Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I got two blight resistant breeds- a pink and a white. The pink didn’t grow and the white were very big. No issue re spraying though.

We grow a good garden of stuff here. It is time consuming alright, and you'd buy the veg cheaper, but we do it anyway.
    We've drifted away from stuff that doesn't produce well. Like carrots and peas. We grow a lot of mange tout and dwarf French beans. The beans in particular are brilliant. Tidy little plant, hanging with beans. They crop well and freeze well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I got two blight resistant breeds- a pink and a white. The pink didn’t grow and the white were very big. No issue re spraying though.

Was the white variety "Cara"?
    I think they have a tendency to push out the side of the drills and go green very fast?
    Taste of the Cara I bought was halfway between soapy and floury. Ok ish.

If you want to weed it can be done with 6mm tined harrow and tractor before the potato growth really starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Brings back memories of following the potato digger on Sept evenings, with our buckets and filling up the sacks on the headlands, the father going back over our work with a four pronged fork, uncovering some more and we anxious to finish up and get away.

I have no idea which variety they were, pink and purple ones. You can't beat the flavour of home grown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    I don't mind paying a charge but how do I go about it.
    Sadly you’ll have to contact both technicians & ask to transfer the straws
    Have a similar issue myself
    Can you get a flask to store your own straws and that way you can get any technician

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Was the white variety "Cara"?
    I think they have a tendency to push out the side of the drills and go green very fast?
    Taste of the Cara I bought was halfway between soapy and floury. Ok ish.

If you want to weed it can be done with 6mm tined harrow and tractor before the potato growth really starts.

I think you might be right- cara- got two small bags of seed spuds in B&Q for €5 the place I have garden is an old garden a neighbour used to use before he died- it belongs to a cottage at bottom of our avenue. No tractor- all by hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

BBC is the broadcasting arm of The Guardian these days. If you think thats a good thing there’s no hope for you. Once a saw a vegan promotion followed by benifits of hallal meats on a blurb so they could fit the required diversity budget in.

Lol. No I don't think it is good. But I don't think you are asking that tbh ;) re. vegie promotion - what's up with the the new thead asking about brexit and beef here. Last time it was a question about setting up dog farming enterprise from the same poster. If I remember that went down real well ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Sadly you’ll have to contact both technicians & ask to transfer the straws
    Have a similar issue myself
    Can you get a flask to store your own straws and that way you can get any technician
    TBH I wouldn't have enough numbers to justify buying a flask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Brings back memories of following the potato digger on Sept evenings, with our buckets and filling up the sacks on the headlands, the father going back over our work with a four pronged fork, uncovering some more and we anxious to finish up and get away.

I have no idea which variety they were, pink and purple ones. You can't beat the flavour of home grown.

Kerr Pinks, I'd guess. Definitely my spud of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Probably Kerr's Pink. Speaking to the contractor, who did some rotavating for my Dad, he said the purple ones were Arran Victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Probably Kerr's Pink. Speaking to the contractor, who did some rotavating for my Dad, he said the purple ones were Arran Victory.

Maybe Irenes either.
    Oddly enough I've a drill of Kerrs Pinks this year. It must be 20 year since I grew them.
    I got 6 Irene seed potatoes from a chap too and have them on the end of a drill. When roosters arrived that was the end of Irenes around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I love Rush queens at this time of the year with lots of butter and salt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

TBH I wouldn't have enough numbers to justify buying a flask.

The flask will probably cost less than the fill of nitrogen, and the contract the company will try and tie you into.

Anyone at the Energy in Agri event at Gurteen college yesterday?

Impressions?
    Stand outs?
    Opportunities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭tanko

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The flask will probably cost less than the fill of nitrogen, and the contract the company will try and tie you into.

It costs about €200 to get a flask topped up with liquid nitrogen four times a year. Dovea do it for €175 if you buy €150 worth of straws every three years off them.
    I'm not sure how much a new flask costs now but i'd imagine its multiples of these figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I bought and paid for straws from an AI company and their technician who services our area has them in his flask. Can I get the straws transferred to another technician (that also services our area) but works for a different AI company or is it a no-no.
    It's a yes yes, you bought them, they've to be delivered to where you want them , no big deal at all unless your dealing with oddballs. It's quite normal to get third party straws delivered to technicians. Ring whoever you bought them off and they'll get them either back to base, direct to the other company, or from technician to technician.

Can you keep your own straws in your own flask at your oan farm, without a licence?
    Just wondering....
    And are you limited as to number kept in your flask? ( by yhe number of females in your herd)

Can you keep your own straws in your own flask at your oan farm, without a licence?
    Just wondering....
    And are you limited as to number kept in your flask? ( by yhe number of females in your herd)

I'm not certain but i think that you have to have a current DIY Ai licence in order to buy straws and store them in your flask.
    Yeah there's a limit on the number of straws you're allowed to keep, if I remember right it's 2.5 straws per breeding female.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭148multi

Just wondering....

Don't think it has any thing to do with number of females, have a DIY licence, at times had a lot of straws, it's cheaper to get an ai technician to hold during the off season, there are lads keeping straws without any licence, have dealt with a number of companies and was never asked for licence when buying straws, just 💶.

Thanks Tanko, I knew my licence had a limit on it.
    When we got cleared out of cattle with TB, got a notice from the Livestock Breeding section of the Dept informing me that I couldn't buy any straws untill I bought more females.

You mightnt be adked for your licence, but by golly, you better keep the receipts somewhere safe.
    Licence lasts ten years, and at renewal you could be asked to furnish all receipts for straws purchased during the life of the licence..... and account for their use and total in flask at the current time.

The DIY licence only lasts 5 years, never had any hassle renewing it tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »

Am I right in saying you have your own flask, but don't do the AI'ing yourself?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Ah, that was the source of my problem!
    It was expired three or four years before anyone noticed, then I got the full 3rd degree...

Am I right in saying you have your own flask, but don't do the AI'ing yourself?

No, i do the Ai myself, haven't had a bull here for years.

Anyone at the Energy in Agri event at Gurteen college yesterday?

Impressions?
    Stand outs?
    Opportunities?

Any sinner at all up there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,664 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone go to Virginia show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No, i do the Ai myself, haven't had a bull here for years.

Good stuff. How do you time AI? Do you stick to 8 hours after standing heat?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,578 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Say My Name, went there for 2 years but it's hard to listen to the same Minister speech and no progress. So didn't go this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone go to Virginia show?

No, damp auld day for it.

Water John wrote: »
    Say My Name, went there for 2 years but it's hard to listen to the same Minister speech and no progress. So didn't go this year.

I thought there might have been new developments on the solar or biomass fronts.

I may see what they've up on Facebook so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I see courses on in Fermanagh, would this be recognized in ROI?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement