Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Those game keepers take a fair toll on birds of prey and all other carnivores that come in their way up there.
    That money is spinning in ever decreasing circles if privilege and power.

So if your ground has grouse on it you're a member of the landed gentry?

You can call me Sir Ganmo so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

ganmo wrote: »

???
    Were talking about the Scottish grouse industry on the shooting estates.
    More nouveau riche than gentry nowadays anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Those game keepers take a fair toll on birds of prey and all other carnivores that come in their way up there.
    That money is spinning in ever decreasing circles if privilege and power.

Just bear in mind over 75 golden eagles were donated from Scotland to Ireland.
    It's probably a way higher figure but that's what Google throws up in a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just bear in mind over 75 golden eagles were donated from Scotland to Ireland.
    It's probably a way higher figure but that's what Google throws up in a short time.

Before protections were brought in their BOP's were on the point of extinction too as the following quote from the records of just one estate shows

"Grouse moors have a near-200 year history of killing large numbers of predators, including many species that are now protected. Records from the 6,500 acre Glengarry estate in Scotland list the following mammals killed between the years 1837 and 1840: stoat (Mustela erminea) and weasel (Mustela nivalis) 301, pine marten (Martes martes), 246, wildcat (Felis silvestris) 198, polecat (Mustela putorius) 106, house cat (Felis catus) 78, badger (Meles meles) 67, otter (Lutra lutra) 48 and red fox (Vulpes vulpes) 11. Birds killed in the same period were: hooded crow (Corvus cornix) 1431, raven (Corvus corax) 475, kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 462, buzzard (Buteo buteo) 285, red kite (Milvus milvus) 275, goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) 63, hen harrier (Circus cyaneus) 63, white-tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) 27, osprey (Pandion haliaetus) 18, golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) 15 and magpie (Pica pica) "

The likes of Osprey, Kites etc. only returned in the last few decades after the government brought in protections, including EU laws etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Before protections were brought in their BOP's were on the point of extinction too as the following quote from the records of just one estate shows

"Grouse moors have a near-200 year history of killing large numbers of predators, including many species that are now protected. Records from the 6,500 acre Glengarry estate in Scotland list the following mammals killed between the years 1837 and 1840: stoat (Mustela erminea) and weasel (Mustela nivalis) 301, pine marten (Martes martes), 246, wildcat (Felis silvestris) 198, polecat (Mustela putorius) 106, house cat (Felis catus) 78, badger (Meles meles) 67, otter (Lutra lutra) 48 and red fox (Vulpes vulpes) 11. Birds killed in the same period were: hooded crow (Corvus cornix) 1431, raven (Corvus corax) 475, kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 462, buzzard (Buteo buteo) 285, red kite (Milvus milvus) 275, goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) 63, hen harrier (Circus cyaneus) 63, white-tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) 27, osprey (Pandion haliaetus) 18, golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) 15 and magpie (Pica pica) "

The likes of Osprey, Kites etc. only returned in the last few decades after the government brought in protections, including EU laws etc.

Tallies with my studies from long ago, and they haven't entirely shed their bad habits either as birdwatcher accounts on twitter would have plenty evidence of shot BOPs everyyear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

ganmo wrote: »

E100 a bird and a dinner in Jonny Foxes ye? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Some weirdos have taken to leaving toilet roll at the gate outside the house here. Not just yer small Andrex roll, but the bigger ones ya'd find in an office type jacks. Seen it first a few weeks ago, then a second appeared for a few days before it went away. Now today a new one has been left.

What the hell is the point of this? Is it a marker for something or what?

Farmer i worked for in WA told me wherever the sheep were being rustled there was always toilet roll left at the scene, their theory was that the sheep were afraid to cross it at night time and that it kept them held in place however i cant see how it adds up now as a loading chute is required for every truck out here.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Must be a test coming up....

RBOZSMw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Some weirdos have taken to leaving toilet roll at the gate outside the house here. Not just yer small Andrex roll, but the bigger ones ya'd find in an office type jacks. Seen it first a few weeks ago, then a second appeared for a few days before it went away. Now today a new one has been left.

What the hell is the point of this? Is it a marker for something or what?

Activist types setting bog rolls free maybe :pac:

Any new bogrolls appeared since?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

gozunda wrote: »

Free supply of bog roll tho. Win win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Farmer i worked for in WA told me wherever the sheep were being rustled there was always toilet roll left at the scene, their theory was that the sheep were afraid to cross it at night time and that it kept them held in place however i cant see how it adds up now as a loading chute is required for every truck out here.
    No sheep on this street!
    gozunda wrote: »

No new ones now. I've left the others there for the moment to see what happens.
    Reggie. wrote: »
    Free supply of bog roll tho. Win win
    Sure it's sapping wet (sometimes that's needed :eek:)

No sheep on this street!

No new ones now. I've left the others there for the moment to see what happens.

Sure it's sapping wet (sometimes that's needed :eek:)

Just imagine it's a wet wipe.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Finally got around to power washing the jeep and trailer. I had moss on the jeep and mushrooms growing in the trailer so I reckoned it was a good time for a spring clean. Now to tackle the machine shed with all the crap built up over the winter. I can just about find stuff atm but it's going to take some shovelling all the same. Just waiting now for a good dry day:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tomorrow should be grand for it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Water John wrote: »
    Tomorrow should be grand for it!!!

Back it to the north and open the back door and side door.

Spotless on Tuesday morning.

Or missing completely

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did you get your scrapers sorted? Had insurance crowd out here on Friday to insure new shed. I was jittery after hearing of your scrapers going on fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you get your scrapers sorted? Had insurance crowd out here on Friday to insure new shed. I was jittery after hearing of your scrapers going on fire

They arrived that morning and replaced the electrical board. That seemed to be all the damage done, the cover went on fire but all the scrapers were still working. It could have been more serious if I hadn't gone out to check the cattle that night.

I'm very nervous now about using the timer so I'll be sticking to manual for this spring anyway, switching it on at 12 pm and again at 8 am and whenever I pass through the house. I was gone by the time the guy was finished so I have no idea what the bill will be yet but it shouldn't be much with 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Any one have a recipe for homemade biestings, had a cow that calved with twins unexpected & no milk.
    Yougart and milk and electrodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

jfh wrote: »
    Any one have a recipe for homemade biestings, had a cow that calved with twins unexpected & no milk.

I'd rather ring the whole country to try to get frozen stuff than a DIY job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'd search for a dairy farmer first. Either that or goat milk. You wouldn't be getting the correct antibodies for the land regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭148multi

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have some black thorn bushes to trim back. My query is if I cut them and transplant them from clippings, in the ground would they grow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

https://youtu.be/o4zIlW_bpeI a show i watched this morning on YouTube about a cattle auctioneer on an island called Tiree off Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

kk.man wrote: »
    I have some black thorn bushes to trim back. My query is if I cut them and transplant them from clippings, in the ground would they grow?

Why would you want to? Blackthorn is a curse, with its shoots popping up all over the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Why would you want to? Blackthorn is a curse, with its shoots popping up all over the place...

Probly for its feeding to wildlife and it stock proofing value, pleased with it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Probly for its feeding to wildlife and it stock proofing value, pleased with it here.

Exactly a stock proof fence. Would also be other types of a similar variety. Would it be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

was getting fill of diesel in the local service station earlier, and this guy asked me were the council giving out sand bags?

said I didn't think so & was his house in danger of flooding,

ah no fear of that he says, but I've a small bit of plastering to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

kk.man wrote: »
    Exactly a stock proof fence. Would also be other types of a similar variety. Would it be possible?

You can dig up rooted suckers in Winter and plant into the new location.

Hardwood cuttings are best taken in Autumn and firmed into a mixture of sand and soilless peat until new growth is visible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Stupid question but what's this joiner called?

20200113-181829.jpg

This particular one pictured is 1' 1/4 to 1 inch. But what's the particular name for this joiner.

*And for any smartarses like myself it's not Fred or Jane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement