Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling... how much do branches hold?

• 10-08-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I phoned the AIB customer service line on Friday to order 5k sterling to my branch for Monday morning... They said I would receive a text confirmation that the order was received but I never did... I need to hit the road early monday up north and am just wondering how much sterling would the branch hold on a normal day incase they didn't receive my order?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Depends how big the branch is, as someone who worked for AIB I can say youd need to be going to a fairly big branch for them to have that on hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Would I be better off withdrawing euro and changing it to sterling up north?

Heathen wrote: »
    Hi there,

I phoned the AIB customer service line on Friday to order 5k sterling to my branch for Monday morning... They said I would receive a text confirmation that the order was received but I never did... I need to hit the road early monday up north and am just wondering how much sterling would the branch hold on a normal day incase they didn't receive my order?

Thanks

Very unlikely an order that big would be ready one working day later, you usually need a few days notice (as another ex AIB worker )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Revolut card is totally free. Top up with euro and you can exchange it to sterling instantly on the card. It's considerably cheaper to convert money too

Worth thinking about for next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Don't they have pass machines up north too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Don't they have pass machines up north too.

Daily limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Heathen wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks

You phoned a bank asking for 5k in “foreign currency” by the next working day (banks tend to work a mon-fri)

If you need to hit the road early why did you wait until Friday to ask/order the money?

Please have all your account details and ID with proof of address for when you go into the bank, this will help the bank personnel IF they have the 5k sterling available, they may have to ring around other local banks to try gather enough, if you are purchasing a large item up north, why not wait till sterling takes a further hit and you get more for your euro (in theory on 5k you could see the difference of a few hundred, if sterling really goes to sh1t with brexit looming)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭BaronVon

The missus had to pre-order €5k at our local BoI, they didn't have it to hand at the branch. So I'd be expecting a larger wait for a foreign currency.....

Advertisement