Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Niallers87

rushvalley wrote: »
    No beef crisis in Ennis anyways 😂

Thats crazy money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just had the guards at the door. They were following a car that was abandoned at the end of our lane. I was only after driving in a couple of minutes before that. Dogs going crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just had the guards at the door. They were following a car that was abandoned at the end of our lane. I was only after driving in a couple of minutes before that. Dogs going crazy

Stay indoors. Let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Any of the dogs a guard dog? Let him off if there is.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Any of the dogs a guard dog? Let him off if there is.

One of them barks at everyone that comes near the place. It's mad I was only after driving in a couple of minutes before that and saw nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

One of them barks at everyone that comes near the place. It's mad I was only after driving in a couple of minutes before that and saw nothing

Yeah. U were lucky you were off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Actually ..get a family member to check anything that has four wheels is still where it's supposed to be.
    Unless you're a hardy type yourself.

A similar thing happened here with on the runs from the guards coming across fields to here and our car was stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I reckon Britain will cut the north loose in order to get the Brexit they are after. It's the border that's the big stopping point, and Arlene and her crew are saying they'll back nothing that would see the North separated a bit from England. But Boris won't give a toss, and will allow the north be aligned with the EU with some sort of sea border or something. Arlene and the unionists will do their nut, the republicans will think it's 32 county time and the place will go to pot up there with hoodlums on the rampage under the unionist/nationalist banner even though they haven't the foggiest what either stand for!

I just seen in my post history this nugget from last June. Only the last little bit yet to come to fruition. Lets hope it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I just seen in my post history this nugget from last June. Only the last little bit yet to come to fruition. Lets hope it doesn't

Once they extend the Carrick a reede rope bridge to Scotland the union will be whole again.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

i was looking at the department of agriculture website looks like for cattle tags theres a new company approved called agritags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just came across this. Thought I'd share :pac:
    Dear Mum & Dad,

I am very well, I hope you are too. Tell big brothers Sean, Paddy and Mick that the Army is better than working on the farm; tell them to get into the Army quick before the jobs are all gone.

I was a bit slow settling down at first because you don't have to get out of bed until 6am, but I got used to it and I like sleeping in late now. All you do before breakfast is make your bed, shine your boots and clean your uniform. No cows to milk, no calves to feed, no feed to stack, no muckin' out after the animals, nothing. Men must shave. For breakfast there’s cereal, fruit and eggs, and as much bread or toast as you like, huge pots of taé but there's no big steaks or chops for brekkie. You don't get fed again until noon, and by that time all the city boys are buggered because we've been on a 'route march', which is just like walking to the well in the meadow.

This will kill Sean and Paddy with laughter but I keep getting medals for shooting!! I don’t know why because the bull’s-eye is as big as a bloody bull's head and it doesn't move and it’s not firing back at you like the Murphy’s did when our bull got their cow in calf before the Ballina show. All you have to do is make yourself comfortable and hit the target - piece of piss. You don't even load your own cartridges – they come in boxes and you don't have to steady yourself against the roll bar of the tractor when you reload. Sometimes we wrestle with the city boys and I have to be very careful because they break easy - it's not like fighting with Sean, Paddy, Mick and all the other local fellas all at once like we do.

Turns out I'm not a bad boxer either; it looks like I'm the best the platoon's got. I've only been beaten once by this guy from Donegal - he's a 6 foot 8 former Olympian and weighs 120 kilos so he’s a good bit bigger than me but I fought to the end.
    I can't complain about the Army - tell the boys to get in quick before word gets out how good it is.

Your loving daughter,
    Siobhàn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ahahah I remember it from before but had forgotten the twist ending!!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

In Verona Italy for work. Never knew Giuliette of Romeo and Juliet fame was from around these parts ! Learn something new every day. Nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    In Verona Italy for work. Never knew Giuliette of Romeo and Juliet fame was from around these parts ! Learn something new every day. Nice place

Isn't there a house there for Romeo & Juliet. Was in the town a few years ago. Strolled around nearly it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Anyone have a cheap rotavator for sale in the Midlands?!
    Nothing on done deal.
    Looking for a 4 or 5ft Howard to do the garden etc. Not looking for an oil painting, but something that works!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Isn't there a statue of juliet with the breast nearly rubbed off her by tourists.
    I think it's in verona too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭straight

wrangler wrote: »
    Isn't there a statue of juliet with the breast nearly rubbed off her by tourists.
    I think it's in verona too

That's right. I was up in the balcony where romeo proposed. The romance was totally lost on me. The girl I was with had me under pressure to propose, she got her way eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

I read that as Verona Murphy!!!!!!
    I wondered what you work at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

straight wrote: »
    That's right. I was up in the balcony where romeo proposed. The romance was totally lost on me. The girl I was with had me under pressure to propose, she got her way eventually.

Congrats
    Lovely city, was there on a junket which made it all the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Anyone have a cheap rotavator for sale in the Midlands?!
    Nothing on done deal.
    Looking for a 4 or 5ft Howard to do the garden etc. Not looking for an oil painting, but something that works!

They're hard found, I was looking for a few years and found none. I eventually asked a guy who does a bit of dealing in machinery to keep an eye out for me and he got one in the UK for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I recently spent €6,500 on a young registered Black Angus bull. I put him out with the herd, but he just ate grass and wouldn't even look at a cow.

I was beginning to think I had paid more for that bull than he was worth. Anyhow, I had the Vet come and have a look at him. He said the bull was very healthy, but possibly just a little young, so he gave me some pills to feed him once per day.

The bull started to service the cows within two days, all my cows! He even broke through the fence and bred with all of my neighbor's cows!

He's like a machine! I don't know what was in the pills the Vet gave him . . . . . . but they kind of taste like peppermint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Rosahane wrote: »
    I recently spent €6,500 on a young registered Black Angus bull. I put him out with the herd, but he just ate grass and wouldn't even look at a cow.

I was beginning to think I had paid more for that bull than he was worth. Anyhow, I had the Vet come and have a look at him. He said the bull was very healthy, but possibly just a little young, so he gave me some pills to feed him once per day.

The bull started to service the cows within two days, all my cows! He even broke through the fence and bred with all of my neighbor's cows!

He's like a machine! I don't know what was in the pills the Vet gave him . . . . . . but they kind of taste like peppermint.

Be careful of those.....they change your sexual orientation..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

As far as I remember it's the first line if the play "Two houses in fair Verona..." or words to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

alps wrote: »
    Be careful of those.....they change your sexual orientation..
    :D
    "I was sexually disorientated your honour"

Great stretch in the evenings now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Great stretch in the evenings now

Yep.
    Even with the relentless rain there now it’s a great improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Rain and more rain. Shannon airport has recorded 153mm so far in February, with 9 days to go. Monthly average for Feb is 76mm.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Rain and more rain. Shannon airport has recorded 153mm so far in February, with 9 days to go. Monthly average for Feb is 76mm.

It’s well beyond a joke at this stage.
    At least all those farmers that were looking for rain will be happy now🀔

tanko wrote: »
    It’s well beyond a joke at this stage.
    At least all those farmers that were looking for rain will be happy now🀔

I'd say even they're pissed off at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'd say even they're pissed off at this stage

Even the ducks aren't happy ...