Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Reggie. wrote: »
    Shes a jack russell and abit of a show off at times

Great that you kept the tail on her, adds a bit of character.

As for her sleeping on your clothes. Mine did the same. Mam used to have put a T-shirt of mine into the dogs bed when I was away from home or the dog would never sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Odelay wrote: »
    Great that you kept the tail on her, adds a bit of character.

As for her sleeping on your clothes. Mine did the same. Mam used to have put a T-shirt of mine into the dogs bed when I was away from home or the dog would never sleep.

You cant remove thier tails anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

We occasionally have to baby sit this nutcase and her mate for my daughter. Her mate is a German shepherd.

orm0nd wrote: »
    We occasionally have to baby sit this nutcase and her mate for my daughter. Her mate is a German shepherd.

I'd love to have the energy of a JR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Do you ever feel embarrassed to be a farmer?

Do you feel embarrassed when climate protesters denounce cattle farming and it's effect on the environment?
    Do you feel embarrassed when faceless corporate entities bulldoze rainforests for cattle farms, displacing indigenous people that have lived for thousands of years in that forest while maintaining that habitat?
    Do you feel embarrassed when scrub land is cleared for planting with monoculture tree species benefiting tree planting ,timber processors and investment firms with no interest in the natural habitat?
    Do you feel embarrassed when genetically modified maize and corn is imported into this country for the sole purpose of keeping a lid on native corn prices?
    Do you feel embarrassed when freisian young bulls from your farm are exported to Libya and slaughtered on street by young boys for whatever festival is happening?
    Do you feel embarrassed that you might have pull that gun and put your own calves down?
    Do you feel embarrassed that your children could witness that?
    Do you feel embarrassed when you're supplying the largest milk processor in the country with a CEO getting north of a million Euro and it pays the lowest price to the farmer?
    Do you feel embarrassed when a meat processor imports horse meat from a sister plant in another EU country and passes it off as beef and gets away with it?
    Do you feel embarrassed that you no longer eat the food from your farm and by the time it might get back to you it's been processed into various million little parts that it's unrecognizable as food?
    Do you feel embarrassed that the department classes slurry as waste and for you to export it to a tillage farmer and for you to buy synthetic fertiliser in return?
    Do you feel embarrassed that you're expected to continue to feed the masses and the industries while always being bottom rung?
    Do you feel embarrassed that there's probably lots more you haven't mentioned and you're typing this out at 5 in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

...... if so, it's time to see your counsellor.

Muckit wrote: »

Or sell the farm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not as simple as that lads. I wouldn't call the emotion embarrassment at those things but anger in my case. We are going through the biggest doldrums period farming has ever experienced at the moment. Big corporations has removed the value from food by cheapening it to it's current levels.
    It is demoralising to be a farmer at the moment with all of the attacks from the media, poor prices etc. I would love for all farmers to stop supplying food for only one week globally. Watch people appreciate the job then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭White Clover

Grueller wrote: »
    Not as simple as that lads. I wouldn't call the emotion embarrassment at those things but anger in my case. We are going through the biggest doldrums period farming has ever experienced at the moment. Big corporations has removed the value from food by cheapening it to it's current levels.
    It is demoralising to be a farmer at the moment with all of the attacks from the media, poor prices etc. I would love for all farmers to stop supplying food for only one week globally. Watch people appreciate the job then.

I was only thinking the same thing last night. Its maddening whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Muckit wrote: »

If only you could afford one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Grueller wrote: »
    . Big corporations has removed the value from food by cheapening it to it's current levels..

Food in its original form, which leaves the farm as good wholesome food, to be adulterated with only knows what.

You wouldn't really be encouraging your kids in to farming the way things are going atm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    You wouldn't really be encouraging your kids in to farming the way things are going atm

My daughter says she will sell all the cattle and it’ll be horses from ditch to ditch. We’re working on the first stables at the moment. She’s dead right, at our scale it’s a case of get a decent job and enjoy the land whatever way you can.

_Brian wrote: »
    My daughter says she will sell all the cattle and it’ll be horses from ditch to ditch. We’re working on the first stables at the moment. She’s dead right, at our scale it’s a case of get a decent job and enjoy the land whatever way you can.

And you'll be the grumpy auld lad looking over the hedge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Was over in the wood cutting some sticks and managed to step on a wasps nest....one went down my top :( four stings and one accidental flash (poor guys married and was mortified) later and I admit defeat! They really really really hurt by the way-3hours later and I’m still in pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

L1985 wrote: »
    Was over in the wood cutting some sticks and managed to step on a wasps nest....one went down my top :( four stings and one accidental flash (poor guys married and was mortified) later and I admit defeat! They really really really hurt by the way-3hours later and I’m still in pain!
    I hate them. If you have any anti-histamine tablets take one to help - assuming you are not allergic to anti-histamine tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Will that help? I didn’t know antihistamines would help wasp stings. I might as the sting on my hips really sore :(. I never even saw them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Vinegar for wasp sting, as soon as possible - neutralises the sting instantly.

I think its the opposite for a bee sting - paste of bread soda.

I always have tubes of Anthisan cream in fridge, fast relief from insect bites, stings and nettle rash. very good for horse fly and ant bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

+1 on the Vinegar straight away. I got stung a while back and it gave instant relief.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

L1985 wrote: »
    Will that help? I didn’t know antihistamines would help wasp stings. I might as the sting on my hips really sore :(. I never even saw them!
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2018/0724/980814-what-to-do-if-you-get-stung-by-a-wasp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If only you could afford one...

Had 5 sessions this spring. Best money l ever spent. If your heads not right, nothings right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Even if I had a farm thers no way I would encourage them part time/ hobby no problem but definitely not full time.

Get them through college and let them make up there own mind then what they want out of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

naughto wrote: »
    Even if I had a farm thers no way I would encourage them part time/ hobby no problem but definitely not full time.

Get them through college and let them make up there own mind then what they want out of life.

I've two friends, both lost their husbands, both have 500cres + each and adult sons and have no one to take over......both farms rented out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    I've two friends, both lost their husbands, both have 500cres + each and adult sons and have no one to take over......both farms rented out
    Did any of the children (not just sons) show any interest / have any involvement as children?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Did any of the children (not just sons) show any interest / have any involvement as children?

They all helped as children but left it at that,
    There's 100s of acres around here, my own included, with no one to take over.
    The present young farmers will get to buy land cheap yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

After the last few years of farming here, I'm sorry to say my greatest success as a parent will be if I can keep them all away from farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭148multi

After the last few years of farming here, I'm sorry to say my greatest success as a parent will be if I can keep them all away from farming.

Its ironic that in a country with a temperate climate and good infrastructure to support agricultural activities, people are willing to walk away. But in South America a strenuous effort is being made to set up farms and destroy forests and build infrastructure, they don't view forestry as an option where our youth seems to view forestry as the only option, in reality any young people wanting to go farming in ireland will have huge opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Heading to Anfield

Up the pool

dzer2 wrote: »
    Heading to Anfield

Up the pool

Very jealous. Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    And you'll be the grumpy auld lad looking over the hedge

Nope I’ll be polishing my campervan and planning the next trip all the time.
    Each time we travel I enjoy it more and look forward to getting away again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement