Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

ganmo wrote: »
    Ireland is too small for another layer of bureaucracy

Be great to have a seperate one each side of the M50 though.

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

What's that saying about people seeking power shouldn't be let have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What's that saying about people seeking power shouldn't be let have it?

All the good people don't want anything to do with politics anymore. Too much hassle/intrusion in this social media age.
    What you're left with then are squawkers who enjoy social media and the attention and others who nothing ever registers with.
    An example I'd say is the UK are that little bit further down the line than us with being left with the bottom of the barrel in politics.
    As for the Healy Rae's..

There's no getting away from that this country is being run on the never never.
    And with the real possibility of a Green government getting in power with the Green party being in there whose grasp of reality doesn't extend any further than proposing to rewild cattle grazing ground in the country and moving those rewilded farmers to the city to drink lattes and ride bicycles and bet on racehorses owned by our (will be) new green minister for agriculture which emit flowers and bees and are carbon negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

390kid wrote: »
    Any recommendations on the best calf milk replacer out there?

We used Kieran’s once a day this year, found it good as any other we tried. Was first time trying OAD feeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Any recommendations on the best calf milk replacer out there?

What type of calves, beef or dairy, male or female?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

been a hetic couple of days here,

on saturday we attended a large wedding in co. limerick, left the celebrations there about 1.am and travelled to friends outside clonmel , (o/h very kindly stayed on dry and drove)

left there for a much smaller wedding in the south east on sunday, this was originally planned for end of '20 but the bride's father has terminal cancer & most likely won't still be with us then

the day was 1 of mixed emotions & further saddened for me when i checked my phone which I had turned off since the day b4 to see that a friend for many decades had passed away,

this man was well know to many in the beef and tillage sector and was a real gentleman.

i wish every body a happy new year, & hope it's good for you , stay healthy and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

All the good people don't want anything to do with politics anymore. Too much hassle/intrusion in this social media age.
    What you're left with then are squawkers who enjoy social media and the attention and others who nothing ever registers with.
    An example I'd say is the UK are that little bit further down the line than us with being left with the bottom of the barrel in politics.
    As for the Healy Rae's..

There's no getting away from that this country is being run on the never never.
    And with the real possibility of a Green government getting in power with the Green party being in there whose grasp of reality doesn't extend any further than proposing to rewild cattle grazing ground in the country and moving those rewilded farmers to the city to drink lattes and ride bicycles and bet on racehorses owned by our (will be) new green minister for agriculture which emit flowers and bees and are carbon negative.

Agree on people leaving politics in the UK alright. Death threats send to politicians both
    Of the Brexit debate. A lot of candidates didn't really know the policies of their own party. The Healy raes have it sown up. But have no policies of any use to the country. More candidates will follow like this. The dail is verging on shambolic now. Only getting worse imv.

visatorro wrote: »
    Agree on people leaving politics in the UK alright. Death threats send to politicians both
    Of the Brexit debate. A lot of candidates didn't really know the policies of their own party. The Healy raes have it sown up. But have no policies of any use to the country. More candidates will follow like this. The dail is verging on shambolic now. Only getting worse imv.

What really worries me for this country is these "Green" elements creeping in.
    Of course these green elements are social media disruptors. They actually wallow in their own autosexuality of been known as a disruptor and probably even get paid to do so.
    I'm all for the environment as much as anyone who gets their living from it and want to see it improved on. But bloody hell some of these loopers are being pandered to way too much. The only policies they have is to attack and "disrupt" as much as they can with no economic analysis and no practical work of action on the ground. I was a supporter last year of what the Green party might do for this country but seeing the shyte spouted by their supporters online (now that they smell blood of being in government) of what they want to happen to our most important industry in this country - agriculture. I really fear for this country.
    The objecting to a cheese plant on the basis of "cows are bad for the environment" is just the beginning if these loopers come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Be great to have a seperate one each side of the M50 though.

Inside the m50 would be left leaning and green.
    The problem I have with that...I'm too bloody close to the m50!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

How do you then explain all of the dynasty politicians? Plenty of families priming successors. The Brownes and Darcys here in Wexford are 2 that immediately spring to mind. Neither of those 2 bucks are getting close to 100k (Browne) or about 130k (Darcy) plus expenses in any private sector capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭148multi

For tax purposes, when you send cattle to the factory, are they accounted for the day they are killed? So if tomorrow they account for 2019 though the cheque wouldn’t arrive until the new year?

What about the reduction in stock value and money owed, like a double - in 19 accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

What type of calves, beef or dairy, male or female?
    Beef bull calf have a heifer here struggling to rear one and where locked up so it looks like the only option

Grueller wrote: »
    How do you then explain all of the dynasty politicians? Plenty of families priming successors. The Brownes and Darcys here in Wexford are 2 that immediately spring to mind. Neither of those 2 bucks are getting close to 100k (Browne) or about 130k (Darcy) plus expenses in any private sector capacity.
    Probably the same as how do you explain a dairy successor taking the reins.
    They've been born into it and know what to expect.

One of those two their coping strategy was get down into the pit, milk the cows and leave the world behind. When the parlour and training heifers and lifting buckets of milk is bliss then there's something else terrible going on in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

One of those two their coping strategy was get down into the pit, milk the cows and leave the world behind. When the parlour and training heifers and lifting buckets of milk is bliss then there's something else terrible going on in your life.
    I don't know about that . Certain simple jobs I do on the farm make me forget about time and anything else going on at work . It's not that work is terrible just that sometimes doing simple physical work that I've been doing since I was a child is nice .

It's better than cracking open a bottle of wine or the like to chill out with I reckon anyhow .
    Its been probably 10 years or more since we trained heifers . We used tie the cows into stalls then , I think himself bought 18 heifers all calving together . It was torture and great craic at the same time . She could be a demon sent straight from hell and then change to a grand heifer when we got her tied in and she realised leaving the clusters on and getting milked was nice for her .

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Have a niggling cough/wheeze for the last 6 or 7 weeks so said I'd ring the doc this morning to see would I get an antibiotic. Saw me at 10.15. After sending me to Medical Assesment Unit for 12. Flew out, foddered and back into Limerick again. Not quite how I was planning on spending the last day of 2019 !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I'm not sure which is a worse way of finding a hole in your wellie, by getting wet feet or a thorn into your foot

ganmo wrote: »
    I'm not sure which is a worse way of finding a hole in your wellie, by getting wet feet or a thorn into your foot

A thorn in your foot.

You could get gangrene and die from a thorn.
    The other way you just have squelchy feet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Bullocks wrote: »
    I don't know about that . Certain simple jobs I do on the farm make me forget about time and anything else going on at work . It's not that work is terrible just that sometimes doing simple physical work that I've been doing since I was a child is nice .

It's better than cracking open a bottle of wine or the like to chill out with I reckon anyhow .
    Its been probably 10 years or more since we trained heifers . We used tie the cows into stalls then , I think himself bought 18 heifers all calving together . It was torture and great craic at the same time . She could be a demon sent straight from hell and then change to a grand heifer when we got her tied in and she realised leaving the clusters on and getting milked was nice for her .

I gave a neighbor a hand to wean a few late calving sucklers and tie in the cow's the day after St. Stephens day. There's a good few older lads locally that still use the old tie up stalls to winter sucklers. I couldn't help but smile as I watched the cow's all walk into there "own" stall despite not having been in the shed for about 8 months. There owner was able to walk up to each and put the chain around there neck without any fuss.

If you had the time and interest it's probably as efficient a way of wintering cow's as any and you'd have grand quiet stock although I'd say that homebred replacements would be an advantage. Having said that the same man told me it's usually less stressful for them to be tied around the neck rather than by a halter. I don't know whether that's true or not but he reckoned from experience that they'd fight a rope halter more than the neck chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Beef bull calf have a heifer here struggling to rear one and where locked up so it looks like the only option
    Shine Once A Day is about the best that is available in stores - feed twice, three times a day if you take him off the heifer. It's palatable as well so should help the transition from the heifer but it is expensive. If you have them in and were lucky you could leave him on the heifer and give him a top up of 2 litres twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    Shine Once A Day is about the best that is available in stores - feed twice, three times a day if you take him off the heifer. It's palatable as well so should help the transition from the heifer but it is expensive. If you have them in and were lucky you could leave him on the heifer and give him a top up of 2 litres twice a day.

Agreed on the once a day but I prefer the once a day feeding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone heading out tonight or actually going to stay up to see in the new decade? Have my phone on mute as there's texts from all the groups I'm in going round already. I'll be in bed by 10

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Have a niggling cough/wheeze for the last 6 or 7 weeks so said I'd ring the doc this morning to see would I get an antibiotic. Saw me at 10.15. After sending me to Medical Assesment Unit for 12. Flew out, foddered and back into Limerick again. Not quite how I was planning on spending the last day of 2019 !

All that for a viral chest infection ! Anyway i dont mind as it's a mini MOT in a way. All bloods checked, blood pressure checked, heart trace done and a chest X ray. Clear on all just to wait on some bloods.
    Over to the sisters in a while for a few cans of Heino. Happy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    All that for a viral chest infection ! Anyway i dont mind as it's a mini MOT in a way. All bloods checked, blood pressure checked, heart trace done and a chest X ray. Clear on all just to wait on some bloods.
    Over to the sisters in a while for a few cans of Heino. Happy New Year.

Just had all that myself too, If a cough lasts longer than two or three weeks these days, GPs like to get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Carpentry would be an exaggeration but got a door on the stable to be.
    This shed held horses last back in the 1950’s maybe.
    The shed to the left is next, unused since the 70’s and it will be a tack/ store room.

Slow progress but progress at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    The shed to the left is next, unused since the 70’s and it will be a tack/ store room.

Are the kids into horses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Bit of sing song organised in the neighbours guesthouse. 2 lads with guitars and laptop. Good craic last yr. Had to sing Deportees on my own as they didn't know it. I'll give Spancill Hill a go if I'm asked tonight. Coming back up home around midnight to let off a few fireworks. Launch rack all set up. Back down then for more music and craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

He did very little milking. He had a farm manager there and on weekends his younger brother used be expected to come home and do a share of it even though it was not he getting the place. He has it set now so obviously politics is handier. He might need it in a few months, his vote in the Gorey district appears to be in serious decline. In his own local polling station last time I think he got 4 votes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

_Brian wrote: »

You'll need a second "companion" equine and it's a slippery slope after that without any cure!!! I hope that the budding horse enthusiast gets countless hours of enjoyment out of your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone heading out tonight or actually going to stay up to see in the new decade? Have my phone on mute as there's texts from all the groups I'm in going round already. I'll be in bed by 10

I'm not anyway. Too old for that ****e. When I was young and single I'd an interest. Not anymore.
    Whatever you do just remember if you had a bad 2019 that no 5 seasons are the same. If you had a good 2019 well... it might level off abit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »

We were staying put but was invited over to a friends house who had a wee accident before Christmas so heading over there instead.

Happy New Year to you all, may we all here again this time next year arguing as usual:)

And the girls wish you a Happy New Year as well.
    7YwnNDl.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement