Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

TL17 wrote: »
    Really love "Major" - Charollais bull in That farming life. Never thought a bull could be so quiet. Excellent programme too

Reading an article recently that he turned out to be infertile. The stock bull was also infertile so all cows were dry. Some hit to take. But the funny sheep kept them a float last yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Base price wrote: »
    When I was a child, my parents (actually my Dad) considered buying a island for us to move too. I think it was off the coast of Clare but I could be wrong. I must ask my elder siblings about it.

I know a few farmers with islands on the shannon estuary. A relative of mine had a simmental heifer for sale on Donedeal recently. Two guys came to look at her. I was there too at the time. They looked at her, looked at her mother and agreed between them that she was grand and quiet. Bought her there and then...no haggling. Relative was delighted.
    It didn't add up for me, so I started asking questions about where they were farming etc. Turned out the guy buying had a big island and he wanted to put her on it for the winter. He says to the other guy as they are leaving - "We'll drop her out tomorrow and we'll try and load that Limousin bullock while we're at it"....

Docility was number one on his priority. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I wouldn't get the attraction of an island.
    Too hard to get the milk lorry out and then the constant raids of Vikings.
    And no one can hear you scream. Nope not for me.

Edit: I think Horse Island is for sale still off Cork if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I wouldn't get the attraction of an island.
    Too hard to get the milk lorry out and then the constant raids of Vikings.
    And no one can hear you scream. Nope not for me.

Edit: I think Horse Island is for sale still off Cork if anyone's interested.

It is ...

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-horse-island-roaring-water-bay-schull-co-cork/112806
    The island's farm yard consists of a main cattle shed, an implement shed as well workshop and generator shed. All sheds are situated around a concrete yard. The cattle shed is a modern 7 bay "A" frame shed divided into a part slatted unit and hard standing.

The divisions within the shed are such to give flexibility to livestock movements and separation. The implement shed is a 3 bay "A" frame shed with internal workshop and stores. The shed has concrete flooring and part concrete and stone side walls with extruded aluminium cladding above.

But not a horse anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I know a few farmers with islands on the shannon estuary. A relative of mine had a simmental heifer for sale on Donedeal recently. Two guys came to look at her. I was there too at the time. They looked at her, looked at her mother and agreed between them that she was grand and quiet. Bought her there and then...no haggling. Relative was delighted.
    It didn't add up for me, so I started asking questions about where they were farming etc. Turned out the guy buying had a big island and he wanted to put her on it for the winter. He says to the other guy as they are leaving - "We'll drop her out tomorrow and we'll try and load that Limousin bullock while we're at it"....

Docility was number one on his priority. :D

I was on Scattery Island on 22nd November 1963, I'll always remember the date because JFK was assassinated, can't remember much about the island, think there were cattle on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

When I was a child, my parents (actually my Dad) considered buying a island for us to move too. I think it was off the coast of Clare but I could be wrong. I must ask my elder siblings about it.

Mutton island?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

I was on a 200 acre island outside Kildysart a few years back, lovely area. A few farmers had small little 1/2 acre islands that side of Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mutton island?
    It may not have been off the Clare coast and as I vaguely try to remember, (I was 7 or 8 yo at the time) it could have been off the Wexford/Waterford coast :confused:

I will ask my Sister and eldest Brother about it over the next few days.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Some prices here
    It was one of my favourite places to eat when traveling to and from agri shows in the North, especially Balmoral. It was always pricey during the 90's but you got full plates and excellent service.

I haven't been in it since then but those prices are simular to Dublin/Cork/Galway city restaurant prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It was one of my favourite places to eat when traveling to and from agri shows in the North, especially Balmoral. It was always pricey during the 90's but you got full plates and excellent service.

I haven't been in it since then but those prices are simular to Dublin/Cork/Galway city restaurant prices.
    It's only up the road from me. We go for a meal there once a year. It was ohs birthday yesterday. Food is good but not cheap and we feel very out of place there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's only up the road from me. We go for a meal there once a year. It was ohs birthday yesterday. Food is good but not cheap and we feel very out of place there.

I wouldn't consider it expensive, if you want to be ripped off go to the Wineport in Athlone..... expensive, rushed, and small meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Only after getting over the partying for New Years in Dingle with a few friends. Well worth the trip. Think I'm getting a dose of this cold/flu. Every joint in my body aches and it's like needles everytime I hit a pothole, currently hauling loose straw at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

The chief was in it the other day. Wasn't overly gone about it. She had my card so the price didn't worry her. Ate in a French restaurant in Dublin before, 330eur for the two of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

One of the duckponds in Centennial Park, Sydney

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I'm just home from visiting the partner and son of a neighbour. He fell through a skylight in a shed last night and made bits of his arm and hip! With time he will be ok but it could so easily have been the end if he'd landed head first! Be careful out there lads and lasses, it's very simple lives change.

One of the duckponds in Centennial Park, Sydney

I got sent videos on WhatsApp of fellas with cows and the fire coming towards them. Some shít situation to be in, looking at total and utter devastation and very little, if anything you can do to prevent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If anybody wants to keep an eye on the new CAP and how it will develop might want to keep an eye on Alan Matthews.
    https://twitter.com/xAlan_Matthews/status/1213734388158083072?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Skylights have been one of my pet hates for a long time. Hope he recovers well.

• Advertisement

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I got sent videos on WhatsApp of fellas with cows and the fire coming towards them. Some shít situation to be in, looking at total and utter devastation and very little, if anything you can do to prevent it.

Must be fairly rough near where ye were in Moxy now?

Better living everyone

Must be fairly rough near where ye were in Moxy now?

I didn't hear much from out there. I know it was burning out around Penrith alright

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I didn't hear much from out there. I know it was burning out around Penrith alright

Got a few snaps from warwick farm and liverpool ones that started the weekend not sure if they spread or were contained though just getting closer and closer to the city each day

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Grrrrrrr 😡
    Sunday night busy head can’t sleep 🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Got a few snaps from warwick farm and liverpool ones that started the weekend not sure if they spread or were contained though just getting closer and closer to the city each day

Just came across this, the size of the areas on fire is mind boggling.
    https://twitter.com/SamTalksTesla/status/1213878406598651904?s=19

Small flicker on that map over the farm here now 😳 weve escaped well here just a smoke haze on saturday, the new spot looks to be getting a few around it all the same

Better living everyone

Small flicker on that map over the farm here now 😳 weve escaped well here just a smoke haze on saturday, the new spot looks to be getting a few around it all the same

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just in case ye're living under a rock.

Ricky Gervais completely ripped it last night at the Golden Globes.

https://youtu.be/aBroP4vDcOk

Well done that man!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement