Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint to council about my property

Options
  • 10-08-2019 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

A person complained to the Council about a pillar on my property, saying it was jutting out and a tripping danger. The pillar has been there for 64 years, built by the previous owner. Is there any way I can find out who made the complaint-the Council rep who called to me said they didn’t have the details, but I peeped at the form that they had a section that said ‘replied to ... and gave date’ I couldn’t see the name. It just amazed me that so many people have passed it for so many years and now one person wants it removed which would be expensive for us, and simply money we don’t really have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

mockingjay wrote: »
    The pillar has been there for 64 years

I'd imagine you're safe enough at this stage then?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭argentum

Can you take a picture.Id imagine you have the right to see who made the complaint but would imagine you'll have to wait and see if the council put it in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

argentum wrote: »
    Can you take a picture.Id imagine you have the right to see who made the complaint but would imagine you'll have to wait and see if the council put it in writing

They didn’t put anything in writing, just called to the house. I asked what they’d suggest and he said maybe illuminous paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,571 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What height is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP. Forget the law and if its exempt. Who complained etc. Is there an safety issue ? If there is just sort it out.

• Advertisement

What height is it?

4ft by 1.5 ft - holds the gate - it juts out to the pavement about 4 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Why do you need to know who it was? If it's to talk to them and sort it out amicably I doubt the complainant would want to deal with it that way seeing as they went through the council. If the council say it's fine you have nothing to worry about I reckon.

I'm not sure if the complaints process is anonymous or not but I can understand why it might not be a good idea to give out complainant's names, as there might be a fear of retribution.

OP. Forget the law and if its exempt. Who complained etc. Is there an safety issue ? If there is just sort it out.

I’d have to remove gate and post, take it in four inches, problem is there’s a manhole inside the gate, if we start messing with that it could turn into a major job. I simply can’t afford to do it at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'd be inclined to leave it, but could the wall be brought out to the edge of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Anybody who trips over a 4 foot pillar deserves tripping up.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to leave it, but could the wall be brought out to the edge of it?

I’d imagine whoever complained would say we were taking council property then, as it’s on a pavement, and it would also leave the other post uneven or at a slant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

argentum wrote: »

They didn’t put anything in writing, just called to the house. I asked what they’d suggest and he said maybe illuminous paint.

Where is the pillar.
    Could someone trip on it ?
    Is it possible in someones way. Ie they might gain better access to their property
    Maybe signs and reflecters .
    Or to annoy that person more , a few cones around it and take up more space

9935452 wrote: »
    Where is the pillar.
    Could someone trip on it ?
    Is it possible in someones way. Ie they might gain better access to their property
    Maybe signs and reflecters .
    Or to annoy that person more , a few cones around it and take up more space

Lol - cones would definitely block the whole pavement. It’s not beside anyone’s property, we’re the first house on the road and there’s a pavement and another wall before it, so it juts out from that wall, then the gate, another post and our hedge, which juts out as far. You’d have to be very close to the wall to trip on it. Thanks for the reflector idea, I never thought of that.

I’d have to remove gate and post, take it in four inches, problem is there’s a manhole inside the gate, if we start messing with that it could turn into a major job. I simply can’t afford to do it at the minute.

Tricky alright. Can you shave the four inches and put the gate back on?

Make sure your insurance covers this. Could be a compo claim coming

I’d have to do the two posts. €€€

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

endacl wrote: »
    Anybody who trips over a 4 foot pillar deserves tripping up.
    With the claim culture we have in this country, I bet good money that a few scrotes will.

That’s what I’m afraid of.

If it's there so long, hasn't deteriorated or anything and doesn't present a new danger then I'm not sure there's much to be negligent about. Personally I'd paint it a bright colour and move on. In my own park every pillar juts 4-5 inches out from the wall into the pavement, nothing to worry about.

TheChizler wrote: »
    If it's there so long, hasn't deteriorated or anything and doesn't present a new danger then I'm not sure there's much to be negligent about. Personally I'd paint it a bright colour and move on. In my own park every pillar juts 4-5 inches out from the wall into the pavement, nothing to worry about.

I suppose that’s why I’d like to know who it was, there’s lots of walls like that around here too, I’ve been noticing since it happened - some tricky people around here. If it was a mum with a buggy or a wheelchair user I’d try to do the work quicker but one or two ambulance chasers nearby too. I just know it’ll run into hundreds.

• Advertisement

Sounds like someone who likes nothing better to do than waste other people's time personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I hope Maria Bailey isn't reading this.!!;)

I’d have to do the two posts. €€€

With a grinder should be a big job

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭argentum

Just looking out my bedroom window and I live in an estate with 400 houses .Every house has 2 pillars holding up the gates of their driveways.
    Every pillar is sticking out 4 inches onto the footpath.Its bog standard everywhere .
    Ignore them

Advertisement