Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paint interior doors white or cheaper to just buy new white doors?

Options
  • 10-08-2019 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Paying a handyman to paint 4 interior doors white. He's charging 400 to sand and paint them. Was thinking afterwards it could be as cheap to buy white doors? Have seen doors online for €60. Existing doors are good enough quality

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

And are you going to hang the doors yourself? Cause you'll not get a carpenter to hang them for less the difference off 400- 240, Also the new doors need to be painted, they are not prefinished at 60 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

4 doors he should have them sanded and undercoated in less than half a day, and another half day to finish coat, nice 400 if you can get it, ask around , talking to a woman last week she was giving 250 a day to handyman to put down a wooden floor +paint sitting room 4 days he was there, told her she was mad,--- surly some of your friends know a good guy for this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Not too difficult a job to do yourself if you have the patience. I'm no painter but I did 7 doors last year myself. My local paintshop gave me all the equipment I needed by way of sanding pads/brushes/rollers and I used Colortrend satinwood in a slightly off white colour called Alabaster which is softer than pure white.

Wash doors with saddlesoap and dry, gentle sand with the pad, wipe with slighly damp cloth, 1 coat of the red tinned Bin primer, 1 undercoat and 2/3 topcoats. Job done. Leave each coat dry overnight before applying next coat.

I used 4 inch mohair rollers on the body of the door and a small edging brush for around the panels and the finish is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Not too difficult a job to do yourself if you have the patience. I'm no painter but I did 7 doors last year myself. My local paintshop gave me all the equipment I needed by way of sanding pads/brushes/rollers and I used Colortrend satinwood in a slightly off white colour called Alabaster which is softer than pure white.

Wash doors with saddlesoap and dry, gentle sand with the pad, wipe with slighly damp cloth, 1 coat of the red tinned Bin primer, 1 undercoat and 2/3 topcoats. Job done. Leave each coat dry overnight before applying next coat.

I used 4 inch mohair rollers on the body of the door and a small edging brush for around the panels and the finish is lovely.

you'll find the 4inch gloss rollers[sponge] are a lot better[although your useing satin, their just called that]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I didn't like the finish the sponge rollers left, it was too orange peel like. The fabric roller gave a smoother finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

decky1 wrote: »
    4 doors he should have them sanded and undercoated in less than half a day, and another half day to finish coat, nice 400 if you can get it, ask around , talking to a woman last week she was giving 250 a day to handyman to put down a wooden floor +paint sitting room 4 days he was there, told her she was mad,--- surly some of your friends know a good guy for this project.

I dont get people who think trades should work for nothing never a mention of tools and their skill along with taxes to paid and items supplied if it's only nails screws no it's just the bottom line and them people say ah sure u could do that yourself.
    I've seen countless jobs go wrong because of the attitude ah you could do that yourself and it ends up been an expensive job to put right

Advertisement