Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How the hell are China able to build a 1000 bed hospital in a week?
    Will it be only for this virus outbreak and then razed? I can't imagine that with even the best will in the world that the build quality will be sufficient. not much curing time for the concrete!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »
    I thought that EU legislation on the welfare & transportation of livestock/bloodstock applies if they are shipped/flown to a non member state?

Jeez I couldn't tell you. Most likely. But according to the activists cattle die left right and center being transported. But then they show pictures of an Aussie sheep on a boat in relation to inter Europe transport.

If you wanted to do a similar hatchet job on horse transport. Just show pictures of horses being packed on a plane with captions such as these horses will be drugged if they act up or shot dead if the drugs don't work. It doesn't have to be an Irish situation just show pictures from anywhere in the world.

Screenshot-2020-01-27-19-30-40.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jeez I couldn't tell you. Most likely. But according to the activists cattle die left right and center being transported. But then they show pictures of an Aussie sheep on a boat in relation to inter Europe transport.

If you wanted to do a similar hatchet job on horse transport. Just show pictures of horses being packed on a plane with captions such as these horses will be drugged if they act up or shot dead if the drugs don't work. It doesn't have to be an Irish situation just show pictures from anywhere in the world.

Screenshot-2020-01-27-19-30-40.png
    Those horses are not "packed on a plane" as you posted although the crates are not the same as the ones that I've seen used in Dublin airport. In fairness if a horse gets sick or panics they will be given medication to assist them. If that doesn't work they will be humanely euthanised due to health and safety. AFAIK horses can not travel by air from Ireland/EU unless accompanied by a qualified Vet. I understand that IATA rules govern the transport of horses by air but stand corrected but Greysides maybe able to enlighten us.
    Unfortunately sometimes livestock die in transit to the mart/factory on lorries in Ireland.

gozunda wrote: »
    I would not like to be the pilot on that plane. Horses imo are really not designed to fly imo. Feck it - I've known horses that have had problems with crisp packets and kittens - never mind flying to some far flung destination.
    :D Wheelie bins were a big issue when they arrived first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Just ask him what's the party's position on greyhound racing?
    When he's so busy answering they've opposed it based on an RTE expose, hit him with what's the party's position on fox hunting.
    They won't know what to say because they'll alienate the horse rural fraternity that might be going along with the cattle are bad for the country business.
    Ask him then what's the party's position on craming irish horses into planes and flying them to Saudi Arabia, China and God knows what country?
    Ask him is he happy that irish horses could be exported to war torn countries?

They seemingly love the war torn line so might as well hit him with that. Personally a poor sod in a war torn country deserves a bit of food or a ride but sure hit him with it anyway.
    :D

• Advertisement

Anyone watching the Leaders debate on RTE. I'm not impressed by any of them.

Eamon Ryan's playing a stormer...

Seriously, I don't think they'll change anyone's mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It's a bad bunch when Leo looks to be the best of them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not impressed by Claire Byrnes statement that "Agriculture accounts for 34% of emmissions"..

Did any of ye notice Eamon Ryan constantly looking to his left towards Micheal Martin when he was answering questions during the debate.

Jeez it was like they've sealed the deal and are already in bed together :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭straight

Never realised howlin was so short. They all seem to believe that Ireland is the cause of and solution to the climate crisis. Big changes ahead for farming. These fools won't value what we do until food gets scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

straight wrote: »
    Never realised howlin was so short. They all seem to believe that Ireland is the cause of and solution to the climate crisis. Big changes ahead for farming. These fools won't value what we do until food gets scarce.

That's just it. Wait till the world population gets to 12 billion. Completely different ball game then.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Not asking whether they will or not here, but moreso the logic behind their ideologies.

Why does Eamon Ryan regularly revert between planting an acre/hectare of forestry? Does he know the difference between the two?

Assuming one acre - why such an arbitrary number anyway? Why should the man with 10 acres plant 10% of his farm where as the man with 100 acres plants 1%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

dmakc wrote: »
    Not asking whether they will or not here, but moreso the logic behind their ideologies.

Why does Eamon Ryan regularly revert between planting an acre/hectare of forestry? Does he know the difference between the two?

Assuming one acre - why such an arbitrary number anyway? Why should the man with 10 acres plant 10% of his farm where as the man with 100 acres plants 1%?

The average farm size is about 34ha. A man with 50 or 60ha planting 1ha is much less of an imposition than a man with 20ha planting 1ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

I see Michael Creed’s promotional video in the Roads forum. Macroom bypass thread.

He’s using the hash tag #KeepCorkNorthWestInGovernment to promote himself,

Should really be.....

#CorkNorthWestSpentAFairChunkOfTimeScratchingHisBalls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Planting trees wont help Ireland's biodiversity a large part of Ireland's birdlife are "farmland birds". The rely on farming practices for their survival be it pastoral or arable for both nesting and feeding. Sowing large areas of trees will lead to a faster decline in species numbers.Farming practice needs to change to return a balance anything else is green washing
    When someone says they want to protect biodiversity make sure they are protecting what we have not killing it with kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Planting trees wont help Ireland's biodiversity a large part of Ireland's birdlife are "farmland birds". The rely on farming practices for their survival be it pastoral or arable for both nesting and feeding. Sowing large areas of trees will lead to a faster decline in species numbers.Farming practice needs to change to return a balance anything else is green washing
    When someone says they want to protect biodiversity make sure they are protecting what we have not killing it with kindness.

Out of curiosity what kind of birds should be protected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Tileman wrote: »

The two legged ones

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

All birds bar certain crow and pigeon species are protected under Irish and EU legislation - in addition a number of game birds and wildfowl have a hunting season under derogation.

Born Mucky life on the farm is on now. On channel quest+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Who knew cattle are a carbon sink?
    John O Donoghue, chief executive of Clonmel based Enbio did.

Charred cattle bone is being used as a heat shield on a mission around our Sun.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21700828

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Seen two episodes.
    It’s easy watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What did you think of it? I didn't think it was great

Bullocks wrote: »
    What did you think of it? I didn't think it was great

Yea was did disappointed enough with it. It’s done for the urban audience again. Making everything very dramatic. Ure man on the teleporter didn’t go himself any favours. How many times did the hay fall off.

An episode of farmer Phil on you tube is a better watch .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was in local farm shop this morning. This is the fork I was talking about a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Cough*pike*cough

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was in local farm shop this morning. This is the fork I was talking about a few weeks ago

Garden fork, def not a pike of any breed to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

That's a sprong
    A 2 grain is a pike

As much as wexford men hated redcoats,they stuck them with pikes not sprongs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Yep ...Garden Fork. have one here. More suitable for digging up spuds. :D Useless for anything else around the farm.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is that not a potato or beet grape/fork/pike/whatever ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement