Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

_Brian wrote: »
    Carpentry would be an exaggeration but got a door on the stable to be.
    This shed held horses last back in the 1950’s maybe.
    The shed to the left is next, unused since the 70’s and it will be a tack/ store room.

Slow progress but progress at least.

Errrm, hate to say this, but the timber brace is in the wrong direction, timber in compression, steel is tension..
    Otherwise, welcome to the horse world, your pocket may never forgive you, but your heart will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are the kids into horses?

Youngest is.
    Loves it, as she does all animals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Youngest is.
    Loves it, as she does all animals

Does that cause issues with the cattle, and slaughter?

Reason I ask is ours is very much heading down the same path, and whilst she is only small yet - you can see the slaughter of animals doesn’t somehow sit well with her at times...

Does that cause issues with the cattle, and slaughter?

Reason I ask is ours is very much heading down the same path, and whilst she is only small yet - you can see the slaughter of animals doesn’t somehow sit well with her at times...

Nope, we rear pigs for the table and while she loves piglets and feeding them on she’s very excited when they go to slaughter because when they return it’s a feast.

Both my girls understand that it’s how animals are treated that counts, if they have a good natural life and well cared for, then slaughter is a natural thing.

Anyone heading out tonight or actually going to stay up to see in the new decade? Have my phone on mute as there's texts from all the groups I'm in going round already. I'll be in bed by 10

Out in sisters house, few beers, few games of 25, plenty of crack. Herself won a massive hamper and I won about €10 so all happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was in bed early enough last night. Was woken at 3 bells by a helicopter overhead. No idea what it was at as I couldn't see it from the window, but did see the lights shining down around. Seemed they were looking for someone. Hopefully nothing bad and just some scum on the run. It hung around a good hour beading away. Woke the child and all which is not cool!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Was in bed early enough last night. Was woken at 3 bells by a helicopter overhead. No idea what it was at as I couldn't see it from the window, but did see the lights shining down around. Seemed they were looking for someone. Hopefully nothing bad and just some scum on the run. It hung around a good hour beading away. Woke the child and all which is not cool!

We’re they black hawk helicopters !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

We’re they black hawk helicopters !

I'd be more worried about Merlin or javelin helicopters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We were at a wedding. I was driving. My sister was minding our 3 so didn’t want to stay out all night or leave her ring in the new year on her own. We’re home by 10:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

We were at a wedding. I was driving. My sister was minding our 3 so didn’t want to stay out all night or leave her ring in the new year on her own. We’re home by 10:15.

Asleep by 9 here, first year in a few that i havent rang in the Aussie new year and the Irish new year the following morning either getting shook or sensible.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In the Phoenix park. Youngest 2 have their bikes and eldest lad running in a 5k. Lovely day

Was that near kilbeggan or the brosna?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Reggie. wrote: »
    Was that near kilbeggan or the brosna?

Was yeah. Someone fell in and died. RIP

Was yeah. Someone fell in and died. RIP

Didnt fall in unfortunately

In the Phoenix park. Youngest 2 have their bikes and eldest lad running in a 5k. Lovely day

It’s a nice place for a cycle,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I was up around your general area the last few days Whelan, couldn't spot the new shed though! Plenty of money up that way every house is bigger than the next!

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I was up around your general area the last few days Whelan, couldn't spot the new shed though! Plenty of money up that way every house is bigger than the next!

The last big house ya met was hers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Reggie. wrote: »
    The last big house ya met was hers :)

Ha reminds me of that joke about the cocky yank who went into a bar and got talking to an local Irish lad. Are the locals here tough asks the yank. They are said the Irish man, and do see that road outside, the further back that road you go the tougher the men get. Any where do live asks the yank? I live in the very last house said the Irishman!

Wildsurfer wrote: »

Aye will be pay per viewing shortly..... my dad doesn't stop talking about it. He said everytime he walks out of the shed he stands back and admires it. At last I might have done something right.

Aye will be pay per viewing shortly..... my dad doesn't stop talking about it. He said everytime he walks out of the shed he stands back and admires it. At last I might have done something right.

Infrastructure like that is a legacy to the farm, future generations will be thankful for the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Called to see an old neighbour this morning. He has a couple of heifer goin to the mart soon. One of them is awful dirty. I mean the sh1t is caked on. They are on straw. He wants to get her cleaned up before he brings them to the mart. What's the best way of doin getting it off? I tried for a couple of mins just trying to peel it off but it's well dried in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

jimini0 wrote: »
    Called to see an old neighbour this morning. He has a couple of heifer goin to the mart soon. One of them is awful dirty. I mean the sh1t is caked on. They are on straw. He wants to get her cleaned up before he brings them to the mart. What's the best way of doin getting it off? I tried for a couple of mins just trying to peel it off but it's well dried in.

Leaving her out to the paddock might help a bit would hosing and shampooing work on caked $hit i dont know.

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

An early contender for tweet of the year:D
    https://twitter.com/EnglishRachael/status/1212612967017144326?s=19

That's my parents 50th wedding anniversary;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭straight

Infrastructure like that is a legacy to the farm, future generations will be thankful for the work.

Or they might curse it because they've to keep going seeing as theirs such a fine shed.

Leaving her out to the paddock might help a bit would hosing and shampooing work on caked $hit i dont know.

I did suggest letting her out into the rain but that was a definite no

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭straight

It's not going to affect the price, they might just weigh a little bit more.

straight wrote: »
    It's not going to affect the price, they might just weigh a little bit more.

She is bad though. He is a lovely man so I will clean her up for him.
    Just looking for advice on what's the best way of doin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

When dad was buying horses the odd one used come like that, straight out of a shed with sh1t caked on. He used soak a patch with olive oil and leave it soak in, following morning used pull lumps out of it. Was still a slow dirty job but it did ease it a bit

• Advertisement

I did suggest letting her out into the rain but that was a definite no

Awful hard to help some people :(
    If you try and strip it dry it will pull an awful lot of hair off..

Light powerwasher and loads of soap ?
    germany-cattle-show-jun-2008-shutterstock-editorial-8177707a.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement