Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭straight

I've said it before but I think forestry here atm is a massive scam. There's forestry after being harvested that didn't leave enough of a return to replant, according to a few last night.

We're being pushed into forestry when nobody can tell what the end market is going to be. If forestry planted decades ago can't find a market anywhere near the projected returns, what's going to happen to the forestry being planted now when harvest comes and an even bigger amount of timber starts hitting the market at the same time? How is that going to give a return after the premiums are finished?

I just can't help thinking there is no plan to use this timber but just leave it there, worthless as a crop but worth a small fortune as a carbon sink for the Government.

Of course forestry is a scam. Better off sell your land and invest money somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No better woman than mairead mc Guinness to tell Nigel Farage what to do with his flags. Brexit gives me a major headache

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

whelan2 wrote: »
    No better woman than mairead mc Guinness to tell Nigel Farage what to do with his flags. Brexit gives me a major headache

Just be glad they didn't win the rugby WC last year - the utter arrogance and smugness of a certain section of the population over there is doing the UK's image no favours around the world

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Just be glad they didn't win the rugby WC last year - the utter arrogance and smugness of a certain section of the population over there is doing the UK's image no favours around the world

It's mad though. I go to liverpool alot. You couldn't meet nicer people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Anyone with cattle going out soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭straight

It's mad though. I go to liverpool alot. You couldn't meet nicer people.

Ya, the nicest people ever and we have so much in common. It seems to be older generations and upper classes leaving them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

US Senate votes 51-49 against calling witnesses in Trump trial, clearing way for acquittal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

I was at a meeting last night and a few issues were brought up that will have a bearing in the near future.

The first one was a new requirement down here for a bond of 50k euros to be given to the council when opening a forestry road for thinnings. The bond must stay in place until the last of the timber is harvested and any damage done to the road that the forestry road opens onto will be repaired by drawing down on the bond. Apparently, the bond can be used to cover any damage done to the road by any use and not just the forestry. Brought in with no consultation as well.

The second was the routine maintenance of drains in NHAs (and SACs as well, I think) is being forbidden and permission must be asked for before any is done. This is again contrary to the agreed procedures and brought in without any consultation.

On a second thinning of spruce - after 22 years growing - I got just about €100 per acre net income. That's net unless I have to pay USC on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Tbh, I don't know whether to post in Conspiracy Theories or not, some seem to think Corona virus in China escaped from a lab.
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1221990534643929089?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Tbh, I don't know whether to post in Conspiracy Theories or not, some seem to think Corona virus in China escaped from a lab.
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1221990534643929089?s=19

Is that how Sars started as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I went out for a walk last night & when I got back the light I'd left on in the kitchen was off & the house in darkness. So picked up the axe before I went in in case it was actually burglars :pac:
    House was empty anyway so checked all my fuses & nothing wrong there. Rang ESB emergency line & there was a guy here by 12am, 2nd guy in the lorry then showed up & they had me up & running again in an hour. All the wind had knocked something out on the line connecting me to the grid. They're coming back next week to do a permanent fix on it too. I wouldn't mind usually but this house runs the pump for the well so the shed was without water.
    The ESB, a great bunch of lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I went out for a walk last night & when I got back the light I'd left on in the kitchen was off & the house in darkness. So picked up the axe before I went in in case it was actually burglars :pac:
    House was empty anyway so checked all my fuses & nothing wrong there. Rang ESB emergency line & there was a guy here by 12am, 2nd guy in the lorry then showed up & they had me up & running again in an hour. All the wind had knocked something out on the line connecting me to the grid. They're coming back next week to do a permanent fix on it too. I wouldn't mind usually but this house runs the pump for the well so the shed was without water.
    The ESB, a great bunch of lads :D

And you running around with an axe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Reggie. wrote: »
    And you running around with an axe

:D
    I'd been chopping wood earlier so it was in the turf shed. Better safe than sorry! Never know who'd be driving around looking for empty houses in the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The calved cows are gone out today.
    That's the winter finished.
    Just waiting on the clocks to change now.

I was just thinking there. Would it be an idea to have your eircode in permanent marker on your bord bia sign in your yard in case of an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

straight wrote: »
    Ya, the nicest people ever and we have so much in common. It seems to be older generations and upper classes leaving them down.

English people are very decent by and far. If you ever worked for an English employer the majority are extremely fair.
    Personally I thought Ryan gave Arlene a hard time. Would he have been as opioniated in his questions if he had a different head of state?
    He phrased the questions into you and us. She is the elected First Minister of Northern Ireland and it is her right to have different views than the majority of people in the Republic.
    Gay Byrne had Patrick Mayhew on a few years ago and that was a more balanced interview albeit Mayhew had to resign shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

kk.man wrote: »
    English people are very decent by and far. If you ever worked for an English employer the majority are extremely fair.
    Personally I thought Ryan gave Arlene a hard time. Would he have been as opioniated in his questions if he had a different head of state?
    He phrased the questions into you and us. She is the elected First Minister of Northern Ireland and it is her right to have different views than the majority of people in the Republic.
    Gay Byrne had Patrick Mayhew on a few years ago and that was a more balanced interview albeit Mayhew had to resign shortly after.

Didn't Gaybo get Mayhew to sing some party song or other, on the night a half dozen people (police or civilians, can't remember which) were blown up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Did the 10K walk today for Milford Hospice in Limerick. A big gang of us did it as we had a relative pass away there recently. Great atmosphere there even if we got drenched wet. Might make it an annual event from now on. I need the exercise too, if I'm honest.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Did the 10K walk today for Milford Hospice in Limerick. A big gang of us did it as we had a relative pass away there recently. Great atmosphere there even if we got drenched wet. Might make it an annual event from now on. I need the exercise too, if I'm honest.

Was there myself, rough conditions for the first few miles but great event all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Didn't Gaybo get Mayhew to sing some party song or other, on the night a half dozen people (police or civilians, can't remember which) were blown up?
    After reading your post I remembered a controversy at the time but not the specifics which is my bad :mad:. It was Peter Brooke who sang on the Late Late Show.
    See 10'40" on this link -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8pupz3IuwE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I was at a meeting last night and a few issues were brought up that will have a bearing in the near future.

The first one was a new requirement down here for a bond of 50k euros to be given to the council when opening a forestry road for thinnings. The bond must stay in place until the last of the timber is harvested and any damage done to the road that the forestry road opens onto will be repaired by drawing down on the bond. Apparently, the bond can be used to cover any damage done to the road by any use and not just the forestry. Brought in with no consultation as well.

The second was the routine maintenance of drains in NHAs (and SACs as well, I think) is being forbidden and permission must be asked for before any is done. This is again contrary to the agreed procedures and brought in without any consultation.
    So I take it that one is a local council issue and the other an NPWS one, it's surprising that these crept past the Healy- Raes and Josepha respectively, and our farmer represantitive bodies for hat matter. Surely these are election issues for the the relevant farmer organisations?

Or would the Healy-Raes benefit out of the road works contracts? Still, they're well used to dealing with conflicting issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Fair play to you.

I stopped running there in august when the BIL got sick. I was running to get fit. Started back jan 1st. Just in from a 16km jog. I want to do a half marathon in may, never did it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

When the spring comes we'll think about it, weather's too bad these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

jfh wrote: »
    Was there myself, rough conditions for the first few miles but great event all the same

Went for 10kms here saturday too, got absolutely scorched between the sun and the wind. My own fault for trying to show off the guns wearing the vest, live and learn.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Fair play to you.

I stopped running there in august when the BIL got sick. I was running to get fit. Started back jan 1st. Just in from a 16km jog. I want to do a half marathon in may, never did it before.

If you can jog 16k in Jan/ Feb and do a half marathon in May there's no reason you couldn't do a full marathon later in the year. Like Dublin in Oct. Go on balls out and do it !

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-1-marathon/

Scroll down to the end there. 18 weeks of training for you. That's the novice plan, you might be much better than that but he has all sorts of plans there.

Just off the phone chatting to eldest in Aus and he was telling me about a unique fund raiser on the building site that he is working on to help the fire services.

The chippies are challenging the rest of the lads on site to drive a nail into a piece of wood with a single hammer strike - the shortest nail wins.

It's 100 dollars to enter and the winner gets a trophy of a piece of wood.

Base price wrote: »
    Just off the phone chatting to eldest in Aus and he was telling me about a unique fund raiser on the building site that he is working on to help the fire services.

The chippies are challenging the rest of the lads on site to drive a nail into a piece of wood with a single hammer strike - the shortest nail wins.

It's 100 dollars to enter and the winner gets a trophy of a piece of wood.

Was in Sydney the weekend almost every second corner had someone fundraising in some way or another and all the pubs had collection tins on the counters too.
    Also a bit of an uproar against the red cross in the last few weeks who raised tens of millions here who reckon theyll need 10% for administration and then a lot of the funds arent going to be used now instead there going to be held for future disasters.

Better living everyone

For any of ye with/interested in horses it was a sad day today when Robert Hall hung up his boots.

I'll always remember his voice be it at the Nations Cup in the RDS, Fairyhouse etc. His voice will be sadly missed.
    https://www.facebook.com/RTEsport/videos/1078640892469957/?__xts__[0]=68.ARDfpR4L2uWqLubpUJ5mGhGNkxZNE1TowYzn6WBxpQIzWmlT1-u6UdCy56VgJF5tHGXDzReYhKS9FN2HgEpXS26rb6LKDlaUEs2tGd4hzOQIDPJtrWeOLNEkT3UgPyOdazuI-Z1-0ik7eRGFDRxcr2jENQJr5F_cZsds6Y1-ELzMPOUF3h0aY8r-kljcrsgill44L5sNmE1df4M2QQsMYm5vLUoXNTvgR3b8i0yPTfhvQFAYDD2Lw1OoeoRQ1O89aeMABCOqCL-1IKBTk13CI3xW5WPc-R4rLY9zNqTtSj8Cpr7AxKYoiCZIIdGfkc2kHGbixxvbdPVlvgemvSp4wz3M3CsX-0ze9lBdaUxMevEdacywtF07mefUF1ZkCxb6cBTF3297JwzXyfNPvHwJZaGunaHKKERA4SowYbohv8p_6PTJ1irHs2nJUswyKZAOALuap4cLCbz_TC_wexL2kqwyucBPk5jPLWHn4gIEMWpy28UdjSiDiVzertHpuLfV2MuvE-NJqiW3wr1DHzIkmiFN4jPDVUU&__xts__[1]=68.ARA6iV-0JtPZID-xTQi9EMDcnAwf11tdoQENVJWMhvwx9moD4GQDdr3joYdG1kSmS8ji6Y9XubSFmM4P5OT8HuWeBzuqLZTiorfZsGNoBsZytNyyhpbdIPRdoI2bWO7Co1GjFTkQ-9s3BgmKg6tdZTLdcpJkMu6AehIkOcVQkcb-6VUEfXSR6XLMBoDDAN8gKSnHNFG0rjQ1efIOO-cCW4AMsoZ-RInlnvaTSl9jJ5HxtPzN8Cr53qy0Xy6ePCZpv0gtQbN4uDyJyOo_o5t3Xja1LZJpqbAZgwcC6w3RHtPToT0HnkDmz0X8qEqGG9iolpUsUZA8EZXBc6UWoSsuNybbUOGLQw&__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARC5h2sh5OoSxtq-8kibaZhW0xXNhbYbbfmcvXegRSLjXuB8fVlsPMjGK7R1_afucZ3Deb-l9l-zKfSH&hc_ref=ARQnJDHUjtqHY2AiZx8ypqFiPjlWMXUanJtxSS3bjQ7pz6R90zOlFwuqODcLb9LLhOE&fref=nf

Was in Sydney the weekend almost every second corner had someone fundraising in some way or another and all the pubs had collection tins on the counters too.
    Also a bit of an uproar against the red cross in the last few weeks who raised tens of millions here who reckon theyll need 10% for administration and then a lot of the funds arent going to be used now instead there going to be held for future disasters.

Are the fires still burning?

• Advertisement

Are the fires still burning?

In part, bit of a haze around sydney still. We had 41'C at one point last week not ideal for milking in.

Better living everyone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement