Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Base price wrote: »
    L1985 wrote: »
    Was over in the wood cutting some sticks and managed to step on a wasps nest....one went down my top :( four stings and one accidental flash (poor guys married and was mortified) later and I admit defeat! They really really really hurt by the way-3hours later and I’m still in pain!
    How are you feeling today, did you get any sleep last night?

Thanks Base price :). Ah I was fine apart from copious amounts of bitching!!It was still sore yesterday thou-I never seem to remember how much they hurt. Mosquitos never touch me but wasps love me-it’s a trade off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Would you be better bringing back your herd test, to June for example? That way you would have enough time to be clear again before the winter. That's what I do here.

I'd still probably get caught to rest after 4 months. Nearly always someone I'm bounding held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭emaherx

I was driving out of a local town yesterday evening. Just as I came around a corner there was a blue Hiace van coming against me. Just as I appeared they threw a bag of rubbish out the passenger window. I went around the next bend and there was rubbish all along the road.
    I can't for the life of me understand how someone would do that. I'm still fuming over it.
    Time to get a dashcam, me thinks.

Found a petrol hedge cutter at one of my field gates just up from the yard yesterday. It's working perfectly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

emaherx wrote: »
    Found a petrol hedge cutter at one of my field gates just up from the yard yesterday. It's working perfectly too.

I'd be looking for the boyos who left it there tbh. Know someone who had a field gate locked and blocked to prevent access. Some of the travelling cousins turned up armed with a chainsaw to make an alternative access point ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I'd still probably get caught to rest after 4 months. Nearly always someone I'm bounding held up.

Don't meet trouble half way, if you go down you will have plenty of time to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

whelan2 wrote: »
      You wouldn't really be encouraging your kids in to farming the way things are going atm

After the last few years of farming here, I'm sorry to say my greatest success as a parent will be if I can keep them all away from farming.

That's sad to me, it should be a wonderful way of life, ironically enough it's what most rich people aspire to.
      I would hope to provide my children with the experience, knowledge, vision and ability to farm successfully if they wanted to, but I wouldn't see our current standard models of farming as relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

That's sad to me, it should be a wonderful way of life, ironically enough it's what most rich people aspire to.
      I would hope to provide my children with the experience, knowledge, vision and ability to farm successfully if they wanted to, but I wouldn't see our current standard models of farming as relevant.

It’s the man/woman hours that go in to it that go unnoticed.if you put the same hours in if you had a factory job you would have plenty.
      To work all the hours in the day and to get dam all at the factory/Mart for your labour not enough to cover your expenses it’s just madness.
      There is plenty of positives to farming but it’s just very had to justify it with a weekly wage

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

naughto wrote: »
      It’s the man/woman hours that go in to it that go unnoticed.if you put the same hours in if you had a factory job you would have plenty.
      To work all the hours in the day and to get dam all at the factory/Mart for your labour not enough to cover your expenses it’s just madness.
      There is plenty of positives to farming but it’s just very had to justify it with a weekly wage
      You need to make the hours work for you. Rarely here after half 5 in the evening this last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Programme now on RTE 2 about the infamous Nazi Josef Mengele. Never knew he was from the same Mengele family that made the farm machinery. His father Karl started the company.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-07-19-mn-26318-story.html

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

You need to make the hours work for you. Rarely here after half 5 in the evening this last 3 months.

That’s the summer months what about winter and calfing season getting up in the middle of the night/or lambing season where you practically live in the hayshed.
      The day of the small farmer is gone Nat part time and then it’s probably there main income supplementing the farm to keep it going.
      Again not saying it’s not for everyone but you can see why it’s not appealing to the next generation.

When is this farming life back on the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Don’t get to read the paper often but saw that a lad in Ballyvaughan planted half an acre of sunflowers. And half an acre of wildflowers. The photos looked great. I’d love to try something like it. He did have the equipment to do it though.

Must see can I call up to have a look before they die off. The lads would love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Bet you don’t start work after 8am?

Odelay wrote: »
      Bet you don’t start work after 8am?

Ah but I can have a few hours off during the day ..

gozunda wrote: »
      I'd be looking for the boyos who left it there tbh. Know someone who had a field gate locked and blocked to prevent access. Some of the travelling cousins turned up armed with a chainsaw to make an alternative access point ....

If it was a chainsaw I'd agree, but what malicious plan could they have with a cheap petrol hedge trimmer from Woodies?

Funny enough we were trimming hedges at home so I gave it a go and it was fairly lame in comparison to my battery Stihl trimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

emaherx wrote: »
      If it was a chainsaw I'd agree, but what malicious plan could they have with a cheap petrol hedge trimmer from Woodies?

Funny enough we were trimming hedges at home so I gave it a go and it was fairly lame in comparison to my battery Stihl trimmer.

Do you not think it was robbed on some poor sod?
      Guards might be worth a call/visit.

Do you not think it was robbed on some poor sod?
      Guards might be worth a call/visit.

Perhaps, it's not a particularly good one, but looks like it hasn't seen much work either can't see why it would be dumped if stolen, was dumped with a pile of cardboard. My brother reckons whoever dumped the cardboard may have taken it out to dump the cardboard and forgot to put it back into boot. Maybe I'll give Gaurds a call in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Don't you just love how the Aussies back their farmers. It would never happen here..

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/australian-farm-trespassers-to-be-fined-up-to-22-000-488658

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

My OH went for a walk yesterday evening to carry the pup for a walk. Normally the eldest takes her but he was off to the Rose for the evening. Anyway, the dog went into the ditch like she normally does but this time she didn't come out. Herself came back and we all went out looking for her but no sign or sound of her at all.

The neighbour has heifers and bulls in the two paddocks bounding here and I went into the two and beyond looking for her but no sign whatsoever.

It was getting dark at this stage so we came back to the house and tears all round. I was telling them she probably got a bit lost in a burrow and will make her own way out over the night and follow our tracks back to the house but not really believing it myself.

More tears.

Then a black and brown streak covered with sh!te tore in the door and jumped onto the (new) couch dead happy and proud of herself for all the rabbits chased. Everyone delighted going to bed. And not a word about the dirty couch either:pac:

The year doesn't be long going around. Daughter back to school today . Young lad back on Thursday .

• Advertisement

The pony has the lawnmower job on the front lawn again here.

Why people waste money on autonomous lawnmowers worth thousands of Euro and spending money on electricity for the darn things I don't know.
      €35 every six months to get his feet paired and Bob's your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The pony has the lawnmower job on the front lawn again here.

Why people waste money on autonomous lawnmowers worth thousands of Euro and spending money on electricity for the darn things I don't know.
      €35 every six months to get his feet paired and Bob's your uncle.

buddy of mine got 2 pet lambs one year to do the job...he now has 2 robots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The year doesn't be long going around. Daughter back to school today . Young lad back on Thursday .

The middle two here are starting tomorrow, the eldest on Thursday and the youngest on Monday next.

3 different school finishes as well which make the afternoon a bit tricky for getting work done and I have a lad coming next week to lay a bit of concrete and sort out down pipes and outlets for evechutes before the winter starts again.

I must dig out and set 6 cubicles in concrete again as well seeing as he had a mini digger and rock breaker coming.

ganmo wrote: »
      buddy of mine got 2 pet lambs one year to do the job...he now has 2 robots

You should have told him to get an elderly Welsh x Shetland stallion pony that's trained to an electric fence. You don't even need a current in the wire if he's trained well enough.

Did you not explain to your mate the damage he is doing to the planet with those 2 robots now?
      My lawnmower is biodegradable and soil health friendly..

You should have told him to get an elderly Welsh x Shetland stallion pony that's trained to an electric fence. You don't even need a current in the wire if he's trained well enough.

Did you not explain to your mate the damage he is doing to the planet with those 2 robots now?
      Would the pony not be heavy on the lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Why a stallion? They can be vicous cnuts. Bet get something gelded or a older mare. Woman down the road here had a shetland cross and her neighbour had to take a shovel to it one evening to protect himself.

Would the pony not be heavy on the lawn?

He never marks it.

Why a stallion? They can be vicous cnuts. Bet get something gelded or a older mare. Woman down the road here had a shetland cross and her neighbour had to take a shovel to it one evening to protect himself.

Great way of keeping undesirables out :)

Not necessarily a stallion. But this fella is a dote.
      We bought him years ago at a sale in a Mart and he kicked the place down as he was between a mare and a gelding. Only made £300. At home he was a different horse.

A lot of it has to do with how they're handled. Cousin had a mare once that absolutely hated men. I went out one time to pet her and she turned on me. I cleared a 5ft fence in a single jump!!
      Some people should never be let near a horse. People lash out at their horses when they're afraid of them. It's no surprise then that the same horses then copy those actions.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Not necessarily a stallion. But this fella is a dote.
      We bought him years ago at a sale in a Mart and he kicked the place down as he was between a mare and a gelding. Only made £300. At home he was a different horse.

A lot of it has to do with how they're handled. Cousin had a mare once that absolutely hated men. I went out one time to pet her and she turned on me. I cleared a 5ft fence in a single jump!!
      Some people should never be let near a horse. People lash out at their horses when they're afraid of them. It's no surprise then that the same horses then copy those actions.

Was she chestnut? Chestnut mares are blooming bonkers.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement