Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Was that the enniscorthy crew?
    Breens.

Ya. Seriously talented men

Was that the enniscorthy crew?
    Breens.

Ya. Seriously talented men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭I says

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Is it only my father that loves doing stuff the hard way?. I try to do things in a way thats as easy as possible even if it takes a few minutes longer but hes mad to just bull in but half kill both of us in the process. I got a small lorry of bales last night and i wanted to roll them off and move around with bale lifter but he wanted to move them completely by hand.

No they’re all like that. There’s a lad beside me always out rooting and bolloxing with a shovel/spade or pick putting in shores into a drain wouldn’t use a digger. Loves hardship . One of these days I’ll stop the car get out and give him a boot up the hole, for being an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Grueller wrote: »
    Have the full box set here. The one on carriage making was unreal.
    Does the box set include the earlier b&w videos. Reason I ask is because a neighbour (Longford) was filmed by Hands sometime in the late '60's/early 70's hand weaving. I think he wove a turf basket/creel.

Base price wrote: »
    Does the box set include the earlier b&w videos. Reason I ask is because a neighbour (Longford) was filmed by Hands sometime in the late '60's/early 70's hand weaving. I think he wove a turf basket/creel.

There is one in there on basket weaving Base. I am not sure if it is black and white or not though. I haven't watched them in a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

It's a bit late now asking for advice but I took the plunge today and bought a Stihl MS211? What's people's opinions on the saw? I only tried it out for a few minutes tonight but it's miles ahead of my previous saw in the power department.

There a grand saw, Tbh tho I'd recommend any fella who does abit of saw work to buy a professional saw, allot less problems down the road aswell as increased performance. Obviously there more money first day but if you look after um, they easily pay for themselves over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

That’s a mighty job

Its ok, a pity he made us reuse the old rusty pillars and sculling gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Bless him. I hope you followed him into the field so you learned to broadcast seed by hand :)

Oh Base, I learnt that skill a long time ago, thus why i was putting on the sower... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Its ok, a pity he made us reuse the old rusty pillars and sculling gate.

I saw that, takes the shine off the effort of putting up such a good unit. Is that gate just held by two welds and a bolt? Surely he could have bought a head gate and have it concreted in, giving himself peace of mind. I'd be feared every time I ran an animal into that race that it would continue on through with the gate over its head.

• Advertisement

I saw that, takes the shine off the effort of putting up such a good unit. Is that gate just held by two welds and a bolt? Surely he could have bought a head gate and have it concreted in, giving himself peace of mind. I'd be feared every time I ran an animal into that race that it would continue on through with the gate over its head.

Ya that's all. Can buy a new semi auto for 270 and get the vat back aswell on it. Another €700 would have made a great job out of it, no telling him though and it wasn't for a lack of trying. Only put a 5ft wall in it too, no way would he put a 6ft one in, would have been an extra 2m of concrete and the pans were high enough. It's a miracle it turned out as well as it did. Didn't want to put steel in the wall either but we put the foot down with that. A job you'd be delighted to be finished in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ya can go anywhere within 20km of home, plus now you can go anywhere in Kildare too. It's to give bit more freedom within the county for people. You're restricted to 20k from home once you leave the county border

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Ya can go anywhere within 20km of home, plus now you can go anywhere in Kildare too. It's to give bit more freedom within the county for people. You're restricted to 20k from home once you leave the county border

I cycle with the 905's from edenderry. They are able to small group cycle now anywhere in offaly but i cant join them :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I cycle with the 905's from edenderry. They are able to small group cycle now anywhere in offaly but i cant join them :p

Be grateful for small wins ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see the CCPC (Competition and Consumer Protection Commission) have come out and stated that there is no cartel or breaches of competition law within the beef industry after their extensive research. Unfortunately the article is subscriber only. It makes my blood boil reading it - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/no-cartel-in-the-beef-industry-competition-watchdog-550294

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭bonaparte2

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/no-evidence-of-pricing-cartel-in-beef-industry-competition-authority-39263201.html

It's good that there's such cutthroat competition between factories for beef. I'll sleep soundly knowing all is well in our industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Ya that's all. Can buy a new semi auto for 270 and get the vat back aswell on it. Another €700 would have made a great job out of it, no telling him though and it wasn't for a lack of trying. Only put a 5ft wall in it too, no way would he put a 6ft one in, would have been an extra 2m of concrete and the pans were high enough. It's a miracle it turned out as well as it did. Didn't want to put steel in the wall either but we put the foot down with that. A job you'd be delighted to be finished in.
    Putting in a crush with 37” 4 bar gates between posts
    How much should we leave from concrete to bottom of gate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I see the CCPC (Competition and Consumer Protection Commission) have come out and stated that there is no cartel or breaches of competition law within the beef industry after their extensive research. Unfortunately the article is subscriber only. It makes my blood boil reading it - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/no-cartel-in-the-beef-industry-competition-watchdog-550294

These new farm organisations are just going over the same ground as we did ten to twenty years ago with the same results.
    It's hilarious, 200 complaints to CPPC ,each complaint a copy of the previous one, complaining about collusion.
    Unless they show some initiative now they might as well give up.

Putting in a crush with 37” 4 bar gates between posts
    How much should we leave from concrete to bottom of gate?

Are you putting a step in it? I like to have the top bar around 4'6". 12-14" gap I'd say, I wouldn't like to be going any bigger with calves. 4" step would close it up enough, I know some fellas don't like a step on the chute though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

wrangler wrote: »
    These new farm organisations are just going over the same ground as we did ten to twenty years ago with the same results.
    It's hilarious, 200 complaints to CPPC ,each complaint a copy of the previous one, complaining about collusion.

Next clusterf**k will be meat & bonemeal.
    We export 1000 tons a week to the uk.
    If they actually leave the EU, we can no longer do so.
    That's about 40 artic loads a week..
    Factories will surely use it as a way to cut prices further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Next clusterf**k will be meat & bonemeal.
    We export 1000 tons a week to the uk.
    If they actually leave the EU, we can no longer do so.
    That's about 40 artic loads a week..
    Factories will surely use it as a way to cut prices further.

What do they do with it

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What do they do with it

Burn it.
    It's considered dangerous waste, and seemingly you can't export dangerous waste out of the EU.

This evenings messing.
    Hopefully be concreted in by this time tomorrow.

PDPxn98.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bunker?

Yeah, chemical warfare ... :D

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Bunker?

Sheep dipping tank, great job if you can have it under the race,
    with a dummy sheep up front and a spring loaded trapdoor they just fall in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is it easy to get fleeces from lads, need them for hive roof insulation.

They don't have to be washed or anything special, straight off the back.

Obviously I'd pay.

Is wool still hard to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Danzy wrote: »
    Is it easy to get fleeces from lads, need them for hive roof insulation.

They don't have to be washed or anything special, straight off the back.

Obviously I'd pay.

Is wool still hard to sell.
    Where you based?
    I’ll be shearing next week

Sheep dipping tank, great job if you can have it under the race,
    with a dummy sheep up front and a spring loaded trapdoor they just fall in

Yes, hope to get a sideways slide, with a curtain or something.
    Not too bad a job if you can confine groups of 5 or so right beside it.

Where you based?
    I’ll be shearing next week

North cork.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yes, hope to get a sideways slide, with a curtain or something.
    Not too bad a job if you can confine groups of 5 or so right beside it.

They never forget dipping from one year to the next, My sheep wouldn't go within 5 ft of the tank at any time of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lovely moon out tonight

They never forget dipping from one year to the next, My sheep wouldn't go within 5 ft of the tank at any time of the year

Hope it doesn't rain tonight....
    Left a ton bag of concrete mix sitting in it in case it decided to float.
    Learned that the hard way once....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

And in other news we haven't got a government yet because.. wait for it.

The Greens have a sizeable number of secondary school students (with no life experience) as members. They have the same vote as the adults in the Green Party. And the GP have a system where the party can't decide on what actions they take without it going to a vote from their members.
    So the 17 year olds want the GP to remain in opposition for now and to be a majority party in the future and the adults want to go into government now.

That's gas, have you a link or source for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's gas, have you a link or source for this?

Morning Ireland a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Morning Ireland a few days ago.

The kids didnt really know what they were on about, one said they should stay in opposition so they could make meaningful changes rather than go into government and have their changes watered down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

ganmo wrote: »
    The kids didnt really know what they were on about, one said they should stay in opposition so they could make meaningful changes rather than go into government and have their changes watered down.

It'll be a case of whoever teaches the students or whatever they were taught rules the country in the next government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113633416#post113633416

Portaloo in the field and one in the yard 😂

It'll be a case of whoever teaches the students or whatever they were taught rules the country in the next government.

Sure aren't parents teaching their kids atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

_Brian wrote: »
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113633416#post113633416

Portaloo in the field and one in the yard 😂

Spud/veg boys have to do it now for their supermarket contracts assurance schemes, farm assurance requires on site facilities and shower for employees aswel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

We’ve a Dublin Eircode and a Meath address, so from 2mora we have two counties to drive in.
    What sort of codology rule is this?

We’ve a Dublin Eircode and a Meath address, so from 2mora we have two counties to drive in.

Pedantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ahh it’s just to give some freedom and yet not having people running the length and breadth of the country just yet.

Yea there’s anomaly’s but sher isn’t it better than nothing.

I don’t think it was intended to be mathematically scrutinised, just a bit more freedom.

I think it would have been better say a 30km distance rather than your county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think it would have been better say a 30km distance rather than your county.

Theres no one rule that will suit everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Decided to try to incorporate some white clover into grass sward of a 5 acre field as an experiment yesterday... 5kg of clover and 3 bags of granlime into the spreader and away. Field was cut for bales aprox 10 days ago but slow regrowth.
    Field got slurry earlier in the year and P&K would be ok. A bit of rain over the past few days also
    Going to harrow with grass harrow today or tomorrow....
    Any thoughts/experiences?
    Would I need to roll as well.... yes I imagine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Decided to try to incorporate some white clover into grass sward of a 5 acre field as an experiment yesterday... 5kg of clover and 3 bags of granlime into the spreader and away. Field was cut for bales aprox 10 days ago but slow regrowth.
    Field got slurry earlier in the year and P&K would be ok. A bit of rain over the past few days also
    Usually add clover from sept onwards due to grass possibly smothering it out and wetter time of the year.
    Clover could take a good month or two to establish in the swarth so be patient.
    No harm to give it rub of the harrow and roll to get soil contact.
    Are ya sure it would have gone out even as its prone to take over if sown too heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

jimmy G M wrote: »

You need to graze the grass regularly at low covers to let light down to the bottom of the sward so the clover can get established.

And no N for the rest of the year, or till September at least. Any N will get the grass growing stronger than the clover and shade it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thanks for getting me back in Buford. Now don't be locking me out again! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thanks for getting me back in Buford. Now don't be locking me out again! :P

I only suspended the ban, any more of those pics and I'll bring it back:eek: :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement