Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Tbh I reckon whatever the program will be - it will be far from balanced or logical.

It is. Though he did shoot a deer, cry and eat it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

I don't watch C4 but from adverts tonight they seem to be the vegan channel. Advertising an influencer whose sole purpose is to set pigs free into anywhere was advertised during the break. Before this programme was meat the family where they befriend an animal then choose whether to kill it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Water John wrote: »
    Looking at this, a great man to use a sweep of language to justify his case is Monbiot.

An extreme vegan preaching about agriculture is little better than the pope preaching about contraception...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

His piece on horticulture could have come from a lot of organic growers. Basically use cover crops and incorporate into the soil.

Not a no till guy then?
    What was his take on grassland sequestering carbon?
    I see from other social media he mentioned about trees. Was it from a carbon perspective and how did he propose to store that tree carbon?
    Any other crops mentioned from a carbon perspective?
    Anaerobic digestion plants?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The science of animals and soil has moved on but Monbiot hasn't looked at it. Pastureland farming can sequester carbon, create a biodiverse habitat and feed livestock. Also the methane isn't always increasing as it has a limited life.

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    That's trump all over

I was thinking of veganism.
    You could apply all those to veganism atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

gozunda wrote: »
    An extreme vegan preaching about agriculture is little better than the pope preaching about contraception...

I lived through the dogmatic and cult of the Catholic Church but it’s nothing to the vegan cult and worshippers on Twitter.
    The early missionaries have nothing on the ardent fervour of this new all encompassing cult.
    People are really sucked into the planet is dying and will be dead in a few years. please watch
    https://youtu.be/oYhCQv5tNsQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The science of animals and soil has moved on but Monbiot hasn't looked at it. Pastureland farming can sequester carbon, create a biodiverse habitat and feed livestock. Also the methane isn't always increasing as it has a limited life.

But those are facts, John.

Facts aren't welcome in any discussion on the subject, all that matters are that somebody believes in something and will continue to believe in that despite mountains of evidence to the contrary. The more extreme elements have a very striking similarity to evangelical preachers of some of the more, erm, ridiculous of the christian churches.

Have a google of the 7th day Adventists and their food beliefs and iconography;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Noticed a draft in the lads room when I was putting them to bed. Called window company to sort it- turned out the blind guy moved every vent in the house and air leaking in every room.

Big difference in warmth of tiles and house without heating going on.

Have a meter on our heating system so will monitor usage over the next week so see a change.

Cost about €660 to heat house and water in 12 months. I reckoned it should be lower seen as it’s a new house.

Hopefully sorted now.

€660 isn't bad, possibly get it down to €4/500. Not a lot to be squeezed out of it.

The other side of the sustainable debate is, reading in the IFJ, two case studies in NI. They have all the subsidised stuff, panels, windmills etc but what was glossed over was that each cow was on 3.5t concentrates. That's not sustainable farming and that needs to be said.
    Every day a cow is milking, indoors all year round she eats 18lb of ration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Noticed a draft in the lads room when I was putting them to bed. Called window company to sort it- turned out the blind guy moved every vent in the house and air leaking in every room.

Have a meter on our heating system so will monitor usage over the next week so see a change.

Cost about €660 to heat house and water in 12 months. I reckoned it should be lower seen as it’s a new house.

Hopefully sorted now.

What kinda heating is that Kollege - air to water I assume is it?

Our house is about 10 years old, oil central heating and downstairs is a bit of a disaster to heat, takes a few hours. Then upstairs heats in about 20mins...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Hopefully sorted now.

The blind guy wasn’t the only blind guy!

€660 isn't bad, possibly get it down to €4/500. Not a lot to be squeezed out of it.

The other side of the sustainable debate is, reading in the IFJ, two case studies in NI. They have all the subsidised stuff, panels, windmills etc but what was glossed over was that each cow was on 3.5t concentrates. That's not sustainable farming and that needs to be said.

Some meal bill.

Yeah I reckon €500 is the target- We use a lot of hot water which adds to the bill.

This is an interesting quote;
    'Dr. Michelle Cain of the Oxford Martin Programme on Climate Pollutants says ruminant livestock such as cattle do not cause global warming, if their population is stable or is falling' Irish Examiner Farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Probably doing yields north of 9000 litres so after meal is payed at 30 cent a litre they still have 2 grand a cow to play with
    It's not really any less sustainable given the surplus of grain produced worldwide, then poisoning ground with fertilizer almost year round to grow grass, all the heros that will be out with the spreaders shortly will have a good chunk of that fertiliser end up in water courses, but that's perfectly acceptable in the eyes of our government funded ag advisory body body as its fuelling the grass to milk mantra

What kinda heating is that Kollege - air to water I assume is it?

Our house is about 10 years old, oil central heating and downstairs is a bit of a disaster to heat, takes a few hours. Then upstairs heats in about 20mins...

Yeah it’s air to water. Underfloor. Place is always warm.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    The blind guy wasn’t the only blind guy!

Well the vent was still covered,, the seals were out of line by about 1-2mm each. The wind came from a different direction the night I noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

The new series of Rare Breed starts tonight at 8.30 on UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

tanko wrote: »
    The new series of Rare Breed starts tonight at 8.30 on UTV.

I’d that channel still on sky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Tileman wrote: »
    I’d that channel still on sky ?

Services
    Options
    Other channels
    Utv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Services
    Options
    Other channels
    Utv

Have the sky q box . It’s under
    Home
    Settings
    Manual tuning
    PIN number
    Add channel

Frequency 10.906
    Polar v
    Symbol rate 22
    Fec 2/3
    Standard DVB-S
    Modulation qpsk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Well the vent was still covered,, the seals were out of line by about 1-2mm each. The wind came from a different direction the night I noticed it.

Make sure you have good air flow in the house especially with young children

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

They have had a long interest in renewable energy, if it's the same family that I am thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Surprised Mauty Brosnan didn't get the selling of them, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Some weirdos have taken to leaving toilet roll at the gate outside the house here. Not just yer small Andrex roll, but the bigger ones ya'd find in an office type jacks. Seen it first a few weeks ago, then a second appeared for a few days before it went away. Now today a new one has been left.

What the hell is the point of this? Is it a marker for something or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Some weirdos have taken to leaving toilet roll at the gate outside the house here. Not just yer small Andrex roll, but the bigger ones ya'd find in an office type jacks. Seen it first a few weeks ago, then a second appeared for a few days before it went away. Now today a new one has been left.

What the hell is the point of this? Is it a marker for something or what?

Emergency pit stop on the way home after having a curry:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I saw a tweet a few days ago by George condemning the controlled burning of heath land for grouse and estate management. This was a small burn that is done in rotation to provide fresh shoots for grouse. A small section is done every year and at a time of year now that it's controllable. The tweet went something like at a time of climate crisis that it was idiotic and anti nature.
    It got something near 7 thousand likes for that. We've entered the age of cult figure at this stage on SM with people so far removed from the land that they think they're entitled to the same voice as people who were born and reared managing that land.
    Worse ..they actually believe they know better. And well. .they have to follow someone.

That whole grouse business is not wildlife friendly and represents the horrible histories of those vast Scottish estates and the the exclusive clientèle that partake in it.

That whole grouse business is not wildlife friendly and represents the horrible histories of those vast Scottish estates and the the exclusive clientèle that partake in it.

I bet though George and others like him do be or used to extole about all the wildlife on these vast estates that wouldn't exist only for the land clearances.
    Me thinks he's a bit of a communist who lets land ownership get in the way of his thinking.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the clearances and as a small farmer I'd be on the shipped out to Nova Scotia poor tenants side. But only for it now there's thousands of acres and not a solitary house or yard to be seen only bog, trees and moorland.
    Only for those estates we wouldn't have the osprey, sea eagle and golden eagle.
    There's many in this country a similar occurrence would be their wet dream.

Monbiot et al they always forget money makes the world go round and without money you won't get the wildlife you want.
    Although their current play seems to be knock the people out of the equation in land management and just get them broke off the land and somehow produce food in a giant Ikea somewhere.

Nothing is ever simple in this world. Especially in the black and white world of Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I bet though George and others like him do be or used to extole about all the wildlife on these vast estates that wouldn't exist only for the land clearances.
    Me thinks he's a bit of a communist who lets land ownership get in the way of his thinking.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the clearances and as a small farmer I'd be on the shipped out to Nova Scotia poor tenants side. But only for it now there's thousands of acres and not a solitary house or yard to be seen only bog, trees and moorland.
    Only for those estates we wouldn't have the osprey, sea eagle and golden eagle.
    There's many in this country a similar occurrence would be their wet dream.

Monbiot et al they always forget money makes the world go round and without money you won't get the wildlife you want.
    Although their current play seems to be knock the people out of the equation in land management and just get them broke off the land and somehow produce food in a giant Ikea somewhere.

Nothing is ever simple in this world. Especially in the black and white world of Twitter.

Those game keepers take a fair toll on birds of prey and all other carnivores that come in their way up there.
    That money is spinning in ever decreasing circles if privilege and power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement