Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Well folks, is the shopping all done ??

Watching one gift for the girls here, due to be delivered today, not a deal breaker if it doesn’t arrive.

I did groceries yesterday myself while the ladies were away visiting relatives I don’t like to visit. It was a bit manic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »

Watching one gift for the girls here, due to be delivered today, not a deal breaker if it doesn’t arrive.

I did groceries yesterday myself while the ladies were away visiting relatives I don’t like to visit. It was a bit manic.
    I did the veg shopping this morning at the greengrocer, collected the turkey from the butcher and my Sister is getting and cooking the ham.
    Will buy a couple of bottles of wine and a few cans tomorrow in the local shop, other than that everything is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭straight

_Brian wrote: »

Shopping for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

straight wrote: »
    Shopping for what?

Presents, food shopping, farming related - nuts etc, fuel for the few days.......mind you the shops are only closed for a day and most coops will be opened on the 27th....anyway hope this helps you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Shopping for what?

Just after collecting shoppers from town, Dunnes Stores is open from 7 til 12 today, queues for the tills are half way down the aisles all day. Not a parking space to be had anywhere.
    Anyone would think the shops were going to be closed for a month, how much can people eat in three days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just after talking to a neighbour here. She spent 1 1/2 hours queueing in Dunnes today. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Heading off now. My plan was to go this morning but I was waiting for the hoofcare man to arrive. I didn't order a Turkey or ham this year so hopefully there's some left

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was going to go this evening but there was a mouse spotted in the kitchen so had to go hunting, crafty buggers. Will go in the morning instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭straight

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Presents, food shopping, farming related - nuts etc, fuel for the few days.......mind you the shops are only closed for a day and most coops will be opened on the 27th....anyway hope this helps you :D

It's a day or two. Hardly a big deal. People have too much time on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Just after talking to a neighbour here. She spent 1 1/2 hours queueing in Dunnes today. :rolleyes:

We were in Dunnes yesterday morning, queues down the aisles as well...
    No one at the self service, so we halved our shop between the two of us, checked it out ourselves out in 5mins (now, it wasn’t a big shop to be fair)

Think the Dunnes in Bishopstown in Cork is open 24hours today - opened yesterday morning and straights through til tomorrow evening... and am sure they don’t open unless it’s worth their while...

• Advertisement

Completely true...

But, unless you have your Christmas dinner and various treats for Christmas Day bought already, then you need to brave the shops... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'll head in early tomorrow morning for a few packets of sausage meat for later in the year and a few bottles of whiskey for a couple of local lads that did a few turns for me during the year.

I don't understand buying a months food for the few hours the shops are shut. We have a bit more than normal bought, mainly biscuits and wine for visitors but we're not likely to starve if the shops stay closed for a few hours longer on the 26th:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Congrats Limestone. Great time to get married.

May you be happy and healthy.

We didn't get that far yet but she didn't turn me down anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

We didn't get that far yet but she didn't turn me down anyway :D

Good man Limestone.... that'll quiten ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'll head in early tomorrow morning for a few packets of sausage meat for later in the year and a few bottles of whiskey for a couple of local lads that did a few turns for me during the year.

I don't understand buying a months food for the few hours the shops are shut. We have a bit more than normal bought, mainly biscuits and wine for visitors but we're not likely to starve if the shops stay closed for a few hours longer on the 26th:)

Were certified food hoarders all year round so this time of year sees little change.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Who are these people and where do they get their hands on “too much time”??

Still trying to figure out where I’m going to find time to get all the jobs done, never mind go shopping.

Sometimes I ****ing hate being self employed

I went to Tesco. It was crazy. All tills open.No queue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Went to Aldi. Five customers in front of till one, they opened second till for me. As busy as a normal Monday evening. In and out in 20 minutes😆

Odelay wrote: »
    Went to Aldi. Five customers in front of till one, they opened second till for me. As busy as a normal Monday evening. In and out in 20 minutes😆

I went to lidl on the way home from tesco. You could kick football in it. No queue at till. They have 25 % off 6 bottles of wine today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Was away for a few days at the wife’s home place.....was pulling into the house and noticed a car in the yard.....vet....weanling heifer with pneumonia. Auld lad noticed her off her grub this morning, coughing mad by the afternoon. There is always something :eek:

On a happier note off till the 2nd, on a downer the first year in 19 with no Santa Claus :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Was away for a few days at the wife’s home place.....was pulling into the house and noticed a car in the yard.....vet....weanling heifer with pneumonia. Auld lad noticed her off her grub this morning, coughing mad by the afternoon. There is always something :eek:

On a happier note off till the 2nd, on a downer the first year in 19 with no Santa Claus :mad:

Not the same without santy here either!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

whelan2 wrote: »
    I went to lidl on the way home from tesco. You could kick football in it. No queue at till. They have 25 % off 6 bottles of wine today

Went to dunnes today it was mental 8 check outs flat to the mate 8 or 9 trolleys queuing in ever one

We got a 13ft trampoline for the kids as a surprise for Christmas morning. They had one before and got 13 years out of it.Oh was putting it together in a shed yesterday and youngest lad ran in. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Stress Free - How to cook the Christmas dinner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzaV9Rt83xw

Lidl, Tesco and local shop all sold out of Brussels sprouts and Christmas wrapping paper.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Lidl, Tesco and local shop all sold out of Brussels sprouts and Christmas wrapping paper.

Dunno what the attraction is with sprouts? Horrible fecking things...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

They are good for you !!

1. Shred sprouts or slice thinly and set aside
    2. Sauté finely chopped onion in butter and a little veg oil.
    add streaky bacon bits.
    3. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the bacon begins to crisp.
    4. Add the shredded sprouts and toss in the onion and bacon, cook for a further 4 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

They’re nice raw but ye sorta need a hardy stomach for them.
    Had to go and get 200 more stalks this afternoon and more bags of loose sprouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Chilliest christmas eve ive seen in a while.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was walking down the street here a while ago. A crow **** on me :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement