Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Fair play to you.

I stopped running there in august when the BIL got sick. I was running to get fit. Started back jan 1st. Just in from a 16km jog. I want to do a half marathon in may, never did it before.

If you can do 16k now, you don't have to wait until May for a half. Head up to Kinvarra at the start of March and tear around there for the half. Be mighty!
    If you can jog 16k in Jan/ Feb and do a half marathon in May there's no reason you couldn't do a full marathon later in the year. Like Dublin in Oct. Go on balls out and do it !

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-1-marathon/

Scroll down to the end there. 18 weeks of training for you. That's the novice plan, you might be much better than that but he has all sorts of plans there.

You'd be hard pushed to get a ticket for Dublin. I'd be looking at other regional ones such as Cork, Limerick or even the Belfast one. They might be all coming a bit too soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

If you can do 16k now, you don't have to wait until May for a half. Head up to Kinvarra at the start of March and tear around there for the half. Be mighty!

You'd be hard pushed to get a ticket for Dublin. I'd be looking at other regional ones such as Cork, Limerick or even the Belfast one. They might be all coming a bit too soon though.

I’ve 3 children under 5. I’m lucky to get out for 1/2marathon training. Great to clear the head.

My OH has her wrist fractured so up the walls at the moment. Getting out around 9-9:20pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Election debate at tullamore farm tonight at 7.30, going to be shown live

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/irish-farmers-journal-to-hold-live-farming-debate-524283

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Both white and green diesel are back 8c in a month..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

alps wrote: »
    Both white and green diesel are back 8c in a month..

Nearly time for a fill me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

These new robotic milking parlours are coming on in leaps and bounds.

They'll soon be up on the quad and changing paddocks. :pac:

https://twitter.com/CaliaDomenico/status/1224462004880060417?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

^ That's nothing. I had a toy dog which did backflips years ago :P

^ That's nothing. I had a toy dog which did backflips years ago :P

If only you studied it and took it apart and scaled it up ..imagine where you'd be today.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Base price wrote: »
    For any of ye with/interested in horses it was a sad day today when Robert Hall hung up his boots.

I'll always remember his voice be it at the Nations Cup in the RDS, Fairyhouse etc. His voice will be sadly missed.

I see Tracy Piggott is gone now too. RTE not renewing her contract.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

They're clearing out the decks for cheaper younger talent.
    Marty Morrissey better watch himself!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone else start reading this and think, fook is she dead as well?:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Reggie. wrote: »
    Nearly time for a fill me thinks

What's green diesel at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Weather is giving it rough from Saturday for a lot of next week. According to the folks in the weather forum, strong winds on the way. Would I be mental to get slurry out? I've a few fields I can travel now and was thinking of doing them Thursday/Friday

Weather is giving it rough from Saturday for a lot of next week. According to the folks in the weather forum, strong winds on the way. Would I be mental to get slurry out? I've a few fields I can travel now and was thinking of doing them Thursday/Friday

No go on. If it's anything like here there's good growth atm.

This cold spell looks to be a very short lived affair. It'll be windy the whole week but it'll be wet and mild after.
    You'll be kicking yourself if the whole month is wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

You’d be mental not to . Weather might break for weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Anyone see the video of the pigs buried alive on whatsapp in Asia, and we get the brunt of the cruelty campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

When the cattle break out onto the road
    I've been down that road before minus the lasso and warm/dry weather when cattle broke through the flimsy fence around Dublin Airport in the late 80's. I remember another incident in the early 90's when a heaver (outlaying stag) jumped the low fence into the airport grounds to graze uninterrupted.

A diet tip for anyone calving or lambing stock and you feel you hit the wall every spring.
    Throw away the processed salt and go on sea salt instead. Actually get some coarse and take five or six grains everyday And dissolve it in your mouth in your saliva before swallowing.
    Use the fine salt as you would the processed.

In processed salt you've one mineral sodium.
    In sea salt you've ninety minerals in proportion just right.

I've been on it myself this last two months and I've more cows calved this time of year compared to other years and I've way more energy than other years.

A diet tip for anyone calving or lambing stock and you feel you hit the wall every spring.
    Throw away the processed salt and go on sea salt instead. Actually get some coarse and take five or six grains everyday And dissolve it in your mouth in your saliva before swallowing.

I've been on it myself this last two months and I've more cows calved this time of year compared to other years and I've way more energy than other years.
    Good result :eek:

As a aside whilst watching the leaders debate on RTE I'm packing a bag and off to a cave...

• Advertisement

As a aside whilst watching the leaders debate on RTE I'm packing a bag and off to a cave...

Are you not inspired by our great leaders?

Supposed to be a storm on Saturday so that won't do much for turnout.

Are you not inspired by our great leaders?
    TBH I thought that Mary Lou would give a good account but so far she is dismal. Leo Varadkar is so so and but I'm really really disappointed with Michael "clutching at straws" Martin.
    Had FF canvassers in the yard last week and even they said that Michael Martin would coalesce with any dog on the street in order to become Taoiseach. Historically I would lean towards voting for FF although OH's tradition would be FG.

Supposed to be a storm on Saturday so that won't do much for turnout.
    Let the storm blow as I'll be holed up in my cave with my two Rotties, cat, lots of food, blankets, a few candles, cans and baby wipes.
    Come for me when it's all over :)

TBH I thought that Mary Lou would give a good account but so far she is dismal. Leo Varadkar is so so and but I'm really really disappointed with Michael "clutching at straws" Martin.
    Had FF canvassers in the yard last week and even they said that Michael Martin would coalesce with any dog on the street in order to become Taoiseach. Historically I would lean towards voting for FF although OH's tradition would be FG.

I thought she spoke well on social issues, quality of life, while better than much of the world, could be a lot better. She just got handed a broadside on the Conor Murphy piece. Not much interested in the other two, have had a lot of dealings with both those parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Wash it down with a spoon of cider vinegar and you'll be still going like the duracell bunny at silage time :D
    I would never found any pressure before Patrick's day, with bad weather in April being the worst of all.

Let the storm blow as I'll be holed up in my cave with my two Rotties, cat, lots of food, blankets, a few candles, cans and baby wipes.
    Come for me when it's all over :)

I'll only charge a SH heifer as a call out fee:pac:

We need more pics of those girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

If FF had anyone except Micheál as leader they would walk this election.... he is a link to what went on 10 yrs ago....

If any of these leaders were debating against Trump he would chew them up and spit them out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Would I be mad to spread a bit of nitrogen with a cold week promised next week. Ground condition is fairly good at the moment. Might not be after the weekend. Would like to have a bit of grass coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Would I be mad to spread a bit of nitrogen with a cold week promised next week. Ground condition is fairly good at the moment. Might not be after the weekend. Would like to have a bit of grass coming.

Good news is soil temperatures seem to be near or above 6C - min temp for growth

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/farming/agricultural-data-report

But I reckon myself the old rule applies of not spreading fertiliser if the tractor wheels are tracking the ground and don't spreading if heavy rain is forecast within two days. 

If the temperature drops next week again- there wont be much growth tbh and any nitrogen will just be sitting there at best...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement