Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Birdnuts wrote: »
    This part of the world(China, Laos, Vietnam) is the epicentre of the illegal trade in endangered wildlife. Hopefully local governments will learn a lesson from this and take proper measures to shut down for good this immensely destructive trade that has had dire consequences for iconic species as far away as South Africa etc
    Unfortunately that is highly unlikely considering their cultural heritage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is highly unlikely considering their cultural heritage :mad:

Literally everything is on the table.
    I’ve said before.
    Last time I was in China I was talking to a Chinese guy about food culture.

He said westerners look at an animal and talk about how cute it is, but when Chinese people look at the same animal they think “how will I cook that”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Base price wrote: »
    Please God there are no more instances within the exclusion zone or anywhere else on the island of Ireland. If so then we can more or less kiss goodbye to our beef industry especially live exports.

Some years ago (many) there was an English drama series following events after Rabies got loose in the UK. It was interesting, although probably highly exaggerated.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

_Brian wrote: »
    I’ve said before.

He said westerners look at an animal and talk about how cute it is, but when Chinese people look at the same animal they think “how will I cook that”

They've a lot of mouths to feed.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    They've a lot of mouths to feed.

That would be allot of it. They so narrowly missed a famine of epidemic proportions, food security is entrained in their culture and politics. Literally anything can be excused to facilitate food security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

gozunda wrote: »
    The greens called today. The door wasn't answered. I shall be recycling their leaflet ...

Did they drive to your house, or walk/cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Did they drive to your house, or walk/cycle?

A car was dropping off leaflet carrying acolytes in the area as far as I know.

greysides wrote: »
    Some years ago (many) there was an English drama series following events after Rabies got loose in the UK. It was interesting, although probably highly exaggerated.
    Was it "The Mad Death".

I don't remembering hearing about it at the time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mad_Death

A car was dropping off leaflet carrying acolytes in the area as far as I know.
    Did the leaflet state that it was printed on recycled paper :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The greens called today. The door wasn't answered. I shall be recycling their leaflet ...

Your missing a treat asking them awkward questions and winding them up.

• Advertisement

Rosahane wrote: »
    Your missing a treat asking them awkward questions and winding them up.

I think it is fair to believe they're not into country type pursuits ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I’ve said before.

Its more to do with "Quack" Chinese medicine which uses the likes of Rhino Horn, Tiger Bones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I read somewhere earlier that there is some super secure lab in Wuhan harboring a myriad of different virus and diseases. Most likely for research purposes. The US has a place like it too. Anyway, story goes, something went wrong over there and this virus got out

This is quite a likely scenario. That's how the parvo virus that infects dogs started. The dogs around a research lab were dying and no-body knew what was wrong, turned out that virus escaped.
    It was my vet that told me while he was treating my dogs. My brother's dog got it and had been at my house only a couple of days before it got sick. That would have been about 25 years ago. I can still remember the dogs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Listening to the radio there some 10 year old kids dont have the basic skills to run, throw a ball or catch a ball. I'm sure they can play a playstation though

whelan2 wrote: »
    Listening to the radio there some 10 year old kids dont have the basic skills to run, throw a ball or catch a ball. I'm sure they can play a playstation though

Quite a few don’t know how to play either. Daughter is in 5th class and they are the biggest bunch of babies I’ve ever seen. Crying to the teacher if they are caught in a game of tag, or crying if nobody is chasing them during the game of tag. Couple of them would wreck your head and ruin every game the kids try to play. They want to play, but they’re rubbish at every game, if they loose they cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

KatyMac wrote: »
    This is quite a likely scenario. That's how the parvo virus that infects dogs started. The dogs around a research lab were dying and no-body knew what was wrong, turned out that virus escaped.
    It was my vet that told me while he was treating my dogs. My brother's dog got it and had been at my house only a couple of days before it got sick. That would have been about 25 years ago. I can still remember the dogs involved.

You can add in the foot and mouth in the UK on viruses that escaped from labs.

There's some farmers over there adamant that it was a deliberate action on the part of Tony Blair's Labour government to cripple farmers after they were objecting to some nuclear facility or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

whelan2 wrote: »

Activities and sport just can't be promoted enough in kids. Involved with 8/10s hurling and it is surprising how easy it is to pick out the non active kids.
    Daughter had her 10th birthday over the weekend and had her party in The Irish Ariel Centre which is pretty close to us. Basically its acrobatics. Instructer picked out 3 or 4 of the kids and they are the ones that do gymnastics amongst other activities. Picked out our 8 yr old son especially who does Irish dancing. He cant walk anywhere it's all skipping, jumping and dance steps with him.
    Would drive me spare if the 2 kids were constantly stuck gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's sad when kids cant run, it's a basic function. The kids here are out playing ball, on bikes or trampoline or whatever. Young lad feels guilty for not being out on dark evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was ready to have a go at the Green Party candidate here about opposition to live shipping etc. Turns out I knew her brother. Shared a house in Dublin with him once. Might just have to hold back with the abuse. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Quite a few don’t know how to play either. Daughter is in 5th class and they are the biggest bunch of babies I’ve ever seen. Crying to the teacher if they are caught in a game of tag, or crying if nobody is chasing them during the game of tag. Couple of them would wreck your head and ruin every game the kids try to play. They want to play, but they’re rubbish at every game, if they loose they cry.

Thats not very nice talk about other people's children tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I was ready to have a go at the Green Party candidate here about opposition to live shipping etc. Turns out I knew her brother. Shared a house in Dublin with him once. Might just have to hold back with the abuse. :rolleyes:

Local politics!!

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Thats not very nice talk about other people's children tbh

You don’t have to like it for it to be true.

Kids need to be told the truth, not this everyone is a winner line of bull**** that some parents are going along with.

Playing the game is more important than winning all the time, we all loose sometimes, it’s a fact of life they will need to learn sometime and it’s better learned in the playground than later in life when it’s a bigger slap to the face.

It’s like the “you can be anything you want to be” malarkey kids are told. That’s another slap on the face waiting for them, kids need to understand that we all have differing abilities and skills and there is always someone smarter and faster then them, what’s important is that they strive to be the best they personally can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Kids need to be told the truth, not this everyone is a winner line of bull**** that some parents are going along with.

Playing the game is more important than winning all the time, we all loose sometimes, it’s a fact of life they will need to learn sometime and it’s better learned in the playground than later in life when it’s a bigger slap to the face.

It’s like the “you can be anything you want to be” malarkey kids are told. That’s another slap on the face waiting for them, kids need to understand that we all have differing abilities and skills and there is always someone smarter and faster then them, what’s important is that they strive to be the best they personally can be.

Bang on!

Just ask him what's the party's position on greyhound racing?
    When he's so busy answering they've opposed it based on an RTE expose, hit him with what's the party's position on fox hunting.
    They won't know what to say because they'll alienate the horse rural fraternity that might be going along with the cattle are bad for the country business.
    Ask him then what's the party's position on craming irish horses into planes and flying them to Saudi Arabia, China and God knows what country?
    Ask him is he happy that irish horses could be exported to war torn countries?

They seemingly love the war torn line so might as well hit him with that. Personally a poor sod in a war torn country deserves a bit of food or a ride but sure hit him with it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

When he's so busy answering they've opposed it based on an RTE expose, hit him with what's the party's position on fox hunting.
    They won't know what to say because they'll alienate the horse rural fraternity that might be going along with the cattle are bad for the country business.
    Ask him then what's the party's position on craming irish horses into planes and flying them to Saudi Arabia, China and God knows what country?

They seemingly love the war torn line so might as well hit him with that. Personally a poor sod in a war torn country deserves a bit of food or a ride but sure hit him with it anyway.

The folk in peaceful countries would be in favour of that as well:P

The folk in peaceful countries would be in favour of that as well:P

Ah they wouldn't.

They'd be too busy wasting electricity on social media giving out about the country.
    Poor oul craters have such low self esteem now coupled strangely with a high opinion of themselves. The only bit of solace they get is ranting away on social media.

Ah they wouldn't.

They'd be too busy wasting electricity on social media giving out about the country.
    Poor oul craters have such low self esteem now coupled strangely with a high opinion of themselves. The only bit of solace they get is ranting away on social media.

There was one of those going on about they were against horses been ridden. Not a word about shaggy ponies though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Agreed

I thought that EU legislation on the welfare & transportation of livestock/bloodstock applies if they are shipped/flown to a non member state?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

As long as it wouldnt annoy you hearing from some other parents that your daughters were rubbish then ok,
    If I heard another parent calling my children, babies or rubbish then I'd be haveing a strong discussion with that parent,
    I get your point but a bit of decorum could go a long way as to choice of words.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement