Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gang attack Garda in Drogheda

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

When I was over in Spain even the security on trains had batons/tasers why shouldn’t our gaurds?

Portugal too, in Albufeira (where they don't want to scare away the regular everyday tourists), they use their National Guard for visable policing (not some lad with a clipboard).

It's also pre-emptive now also, so if you appear very likely or on the verge of causing a disturbance you get shown the 24" bigstick as a warning/deterrent. You only get one warning according to latest reports, then it's to the vancage with a limp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Care to link to a post that has made excuses for their behaviour?

Unless you agree with them you are supporting the criminals. The problem with some conspiracy here and in other threads is these attacks (rightly or wrongly) do not get mentioned on the news regardless of who they are so this one would not also. So they are not trying to bury anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

A few months ago, I read a post on another thread a point based on what the poster had seen that black gangs from North Dublin will be the next big Criminal story in Ireland. The poster was referred to as racist etc and no proof of what they were talking about.

While there you have it folks, this is only a small snapshot of it, expect more armed robbery, drug seizures, serious assualts and large scale public order which if you read the local papers etc you will see. Then we will have ghettos forming and once peaceful areas infested with this "new" Irish.

These incidents of Guards getting set upon and dragged in cars will continue until their is a death and the Leo and the the boys will draft some new laws. Same thing happened with Veronica Guerin, Limerick Feud etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

redlead wrote:
    you really are talking some nonsense on this thread. A Garda getting kicked on the head most certainly does not happen too often. A kick to the head can easily cause fatal injuries or long term brain damage and even the most depraved simpleton on the street knows that. If the assailants weren't black I doubt you'd be on here talking nonsense. You can turn that one both ways both skin colour has a nothing got to do with it.

"A Garda member received a minor facial injury during the incident." This is how it is being reported.

Gardai get assaulted daily on Irish streets. I'm not playing it down but hysterical posters want to know why it didn't get better coverage & by more news outlets. Usually a Garda needs to be hospitalised before it is a big story. There were over 100 Garda assaults by water meter protesters alone a few years ago yet not a mention in the papers about it

The real story here is the near riot on the street that night by black and white people. A pub took an 18th birthday party booking and server underage kids who turned it into a rave. The pub didn't seem to have adequate security laid on.

There is a big problem with gangs in Dublin both black and white. Many of these now carry weapons. The Gardai need to get a handle on it. It's only a matter of time before there is a death.

If they weren't black kids no one would have bothered to start a thread. There are gang fights weekly that no one bothers to start a thread about because they are not black kids involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    "A Garda member received a minor facial injury during the incident." This is how it is being reported.

Gardai get assaulted daily on Irish streets. I'm not playing it down but hysterical posters want to know why it didn't get better coverage & by more news outlets. Usually a Garda needs to be hospitalised before it is a big story. There were over 100 Garda assaults by water meter protesters alone a few years ago yet not a mention in the papers about it

The real story here is the near riot on the street that night by black and white people. A pub took an 18th birthday party booking and server underage kids who turned it into a rave. The pub didn't seem to have adequate security laid on.

There is a big problem with gangs in Dublin both black and white. Many of these now carry weapons. The Gardai need to get a handle on it. It's only a matter of time before there is a death.

If they weren't black kids no one would have bothered to start a thread. There are gang fights weekly that no one bothers to start a thread about because they are not black kids involved.

Guards get assaulted daily? what are you raving about.
    No they don't thats why people are outraged at this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Getting warmed up for the Fleadh Cheoil maybe?

leestone wrote: »

Did your mother never tell you to think before opening your mouth? :cool:

https://www.todayfm.com/news/nearly-300-gardai-assaulted-876923

Nearly 300 gardaí have been assaulted on duty over the past 18 months.
    Fifty-one officers in Dublin have been attacked.
    Details released under the Freedom of Information Act show 217 gardaí were injured as a result of assaults last year.
    Two officers received 'serious multiple injuries', while one Garda got an internal head injury.
    Eighteen officers got closed fractures or open wounds.
    A further 81 Gardaí were assaulted in the first five months of this year.
    Forty-five got bruises, grazes or bites, but one Garda received 'serious multiple injuries'.
    Philip McAnenly, the deputy general secretary of the Garda Representative Association, says many more assaults go unreported.
    An Garda Síochána says every support and medical assistance is provided to officers when they are assaulted.

Some posters are determined to make this out to be unique because of the race thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    redlead wrote:
    you really are talking some nonsense on this thread. A Garda getting kicked on the head most certainly does not happen too often. A kick to the head can easily cause fatal injuries or long term brain damage and even the most depraved simpleton on the street knows that. If the assailants weren't black I doubt you'd be on here talking nonsense. You can turn that one both ways both skin colour has a nothing got to do with it.

Absolute bollix. White gangs might be walking around darndale, but you don't expect it in rush, swords, Drogheda, Balbriggan. The last few years black gangs have been running amok, I've seen them first-hand, why you and others are waving the race card is beyond me. Multiple attacks, one common denominator....no getting away from it. Gardai won't do Jack ****, it'll take a few hidings and a couple of deaths.

Hoboo wrote:
    Absolute bollix. White gangs might be walking around darndale, but you don't expect it in rush, swords, Drogheda, Balbriggan. The last few years black gangs have been running amok, I've seen them first-hand, why you and others are waving the race card is beyond me. Multiple attacks, one common denominator....no getting away from it. Gardai won't do Jack ****, it'll take a few hidings and a couple of deaths.

White & Black gangs have been roaming the streets of Clontarf, Kilbarrack, Killester, Raheny, Bayside, Portmarnock & Malahide. This has been an ongoing issue for the last few years. This sort of proves my point. Why haven't you read about these white gangs roaming Middle class areas of Dublin? Because they are not black maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

The higher level Gardaí are not doing enough to deal with gangs in Drogheda and North Dublin, obviously. Zero tolerance policy should be in place. If there was a scrap there during the weekend, they should have sent in the riot squad immediately, not some unarmed, most likely just out of training college Gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Bottom line with issues like this is that Ireland is hopelessly weak on crime whether the perpetrators are white, black, yellow, blue etc the judges the whole process is weak, I don’t blame the guards, take this incident for example you should not walk out of a police station the following day if you swung a kick at a guard on the ground, the book should be thrown at him and a prison sentence is a must however we all know what happens here, he’s let out the following day and probably will never hear anything again, if he does go in front of a judge, a sob story will do the trick to get him off, what I would love to see is a mandatory sentence of ten years handed out to anyone who assaults front line personnel such as gardai, ambulance staff etc. it’s a no brainer and any right thinking person would agree however on we go back to the norm, the judges are failing us in my opinion and are not doing their share in protecting society from violent criminals.

Finally, in terms of race, my opinion is this, a number of years ago I lived in Australia and worked construction, one of the Irish group I got in with was an awful bastard with drink, a hellraiser, he eventually got into serious trouble with police and they deported him, always thought fair play to the aussies, you go there work etc you won’t have bother but if you go and disrespect their country you’re out and that’s the way I feel about it here, you come to contribute to society, work etc very welcome but if you assault a guard or assault anyone for that matter you should be immediately deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

But minors don't get standard prison sentences and there is no legislation to allow it to happen.
    Also no matter the race we can't deport someone born on the island.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

If you want to see lawlessness check out. "London 999 feed" on Twitter.

Ireland is a paradise in comparison. It's eye opening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I think the bottom line in this case is this poor Garda was hung out to slaughter by the justice system.

Calltocall wrote:
    Bottom line with issues like this is that Ireland is hopelessly weak on crime wheter the perpetrators are white, black, yellow, blue etc the judges the whole process is weak, I don’t blame the guards, take this incident for example you should not walk out of a police station the following day if you swung a kick at a guard on the ground, the book should be thrown at him and a prison sentence is a must however we all know what happens here, he’s let out the following day and probably will never hear anything again, if he does go in front of a judge, a sob story will do the trick to get him off, what I would love to see is a mandatory sentence of ten years handed out to anyone who assaults front line personnel such as gardai, ambulance staff etc. it’s a no brainer and any right thinking person would agree however on we go back to the norm, the judges are failing us in my opinion and are not doing their share in protecting society from violent criminals.

The problem with these gangs is that they are almost all under 18 years of age. There is little the Gardai can do with them when they catch them fighting except have their parents collect them from the station. Obviously assaulting a Garda is worse and hopefully they will be charged but if under 18 & if no other convictions all they will get is a slap on the wrist. As far as I know their record is wiped clean on turning 18.

tuxy wrote: »
    But minors don't get standard prison sentences and there is no legislation to allow it to happen.
    Also no matter the race we can't deport someone born on the island.

Well maybe that legislation needs to be changed and it’s not clear from the video what age the people are, and yes you’re correct I should say that my second point refers to people not born here, if you are born here you’re Irish so point one applies as in our weak justice system will mean you’ll get off scot free, great country for criminals,

Calltocall wrote: »
    Well maybe that legislation needs to be changed and it’s not clear from the video what age the people are, and yes you’re correct I should say that my second point refers to people not born here, if you are born here you’re Irish so point one applies as in our weak justice system will mean you’ll get off scot free, great country for criminals,

Yes perhaps legislation needs to be changed but it difficult to decide in what way exactly. We can look to countries with harsher punishments but those countries also have much higher crime rates. Do we really want to make the same mistakes as those countries?
    More prisons, more guards, longer sentences all very easy answers but it's not that simple.

Yes perhaps legislation needs to be changed but it difficult to decide in what way exactly. We can look to countries with harsher punishments but those countries also have much higher crime rates. Do we really want to make the same mistakes as those countries?
    More prisons, more guards, longer sentences all very easy answers but it's not that simple.

It’s not that simple but what we have here isn’t working and is pathetically weak on serious crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It's a two part soloution, and this IS one of the two solutions (along with prevention).

Boris/Patel today announced 10,000 extra prison places, new stop & search powers and much stronger sentencing. Having just realised (10yrs too late) that basic civil and moral order in the uk has gone to pot.

Calltocall wrote: »
    It’s not that simple but what we have here isn’t working and is pathetically weak on serious crime.

But we have very low violent crime rates by Europe standards.
    Of course it's something we should continue to work on or else we will see it become as bad as elsewhere. But if it is currently very low how much more can we realistically improve it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

leestone wrote: »

Yes they do

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There’s a good number

Also various independents

Google it. All the info is out there :)

You keep repeating that without stating who they are.

Why not name them?

What are you so afraid of?

Boggles wrote: »
    You keep repeating that without stating who they are.

Why not name them?

What are you so afraid of?

Clearly he's talking about Renua but does not want to name them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

When I was over in Spain even the security on trains had batons/tasers why shouldn’t our gaurds?

I just assumed that they would have tasers.
    Now your telling me they don’t? That’s crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ScottCapper

splinter65 wrote: »
    I just assumed that they would have tasers.
    Now your telling me they don’t? That’s crazy.

They don’t because the country is run by a bunch of teachers too soft...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

They don’t because the country is run by a bunch of teachers too soft...

Do they even have batons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

MrFresh wrote: »
    Sorry, wrong link. I'll have a look for the other one.

Edit: This is the one I was thinking of. It was from a few years ago.

So last year becomes 7 years ago and we get a story about gardai “investigating possible links”. Laughable.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Lol
    If rte reported every assault on a garda there wouldn't be anything else on the news!
    Not that anyone in the country would even give a crap, people on this thread only care because it appears the offenders are a different colour.

RTE news. Can’t report attacks on Gardai. Will report on lefties outside Google and MASAI whinging about DP conditions. No agenda there.

Faugheen wrote: »
    How can someone from Ghana ‘barely speak English’ when it’s their first language?

It was an analogy, I picked a random African name and a random African country. But better to completely miss the point when you can score semantic points. Bravo.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote:
    Do they even have batons?

They used batons on the crowd the other night. Once the Garda was on the ground the other Gardai got stuck in with the batons I believe.

Advertisement