Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

gozunda wrote: »
    Do you really believe that paid for content like the above article is anything is designed to be anything but a generalised hatchet job?

Between today and yesterday - the guardian published no less than 4 articles on their "Animals Framed" series financially supported by the Open Philanthropy Institute - a think tank with links to the plant food industry interests. Fair and balanced journalism it ain't for sure. Funny thing is the guardian seem to be in support of that general idea - just not when it suits the bottom line apparently

These are the following headlines for yesterday and today.
    It would be kinder to shoot them': Ireland's calves set for live export
    It was painful to declare it': outbreak of animal disease was blow to Sudan exports
    Live export: animals at risk in giant global industry
    Animals farmed: bird flu, bushfires and the 2bn 'hidden' live animal trade*

*The last is an overview of the this weeks kitchen sink throwing and covers the whole gamut of anti-animal farming stuff much loved by the usual suspects including the above animal export trade, alleged disease risk to humans from same, sheep being rescued, pigs drowning, bird flu, a meat tax in Germany oh and for the rub a prediction that meat consumption could decrease in the future!

The guardian is little better than a rag these days and I personally wouldn't buy it even if it was the only newspaper in the shop and I'd just been given a new pup. I'd put up with the piss first!

This has been going on for a few years now, and is less outrageous and inaccurate than many of the earlier advertising campaigns and shock journalism using disaster zone footage etc.

We've to get our own act together, as the Dept seem to be doing, and steer the narrative on this one, it shouldn't be too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

[/B]

Maybe, at present though the gut reaction of many seems to be a blanket denial, cover up and a rant. It could be a genuine blindness to any problems or just defensiveness based on vulnerability, I don't know, but it's predictable and ineffective.
    In fairness our Dept of Ag is on the ball here though and doing everything it can to mitigate damage and improve on and off farm issues.

If you want to pander to vegan reporters who stretch the truth with emotive language then that's your business.
    I don't know why you agreed with an article calling animals up to 2 yrs of age calves. Probably you wanted to be different? I don't know?
    But if exporters are buying calves and delivering them to their destination. Then that's good enough for me.

What's galling is keyboard warriorism being printing in papers nowadays.
    And western decadence in deciding over a keyboard whether a farming start up charity that is straight away able to put animals on the ground is worthy or not.

There's no heads in sand here nor hidden agendas. You see what you get here.

That article is not too different to the first except for using the foolishamd ignorant comments of our own ICMSA against us!
    Its no worse than some of the same quotes being used by our own agri media online and print outlets.
    Again, get our own house in order and we're fine, and we're 90% there before we start.

Yea and ban stomach tubes because a French vegan reporter on vineyards thinks they're inhumane.
    Oh Castlekeeper would you get real man.
    Perhaps you shouldn't be taking on board everything you read?

It's blatant propaganda with a purpose.
    It's crap!

If you want to pander to vegan reporters who stretch the truth with emotive language then that's your business.
    I don't know why you agreed with an article calling animals up to 2 yrs of age calves. Probably you wanted to be different? I don't know?
    See previous post where I already said that it was deliberately ambiguous directly linking this year's calves to a possible non EU live export destination in 1-2 years time. This point is clarifoef further in the article
    But if exporters are buying calves and delivering them to their destination. Then that's good enough for me.

What's galling is keyboard warriorism being printing in papers nowadays.
    And western decadence in deciding over a keyboard whether a farming start up charity that is straight away able to put animals on the ground is worthy or not.

There's no heads in sand here nor hidden agendas. You see what you get here.

Yea and ban stomach tubes because a French vegan reporter on vineyards thinks they're inhumane.
    Oh Castlekeeper would you get real man.
    Perhaps you shouldn't be taking on board everything you read?

It's blatant propaganda with a purpose.
    It's crap!

As you well know, within the recommended two hour time frame for maximum benefit from colostrum, stomach tubes are a 3rd choice after suckling either off a feeder or naturally as long as adequate colostrum is consumed.

Again it's feeding a vacuum and easily countered with proper information and openess.

• Advertisement

As you well know, within the recommended two hour time frame for maximum benefit from colostrum, stomach tubes are a 3rd choice after suckling either off a feeder or naturally as long as adequate colostrum is consumed.

Again it's feeding a vacuum and easily countered with proper information and openess.
    Sure I'm feeding the teat here the whole time.
    The tube is always the last resort before death.

You have to see it clearly for what it is ..PROPAGANDA.

You or me can't debate with a news article.
    And it's winning.

As I said about that L214 visiting farms.
    That's what we're up against. They want an end to all livestock farming and that's where these reporters are coming from.

L214 could just as easily put a camera in your shed. See you acid treating milk and the next day in France and Ireland there's headlines of
    "Irish farmer caught feeding calves Acid in welfare shame".

You haven't a hope of countering that sort of stuff as you won't get the same coverage that they will and public opinion would have already been formed about you.
    Damage done. Move on.

That's exactly what all this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This has been going on for a few years now, and is less outrageous and inaccurate than many of the earlier advertising campaigns and shock journalism using disaster zone footage etc.
    We've to get our own act together, as the Dept seem to be doing, and steer the narrative on this one, it shouldn't be too hard.

I agreed there is a narrative all right. No one here said there are issues which dont need to be addressed btw. But this time to recognise this type of rubbish for what it is imo.

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/translink-removes-vegan-adverts-after-northern-ireland-farmers-outrage-38876341.html
    On Friday, the Ulster Farmers' Union (UFU) said it felt the ads "wrongly demonise the livestock industry to promote the vegan lifestyle" and members were outraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sure I'm feeding the teat here the whole time.
    The tube is always the last resort before death.

You have to see it clearly for what it is ..PROPAGANDA.

You or me can't debate with a news article.
    And it's winning.

As I said about that L214 visiting farms.
    That's what we're up against. They want an end to all livestock farming and that's where these reporters are coming from.

L214 could just as easily put a camera in your shed. See you acid treating milk and the next day in France and Ireland there's headlines of
    "Irish farmer caught feeding calves Acid in welfare shame".

You haven't a hope of countering that sort of stuff as you won't get the same coverage that they will and public opinion would have already been formed about you.
    Damage done. Move on.

That's exactly what all this is.

Shining a light on the hidden funding always helps.
    https://twitter.com/ShaneMcAuliffe1/status/1219915311853588480?s=19

Shining a light on the hidden funding always helps.
    https://twitter.com/ShaneMcAuliffe1/status/1219915311853588480?s=19

Interesting replies to that tweet, they would indicate that things may not be that simple.

I agreed there is a narrative all right. No one here said there are issues which dont need to be addressed btw. But this time to recognise this type of rubbish for what it is imo.

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/translink-removes-vegan-adverts-after-northern-ireland-farmers-outrage-38876341.html

"So does school" is one reply to that slogan.

I think that along with getting our own house in order, and Bird Bia certification is a great vehicle for this, farmers, organisations, processors, agri aware, Bord Bia etc. need to go on a long term and well planned information offensive to raise awareness and education levels.
    We need to rise to the challenge.

• Advertisement

"So does school" is one reply to that slogan. I think that along with getting our own house in order, and Bird Bia certification is a great vehicle for this, farmers, organisations, processors, agri aware, Bord Bia etc. need to go on a long term and well planned information offensive to raise awareness and education levels.
    We need to rise to the challenge.

You mean the plant food industry interests slogan(s)? True I suppose and we need to show up the usual propaganda for what it is for certain ...

Anyhow had to pay a visit to the dentist today. Not too bad except for the bill. Ah well....

Anyhow had to pay a visit to the dentist today. Not too bad except for the bill. Ah well....

I never knew ducks had teeth..

Nah that's hens teeth :D They're fairly rare afaik

https://www.thespruce.com/do-ducks-have-teeth-4153828

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

If ever there was a duck with teeth!

emaherx wrote: »

This lad?

https://alchetron.com/cdn/count-duckula-c0167249-a566-4410-a45f-3151bd61d4d-resize-750.jpg

Always found it a bit odd that ducks - who are generaly fairly calm and laid back as a species - are omnivores whilst geese who are not - tend to be complete psychopaths ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Look up "sawbills";)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just back from football in time to see the last few minutes of the manchester united game. Worst start to a season in 30 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just back from football in time to see the last few minutes of the manchester united game. Worst start to a season in 30 years....

30 years 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

I remember when this was the norm.😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I know Ole is not the best, but I think Woodward is allot of the problem
    They go after a player, spend ages haggling and then miss out

I think Liverpool are doing good business these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ole is doing a fine job....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Aye he can stay there another while longer

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

I was thinking the exact same thing coming in to work this morning when I heard the sports news! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tough funeral here the weekend for a close relative. God, Irish people are brilliant when it comes to funerals. You would think numbers would fall off as we become more modernised, but if anything they are getting bigger.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Anyone know how to remove this radio. The radio in my lorry is broken and there is a good one in youngest old car which is going for scrap when I get a chance.

Base price wrote: »
    Anyone know how to remove this radio. The radio in my lorry is broken and there is a good one in youngest old car which is going for scrap when I get a chance.

Is there a slot on both sides? There is usually keys that slot in to remove radio. Some times thin screwdrivers will work.

If radio is being replaced anyway breaking the front off may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Is there a slot on both sides? There is usually keys that slot in to remove radio. Some times thin screwdrivers will work.

If radio is being replaced anyway breaking the front off may help.
    There is a slot on both sides. Years ago the radios had two holes on either side and you could stick in wire to release them. I will try using two thin screwdrivers. This is the radio that I want to keep.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    There is a slot on both sides. Years ago the radios had two holes on either side and you could stick in wire to release them. I will try using two thin screwdrivers. This is the radio that I want to keep.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeTec-20pcs-Stereo-Removal-Mercedes/dp/B074GZVS3H/ref=asc_df_B074GZVS3H/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=272040849262&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14272965327957766021&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20487&hvtargid=aud-858865025026:pla-467988061821&psc=1

There are several different keys. Your local auto factors will have some. Or a local garage may let you borrow some you only need them for a few seconds just drive truck over.

2 pieces of flat steel could work either if you had some... Cut out of a tin for example if you have a metal shears.

Come sort out my cow..... And I'll pop out the radio :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement