Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Prime time investigates on the ESB would leave you thinking wtf, shutting down power stations for burning peat like their saviors of the planet, all the while oil is leaking all over Dublin from underground cables and they couldn't give a fiddlers

Anyone aware of how they operate the fish passes at Ardnacrusha would not be suprised by any of it. That whistleblower needs to be wrapped in cotton wool out of the resources of his former employers to encourage others to come forward on such matters within the ESB and other state and semi-state agencies who spend vast amounts of money greenwashing their image instead of cleaning up their act in regards to their actual environmental record

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Anyone able to provide a link or send me in the right direction to what the yearly price of a tonne of barley was for the last 15-20 years. It’s for the youngster school project. He thought it would be in cso but doesn’t appear to be there. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Tileman wrote: »
    Anyone able to provide a link or send me in the right direction to what the yearly price of a tonne of barley was for the last 15-20 years. It’s for the youngster school project. He thought it would be in cso but doesn’t appear to be there. Thanks
    Here is a link that seems to give the info you want.
    https://statbank.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Database/eirestat/Agricultural%20Input%20and%20Output%20Absolute%20Prices/Agricultural%20Input%20and%20Output%20Absolute%20Prices_statbank.asp?SP=Agricultural%20Input%20and%20Output%20Absolute%20Prices&Planguage=0
    If you scroll down to archived tables it gives info for older years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Base price wrote: »

Hi bass, unfortunately that just seems to show the price of barley from merchants to farmer after they have processed it. He is trying to see what price the farmer receiver for his tonne of barley and marketed barley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Tileman wrote: »
    Hi bass, unfortunately that just seems to show the price of barley from merchants to farmer after they have processed it. He is trying to see what price the farmer receiver for his tonne of barley and marketed barley.

might take a bit of digging through posts but theres 5 years of info on the IFA's site
    https://www.ifa.ie/market-reports/market-reports-10/page/22/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Anyone aware of how they operate the fish passes at Ardnacrusha would not be suprised by any of it. That whistleblower needs to be wrapped in cotton wool out of the resources of his former employers to encourage others to come forward on such matters within the ESB and other state and semi-state agencies who spend vast amounts of money greenwashing their image instead of cleaning up their act in regards to their actual environmental record

The sheer level of bluster and inability of the head man interviewed to own up and just simply say we messed up big time and the whistleblower was right was what most stood out, given the fantasyland stuff the climate action plan was coming out with re banning the sale of diseal cars by 2030, and no ncts given by 2045 I'd love to know who in government could say with a straight face the esb will have charging points installed nationwide in the required timeframe, given it takes them 3 years to fix oil leaks beside water courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

whelan2 wrote: »
    My mother got a call today from an 051 number claiming to be from the revenue commissioners. When I ring the number it doesn't ring. Anyone else get this call.

This is an absolute scam

DO NOT give them anything. This happened to me last year and i was expecting a small refund from revenue at the time and they rang "to confirm my bank details" they ****ed up though because they said the amount was USD 650 or whatever it was. Had they said EUR I wouldn't have been as alert.

As soon as he said USD i noticed immediatly the strong Asian accent on him and challenged him on it. I called him every name under the sun!!

This was from a waterford number as well

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Panch18 wrote: »
    This is an absolute scam

DO NOT give them anything. This happened to me last year and i was expecting a small refund from revenue at the time and they rang "to confirm my bank details" they ****ed up though because they said the amount was USD 650 or whatever it was. Had they said EUR I wouldn't have been as alert.

As soon as he said USD i noticed immediatly the strong Asian accent on him and challenged him on it. I called him every name under the sun!!

This was from a waterford number as well

Ah them Waterford crowd are no better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The sheer level of bluster and inability of the head man interviewed to own up and just simply say we messed up big time and the whistleblower was right was what most stood out, given the fantasyland stuff the climate action plan was coming out with re banning the sale of diseal cars by 2030, and no ncts given by 2045 I'd love to know who in government could say with a straight face the esb will have charging points installed nationwide in the required timeframe, given it takes them 3 years to fix oil leaks beside water courses
    He was in no way contrite or sincere and I didn't like the fact that he hardly blinked. I think he only blinked once in the interviews. Never trust people who don't blink.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If anyone wants to read on an alt option to farming for food, this is an interesting hypothesis.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/08/lab-grown-food-destroy-farming-save-planet

We have seen this promoted before, food from labs, but will it take hold?

Also programme on Ch 4 at 10pm tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Base price wrote: »
    He was in no way contrite or sincere and I didn't like the fact that he hardly blinked. I think he only blinked once in the interviews. Never trust people who don't blink.

Wasn't it Claude Greengrass in Heartbeat that couldn't stop blinking when he was lying. He'd have been going 90 if he was the ESB rep last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wasn't it Claude Greengrass in Heartbeat that couldn't stop blinking when he was lying. He'd have been going 90 if he was the ESB rep last night.

I always know when the kids are lying here. They are very very bad at it. It's very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

whelan2 wrote: »
    I always know when the kids are lying here. They are very very bad at it. It's very funny

Boss lady here has that down to a fine art.:o
    And not only with the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Water John wrote: »
    If anyone wants to read on an alt option to farming for food, this is an interesting hypothesis.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/08/lab-grown-food-destroy-farming-save-planet

This will ultimately seek to serve Channel 4's own 7-figure stake in the Meat Free Company. Having an idiot with agenda to front it also helps

The argument that, extensive ag is worse than intensive ag that he says, I find hard to get my head around. He would have a fair job in convincing me that he's on a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I saw a tweet a few days ago by George condemning the controlled burning of heath land for grouse and estate management. This was a small burn that is done in rotation to provide fresh shoots for grouse. A small section is done every year and at a time of year now that it's controllable. The tweet went something like at a time of climate crisis that it was idiotic and anti nature.
    It got something near 7 thousand likes for that. We've entered the age of cult figure at this stage on SM with people so far removed from the land that they think they're entitled to the same voice as people who were born and reared managing that land.
    Worse ..they actually believe they know better. And well. .they have to follow someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I saw a tweet a few days ago by George condemning the controlled burning of heath land for grouse and estate management. This was a small burn that is done in rotation to provide fresh shoots for grouse. A small section is done every year and at a time of year now that it's controllable. The tweet went something like at a time of climate crisis that it was idiotic and anti nature.
    It got something near 7 thousand likes for that. We've entered the age of cult figure at this stage on SM with people so far removed from the land that they think they're entitled to the same voice as people who were born and reared managing that land.
    Worse ..they actually believe they know better. And well. .they have to follow someone.

I presume you've seen the tweet about the 'burn line' in an AU forest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

The argument that, extensive ag is worse than intensive ag that he says, I find hard to get my head around. He would have a fair job in convincing me that he's on a winner.

I would agree with this...

However - I also think that new foods will be created that will provide protein, that will replace meats and the like.
    Whether these foods will be created from an algae or fermented or bacteria or what, I don’t know, but I think it will happen - and I don’t think it’s a bad thing...

I think he rightly points out in the article that it all depends on who owns it - if it’s big business (which is most likely) then everyone loses.
    If it’s owned by everyone, making food more available to everyone, well, I think this can only be a good thing... But, I think this is a dream really...

I would agree with this...

However - I also think that new foods will be created that will provide protein, that will replace meats and the like.
    Whether these foods will be created from an algae or fermented or bacteria or what, I don’t know, but I think it will happen - and I don’t think it’s a bad thing...

I think he rightly points out in the article that it all depends on who owns it - if it’s big business (which is most likely) then everyone loses.
    If it’s owned by everyone, making food more available to everyone, well, I think this can only be a good thing... But, I think this is a dream really...
    The thing with algae. You still have to provide nutrients. Now where do those nutrients come from? Antibiotic laced human manure, livestock manure (well that would go against monbiots idea or Yara fertilizer from phosphate and potash mines and nitrogen from the haber Bosch process.

The beginning all and end of life is soil. We've evolved eating from it and eating life that ate from it. Our bodies have grown to deal with all bacteria that comes from it and our health depends on it. Hell our mental health depends on it.
    Natural algae gets its life from soil. People really just want to play God but knowing them it won't be them reaping the consequences.

If they want their fix they should just watch Star Trek.

• Advertisement

I presume you've seen the tweet about the 'burn line' in an AU forest?

No. Why does he have an opinion on that too?
    Probably called Aborigines idiots too for doing such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

The thing with algae. You still have to provide nutrients. Now where do those nutrients come from? Antibiotic laced human manure, livestock manure (well that would go against monbiots idea or Yara fertilizer from phosphate and potash mines and nitrogen from the haber Bosch process.

The beginning all and end of life is soil. We've evolved eating from it and eating life that ate from it. Our bodies have grown to deal with all bacteria that comes from it and our health depends on it. Hell our mental health depends on it.
    Natural algae gets its life from soil. People really just want to play God but knowing them it won't be them reaping the consequences.

If they want their fix they should just watch Star Trek.

Maybe - but not necessarily. For instance, seaweed burgers :)

I might need to work on the marketing angle there, and the taste is an acquired one nutritionally they might not be so bad - am sure they’ll sell like hot cakes :)

Edit : I agree with you though that producing food in a lab via some kinda mad alchemy is not a good idea.
    But, I don’t think we should close our minds in a ‘everything that could be invented has been invented’ sort of way either...

I might need to work on the marketing angle there, and the taste is an acquired one nutritionally they might not be so bad - am sure they’ll sell like hot cakes :)

Edit : I agree with you though that producing food in a lab via some kinda mad alchemy is not a good idea.
    But, I don’t think we should close our minds in a ‘everything that could be invented has been invented’ sort of way either...
    Seaweed is still fed from nutrients in seawater. Which those nutrients have all been leached from land since land and the seas began.

Algae needs a hell of a lot more nutrients than seaweed. Otherwise we'd be up to our oxters in algae blooms.

Spirulina you still have to feed it nutrients along with the seawater. And animal manure is found to be the best feed for it. But that won't fit the talk so it will be npk.
    And npk is only npk if you get me.
    If you are looking for brix which really everyone should be now, you won't get that from npk in a bag.

I'm not closing my mind but I know what's good and bad from the little I've read and done. I fear though our highers up though have minds fully closed only to one thing.
    And it ain't health.

Edit: The microplastics in sea products and air will have everyone killed anyway.
    We've reached our pinacle as a species. Life expectancy will be on the downward slope now between everything now. Dwell on that people!! :D
    Men will become women and women, men and something, something, unicorns due to plastic and the world we're in now.

Sea burgers!
    And their biscuit buddy sea biscuit!!

I see a remake!

Looking at this, a great man to use a sweep of language to justify his case is Monbiot.

Looking at this, a great man to use a sweep of language to justify his case is Monbiot.

Hitler was a great orator too so I'm told. ;)

Hitler quotes:

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.

Words build bridges into unexplored regions.

I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few.

The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.

Gas fella that Hitler lad. :pac:

His piece on horticulture could have come from a lot of organic growers. Basically use cover crops and incorporate into the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You got be kidding right?

https://lachefnet.wordpress.com/2020/01/08/techno-optimism-run-amok-george-monbiots-latest-delusion/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I posted this previously. Good idea to look up who is pushing this stuff ...

George Monbiot is a radical vegan who once helped set up an alternative green party in the UK because the greens weren't radical enough. He believes that the world renowned landscapes such as the Lake District National Park in the UK are an abomination.

He also famously tried to carry out an unsuccessful citizen's arrest of John Bolton, a former US ambassador to the United Nations at a literary festival.

Some people do seem to be obsessed with cows for sure but its not just cows Monbiot is after either - he doesn't want anyone eating eggs either. Oh and oddly he has even claimed that "David Attenborough has betrayed the living world he loves"

He certainly not viewed positively by all
    See:
    https://mronline.org/2018/01/18/monbiot-is-a-hypocrite-and-a-bully/

• Advertisement

Hitler quotes:

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.

Words build bridges into unexplored regions.

I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few.

The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.

Gas fella that Hitler lad. :pac:

That's trump all over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement