Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

KatyMac wrote: »
    Question to anyone who has/had horses!
    I've a very ancient old lady (32+years) and I've always put a waterproof blanket on her to bring her through the winter. I reckon keeping her outside moving is better than inside getting stiff. Had to buy her a new one last autumn. To my eyes it's exactly the same as the one she's outlived but I cannot keep it on her. Lost count of the number of times we've had to walk fields to find it. And the mad thing is that the buckles/fastenings are not open. She seems to have developed a knack of shimmying out of it. So the question - any ideas now to stop her? She is outside this weather and I'm feeling sorry for her. I've used twine wrapped round buckles to no use.

Is there leg straps on it? Could always try something like an elasticated roller girth for indoor rugs- https://www.tackandturnout.co.uk/new-products/product/3798-elastic-roller-for-rugs or https://www.horze.co.uk/horse-rug-accessories/horze-elastic-fleece-girth-for-blankets/14611.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

whelan2 wrote: »
    I love your optimism

To be fair "many weather's" sounds like an improvement from constant rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d say the hoteliers are rubbing their hands seeing popular holiday destinations being affected by Covid19

Be allot more staycations and prices will be strong as a result.

On a side note, Covid19 isn’t near as catchy as “swine flu” or SARS, I think they missed a trick there. “Wu-Flu” was a term I saw online, I think that would be a better PR move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

_Brian wrote: »
    I’d say the hoteliers are rubbing their hands seeing popular holiday destinations being affected by Covid19

On a side note, Covid19 isn’t near as catchy as “swine flu” or SARS, I think they missed a trick there. “Wu-Flu” was a term I saw online, I think that would be a better PR move.

We are just back from lanzarote, and I'm wondering would I get a cheap deal for a few months time again if I was to book during this craic.
    23° lying beside the pool at the end of Jan was nice

Bullocks wrote: »
    We are just back from lanzarote, and I'm wondering would I get a cheap deal for a few months time again if I was to book during this craic.

Probably good value to be had with the hotel that is in lockdown at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

Bullocks wrote: »

Could get your own temp up to 38° or39° maybe.

emaherx wrote: »
    Probably good value to be had with the hotel that is in lockdown at the moment.

I know of a couple going off on a cruise on that ship that was locked down, she is 80’s and he is 90’s, due to depart I think next week.

I know of a couple going off on a cruise on that ship that was locked down, she is 80’s and he is 90’s, due to depart I think next week.

I'd imagine it will be roomy. And a smelling strongly of disinfectant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have you booked anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭straight

Careful now...

• Advertisement

Have you booked anything yet?

Yea.
    Tickets to Italy, plan is to spend a week in Italy and then a week in Croatia.

It’s a wait and see, it’s mid July so a long way off yet. If it were this week I’d say definitely not, but a few months time leaves room for much to happen.

Ye my niece is to go on a school trip to France this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

I've a very ancient old lady (32+years) and I've always put a waterproof blanket on her to bring her through the winter. I reckon keeping her outside moving is better than inside getting stiff. Had to buy her a new one last autumn. To my eyes it's exactly the same as the one she's outlived but I cannot keep it on her. Lost count of the number of times we've had to walk fields to find it. And the mad thing is that the buckles/fastenings are not open. She seems to have developed a knack of shimmying out of it. So the question - any ideas now to stop her? She is outside this weather and I'm feeling sorry for her. I've used twine wrapped round buckles to no use.

Link together the leg straps. Has it got a neck part?

Ye my niece is to go on a school trip to France this weekend.

Local school due to go to Italy in next week or two. I know I wouldn’t be sending my kids on that trip. I expect the school will pull it, but no word yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

I wonder is it the time of year?? Horses starting to coat off a bit and getting itchy because of it, and then rolling more to scratch the itch. Dads hunter has gotten out of his rug this week after keeping it all winter, 2 young horses are after doing the same and the girlfriends mare has to have hers found and put on again or straightened ever shagging morning the last 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Local school due to go to Italy in next week or two. I know I wouldn’t be sending my kids on that trip. I expect the school will pull it, but no word yet.

The trouble is that the school will have to wait for the government/ travel company/ department of education or some other authority to pull the trip. If they don't wait the travel insurance will not pay out and parents may pursue the school for a refund.
    Sounds a bit mad but the brother is a teacher and has an exchange to Italy planned for three weeks time. Italians here for a week then his group goes there. He is hoping some authority will take the decision out of his hands before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,398 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Philip Browne IRFU wanted an order from the Govn't cancelling the rugby match, if that's what the Govn't wanted to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

That could be to satisfy an insurance clause, just like the schools.

If the matches don't go ahead will the Italian fans get their money back or if not will they travel anyway?

Grueller wrote: »
    The trouble is that the school will have to wait for the government/ travel company/ department of education or some other authority to pull the trip. If they don't wait the travel insurance will not pay out and parents may pursue the school for a refund.
    Sounds a bit mad but the brother is a teacher and has an exchange to Italy planned for three weeks time. Italians here for a week then his group goes there. He is hoping some authority will take the decision out of his hands before the weekend.

Yes, best chance for money back is wait until an official travel restriction is introduced.

If it doesn’t come though I wouldn’t be travelling. I’ve gotten much more risk adverse as I’ve gotten older, I suppose that’s a natural thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

There will be no restriction on the actual travelling, flights throughout Europe are carrying on as normal, it’s just the congregation in the stadium is judged to be adversely risky. All they are going to get is a refund on the match ticket,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Jjameson wrote: »
    There will be no restriction on the actual travelling, flights throughout Europe are carrying on as normal, it’s just the congregation in the stadium is judged to be adversely risky. All they are going to get is a refund on the match ticket,

Just for arguements sake if the Irish Government imposed an absolute ban on entry into ths country nect week, where would i stand? The countries i will be in at either time such a ban would be announced i would have entered legally providing i have proof of passage to my home country. Would i technically be classed as illegal, refugee or tourist i wonder?

Better living everyone

Jjameson wrote: »

Would a plane flight not be risky though for the spread of the disease. Confined space etc

Would a plane flight not be risky though for the spread of the disease. Confined space etc

Few hours with a bunch of strangers in a wee tube breathing recirculated air, not at the moment thanks.

There has been some hopes that there would be a natural drop in cases with improved weather like we see with the traditional flu season here, since the flu is a coronavirus too.

Seems the outbreaks in warmer climates is quashing that hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Of course it would.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

There has been some hopes that there would be a natural drop in cases with improved weather like we see with the traditional flu season here, since the flu is a coronavirus too.

Proper Flu is an Influenza virus. The ones with HxNx names, where 'x' is a number, eg. H1N7.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

If a normal healthy person got coronavirus, I assume they can fight it, will they be immune then afterwards? Would the big worry be the old, Young and people already sick getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The worst thing is it appears that if you get it and it strikes you down for a few weeks and you feel you've come through the other side that it can come back again and strike you for a second time.
    Your body doesn't seem to be able to build resistance to it. Maybe it's only certain people with low immunity and maybe who's to say it couldn't strike for a third and a fourth time?
    It's all a new thing now for this modern world that we thought we had diseases and viruses kicked to touch while we still facilitate easy global travel and commerce. Boomtime if you're a lowly hardworking virus.

Michael Bay knew all this. :)

https://youtu.be/4gZ6bpIjeLs

Edit: I suppose that answers farawaygrass 's post above. :pac:
    Still no good news though..

2nd edit: you would have to wonder with the urgency that the Chinese and seriousness that they implemented plans. That this coronavirus was as Buford posted here previously an engineered virus that accidentally got out of a lab in Wuhan. It seems a bit suspect that a virus could naturally mutate from snakes and bats together. It's like something a lab would do just for the cod..

I’m anything but a SF supporter.

But. I have to say they are playing a blinder. It seems to me that following the shocking defeats in the local elections they have brought in some strategists to help them.

I’m seeing posters up advertising their meetings, they may as well be election posters, talking to people the rhetoric from FFG against these meetings is playing to strengthen SF support further.

The Garda commissioner may as well be waving SF flags and handing out leaflets. His background meant he was never a comfortable fit with many of us, but his clumsy attempt to sullen SF just reeks of a politically motivated statement prompted by government.

FFG and greens better get into bed soon, if were returned to an election soon I’d say SF would consolidate more support.

• Advertisement

First confirmed in northern Ireland now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement