Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ye may have heard about nitrogen emissions mentioned in Holland. But ye may not have made the connection to Holland's road and building industry.

Here's an article that looks at what is happening in Holland.
    IMG-20200119-124518.jpg

*I must say the farming articles in the Examiner really go that step further than the farming indo or journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Well that was some game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

whelan2 wrote: »
    Well that was some game.

Super

We could have won by 5!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Well that was some game.

Were you at it?

tanko wrote: »
    Were you at it?

Yup. Santa got tickets for the youngest lad. Unreal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Well that was some game.

Tonight I be like...
    https://twitter.com/LfcOkx/status/1218962558029369344?s=20

Very nervous before salah scored tbh. Young lad was so excited before the game. I think we might have won the premier league

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Very nervous before salah scored tbh. Young lad was so excited before the game. I think we might have won the premier league

After a 30 years wait, I still won't relax till Paddy's day all going well!!

I'm looking only as far as the Wolves game on Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I'm looking only as far as the Wolves game on Thursday night.

You sound like a Klopp/Jim Gavin/Brian Cody combination!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

We'll give ye one sure. Same way we wouldnt begrudge one Sam for our neighbours but the next 30 years will be torture hearing about it. :(

You sound like a Klopp/Jim Gavin/Brian Cody combination!

Been there once or twice over the years, enjoying the football now and just relaxing into the next game.

Saying that though, I'm trolling a United friend of mine for the last few weeks. Payback is a b.....sweet feeling:D

This just popped up on my newsfeed.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/20/it-would-be-kinder-to-shoot-them-irelands-calves-set-for-live-export

It seems the Green party supporters are bringing out their big guns before the election.
    Pointers from the article: calves are being exported to the middle east.
    Temple Grandin the cattle behaviour go to, was brought in and a dilemma was put to her which would be better - a calf not being fed for days or being put down. To which she answered being put down, so that made the grade for the article.
    And apparently now Bothar are in the firing line for exporting dairy stock to dirt poor farmers in Kosovo.

Read it. Ye know the war that's being waged and dirty tricks being played. And what hope has the ignorant non farmer of knowing what's going on but to take articles at face value.

That's all.

Edit: Google Sophie Kevany the co author to see the Irish connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/20/it-would-be-kinder-to-shoot-them-irelands-calves-set-for-live-export

It seems the Green party supporters are bringing out their big guns before the election.
    Temple Grandin the cattle behaviour go to, was brought in and a dilemma was put to her which would be better - a calf not being fed for days or being put down. To which she answered being put down, so that made the grade for the article.
    And apparently now Bothar are in the firing line for exporting dairy stock to dirt poor farmers in Kosovo.

Read it. Ye know the war that's being waged and dirty tricks being played. And what hope has the ignorant non farmer of knowing what's going on but to take articles at face value.

That's all.

No surprise that article is being funded by the Open Philanthropy Project - The US think tank with links to plant food industry interests and the same lot who fund most of the Grudgions anti-animal farming/ pro plant food opinion pieces ...

You dont need to scratch too far tbh ...

"Animals farmed is supported by Open Philanthropy Project ..."

https://www.irishtimes.com/topics/topics-7.1213540?article=true&tag_person=Sophie+Kevany

https://ghgguru.faculty.ucdavis.edu/2019/03/18/guardian-and-opp-ink-deal-to-pen-stories/

We lost our sheepdog this evening. She made it to the grand age of 11 years but was poorly the last few weeks with cancer. Kids are in bits.

Farewell, old friend.
    Xh6c3FT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

We lost our sheepdog this evening. She made it to the grand age of 11 years but was poorly the last few weeks with cancer. Kids are in bits.

Farewell, old friend.
    Xh6c3FT.jpg

Sorry about that Buford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Sorry about that Buford.

We had a fabulous white collie here for 14 yes.

The kids still miss him 6 yrs later.
    Have a German shepherd now. He adores the little one going to be a sad day when he passea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That's all.

I just read it and it seems to be a clear and accurate outline of the issues and reality of the current situation, including measures being taken to alleviate them and other proposes.
    As they say, tough cases mean tough choices.

I just read it and it seems to be a clear and accurate outline of the issues and reality of the current situation, including measures being taken to alleviate them and other proposes.
    Bullsh1t. And you a farmer.

Since when are calves being exported to the middle east?
    You do know what a calf is?

And railroading Temple Grandin into giving the answer they wanted when she just got a dilemma over the phone or by e-mail?

And then critizing Bothar's and Irish farmers work into donating dairy heifers to Kosovo and other parts to give people food and get them on their feet?

Get real man. It was an insidious article designed to do as much damage as possible while having no facts and bending half truths.
    It was payed for by these Seventh Day Adventurists in the U.S. to bolster the Green Parties vote in the election and to gradually get their way of finishing livestock farming for good in this country.

This is not aimed at you Keeper. But I have to laugh at so called regenerative livestock farmers who try to row in behind such articles and what the .... don't realize is that they are supporting their own demise in livestock farming. These SDA's who are bankrolling the money in don't give two hoots whether you've multi species or a bat box they just want an end to livestock farming by any nefarious means possible.
    The truth matters no more in print or media. It's just to get the ratings and if it's off there's no farmer going to bring anyone in the media to court.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

And railroading Temple Grandin into giving the answer they wanted when she just got a dilemma over the phone or by e-mail?

And then critizing Bothar's and Irish farmers work into donating dairy heifers to Kosovo and other parts to give people food and get them on their feet?

Get real man. It was an insidious article designed to do as much damage as possible while having no facts and bending half truths.
    It was payed for by these Seventh Day Adventurists in the U.S. to bolster the Green Parties vote in the election and to gradually get their way of finishing livestock farming for good in this country.

This is not aimed at you Keeper. But I have to laugh at so called regenerative livestock farmers who try to row in behind such articles and what the .... don't realize is that they are supporting their own demise in livestock farming. These SDA's who are bankrolling the money in don't give two hoots whether you've multi species or a bat box they just want an end to livestock farming by any nefarious means possible.
    The truth matters no more in print or media. It's just to get the ratings and if it's off there's no farmer going to bring anyone in the media to court.

Rant over.

It’s obvious the article is a propaganda hack job.
    But that doesn’t mean everyone needs to row in behind high intensity farming either.

The greens getting into government should in theory be a positive thing but the reality is as you say, if the greens get sufficient clout within government it will signal the demise of any animal farming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s obvious the article is a propaganda hack job.
    But that doesn’t mean everyone needs to row in behind high intensity farming either.

The greens getting into government should in theory be a positive thing but the reality is as you say, if the greens get sufficient clout within government it will signal the demise of any animal farming.

Eamonn Ryan wouldn’t know a bull from a bullock and he makes up agriculture policy on the huff. He genuinely hasn't a clue. He would be distroyed in an Agri debate.

Does anyone know is there work ongoing by Teagasc or Bord Bia regarding their actual carbon cycle of Irish agriculture specifically ??

It seems bizarre that groups are being allowed run amok publishing all sorts of mad data against Irish farming and there is no actual scientific evidence that can be pointed to that clears the air.

You constantly see the IPCC being quoted where All Ag emissions is 24% of total, but it intentionally divides our fossil fuel emissions into various categories to minimise the overall impact, it has the result of making ag seem shocking high when in fact all ag and land use is 24% and fossil fuel related emissions is maybe 65-70% of all emissions.

I feel very let down by all these highly funded agencies sitting on their hands doing sfa while a propaganda war is raging against animal farming in Ireland and likely a large portion of the next government will be based on the false information of this war.

kk.man wrote: »
    Eamonn Ryan wouldn’t know a bull from a bullock and he makes up agriculture policy on the huff. He genuinely hasn't a clue. He would be distroyed in an Agri debate.

I fully agree.
    Bit what party leader is any better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

_Brian wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there work ongoing by Teagasc or Bord Bia regarding their actual carbon cycle of Irish agriculture specifically ??

It seems bizarre that groups are being allowed run amok publishing all sorts of mad data against Irish farming and there is no actual scientific evidence that can be pointed to that clears the air.

You constantly see the IPCC being quoted where All Ag emissions is 24% of total, but it intentionally divides our fossil fuel emissions into various categories to minimise the overall impact, it has the result of making ag seem shocking high when in fact all ag and land use is 24% and fossil fuel related emissions is maybe 65-70% of all emissions.

I feel very let down by all these highly funded agencies sitting on their hands doing sfa while a propaganda war is raging against animal farming in Ireland and likely a large portion of the next government will be based on the false information of this war.

Well according to one of the country's top hedge laying experts that ran a course I was on last October - FA:mad:

Not trolling if that's what you mean?

On re-reading I would say that that sentence is deliberately ambiguous alright, the different markets and destinations for veal and beef are clarified further on in the article.

Pass
    I take the answer at face value, it can be agreed with or countered but it's a valid perspective imho

From the little I know of developing world agricultural issues, I have long had questions about such projects. While well meaning, the air lifting live animals, often incompatible to their destined environments, always struck me as a clumsy gesture. Maybe AI and breeding projects to improve and develop indigenous species, for example, might be more sustainable?

Rant over.

I'm glad it isn't aimed here because you're a bit wide of my mark, and but at least you didn't make this personal. Whether you're laughing or ranting Destiny, you seem to be quite triggered by my acknowledgement of your linked article, that I think is quite relevant to the issues surrounding the recent increase in Irish dairy bull calf numbers.
    Now you can shoot away at the messenger with my blessing, but I don't think that helps deal with the message. I don't have a problem engaging with the hippies or any other uninformed or out of touch viewpoints, but I never find denial and cover up a helpful approach in defending and putting forward my position.
    You've got to break eggs to make an omelette, something has to die for another to eat, simple as. Most sane people recognise this and once we farmers and our associate's have our house in order we have nothing or no-one to be hiding from on the welfare front. But until we do tidy up the loose ends we can't, and we haven't a leg to stand on if we put our head in the sand, so to speak!
    Hopefully developments like sexed semen and continued developments in mandatory farm standards and knowledge transfer will see any drift towards a NZ type situation nipped in the bud.
    Whatever about the veggie-nut industry finishing us off, our own beef industry is doing a fine job setting us up for it on its own.

Maybe this exchange should be moved over to the "1.5million calves..." thread?

I'm glad it isn't aimed here because you're a bit wide of my mark, and but at least you didn't make this personal. Whether you're laughing or ranting Destiny, you seem to be quite triggered by my acknowledgement of your linked article, that I think is quite relevant to the issues surrounding the recent increase in Irish dairy bull calf numbers.
    Now you can shoot away at the messenger with my blessing, but I don't think that helps deal with the message. I don't have a problem engaging with the hippies or any other uninformed or out of touch viewpoints, but I never find denial and cover up a helpful approach in defending and putting forward my position.
    You've got to break eggs to make an omelette, something has to die for another to eat, simple as. Most sane people recognise this and once we farmers and our associate's have our house in order we have nothing or no-one to be hiding from on the welfare front. But until we do tidy up the loose ends we can't, and we haven't a leg to stand on if we put our head in the sand, so to speak!
    Hopefully developments like sexed semen and continued developments in mandatory farm standards and knowledge transfer will see any drift towards a NZ type situation nipped in the bud.
    Whatever about the veggie-nut industry finishing us off, our own beef industry is doing a fine job setting us up for it on its own.

Maybe this exchange should be moved over to the "1.5million calves..." thread?
    Just as long as you know the calibre of the people you're willing to listen to and take on their opinion.

Here's another of her articles.
    This was the unrefined version in Dec before the other vegan reporter in London "refined" it for the Guardian.

If you're willing to deal with them phuckers you're a (insert whatever word here) ....more than me.

https://sentientmedia.org/calf-life-opioids-export-and-abuse/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Do you really believe that paid for content like the above article is anything is designed to be anything but a generalised hatchet job?

Between today and yesterday - the guardian published no less than 4 articles on their "Animals Framed" series financially supported by the Open Philanthropy Institute - a think tank with links to the plant food industry interests. Fair and balanced journalism it ain't for sure. Funny thing is the guardian seem to be in support of that general idea - just not when it suits the bottom line apparently

These are the following headlines for yesterday and today.
    It would be kinder to shoot them': Ireland's calves set for live export
    It was painful to declare it': outbreak of animal disease was blow to Sudan exports
    Live export: animals at risk in giant global industry
    Animals farmed: bird flu, bushfires and the 2bn 'hidden' live animal trade*

*The last is an overview of the this weeks kitchen sink throwing and covers the whole gamut of anti-animal farming stuff much loved by the usual suspects including the above animal export trade, alleged disease risk to humans from same, sheep being rescued, pigs drowning, bird flu, a meat tax in Germany oh and for the rub a prediction that meat consumption could decrease in the future!

The guardian is little better than a rag these days and I personally wouldn't buy it even if it was the only newspaper in the shop and I'd just been given a new pup. I'd put up with the piss first!

Ah yea Gozunda.
    But our own Ear to the ground team considers it a reputable newspaper and retweets the articles.
    You have to get "the truth" out.

If I'm gone out of business first. I'd love to see L214 start targeting the last of our "ethical" animal farmers here. Just for laughs. (Maybe I don't really mean that or).

Maybe heads will come out of the sand then.

Just as long as you know the calibre of the people you're willing to listen to and take on their opinion.

Here's another of her articles.
    This was the unrefined version in Dec before the other vegan reporter in London "refined" it for the Guardian.

If you're willing to deal with them phuckers you're a (insert whatever word here) ....more than me.

https://sentientmedia.org/calf-life-opioids-export-and-abuse/

That article is not too different to the first except for using the foolishamd ignorant comments of our own ICMSA against us!
    Its no worse than some of the same quotes being used by our own agri media online and print outlets.
    Again, get our own house in order and we're fine, and we're 90% there before we start.

• Advertisement

Ah yea Gozunda.
    But our own Ear to the ground team considers it a reputable newspaper and retweets the articles.
    You have to get "the truth" out.

If I'm gone out of business first. I'd love to see L214 start targeting the last of our "ethical" animal farmers here. Just for laughs. (Maybe I don't really mean that or).

Maybe heads will come out of the sand then.

Maybe, at present though the gut reaction of many seems to be a blanket denial, cover up and a rant. It could be a genuine blindness to any problems or just defensiveness based on vulnerability, I don't know, but it's predictable and ineffective.
    In fairness our Dept of Ag is on the ball here though and doing everything it can to mitigate damage and improve on and off farm issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement