Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over night work

Options
  • 10-08-2019 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I want some advice on something, I've been working over nights for several weeks now, 5 on and 2 off, 9 hours shift each (40 hours a week), I feel it's getting to me now and I want to to maybe change it to a 4 nights, would that be possible if I approch my employers? or would I be better off searching for a job that's day shifts?

Don't get me wrong I like the job it's just the overnights is tougher than I taught I've no problem doing what ever 8/9 hours during the day.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

probably nothing to lose by asking.
    ive been working 4 12 hours night shifts a werk for past 3 years.
    i enjoy it but thats just me, not for everyone i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nights and people.... some it’s natural as anything and they enjoy it and the extra pay and given the choice they wouldn’t do days ever, I have a friend like that.. Others like me while the pay was great it wasn’t good for me and it affected my health. I had zero energy on my days off and a tonne of sleep issues. Unless you really need the money, or it’s the only job you can find... hang out for a day job...

- less demands on your body
    - socially better, when you are off so are friends and family (hugely important)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I did it for 13 years.
    It was grand for maybe 7-8 years but then it took a toll and my health crashed, I suck it out as pay always great.

I’d say it took me 2-3 years for my health to recover.

On 50% of my previous salary now but I’m way healthier and happier.

I’d say so it of the it is great and you feel ok, if it starts affecting your health and well-being get out as quick as you can

Advertisement