Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

In a city of 1.3 million the last few days with a few cases of Covid-19 and even have a special unit set up for dealing with it here. Its a bank holiday here with a festival on in the city centre i went in for a look last night and everyone was cool as a breeze no panic whatsoever. Ive never been to Dublin for Patricks day but i reckon we were more condensed as a crowd than what ive seen on television of Dublin.
    Not sure if were being to laid back or yere going over the top at home.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Apparently the ifa have been told there will be no delays in payments this year due to the new system
    Hopefully not considering the delays that the farmers in Louth had last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I wonder will bord bia inspections be suspended......asking for a friend :D

Probably be stepped up a gear.
    Be safer out tramping around the mearn ditch of a farm than sitting in an open plan office....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Apparently the ifa have been told there will be no delays in payments this year due to the new system

I'm sure they'll find a new way of delaying payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Anyone recommend a good medium term forecast app - or just tell me the forecast would be be good too :)

Not sure what to do re fertiliser are - yellow warning for rain, but the forecast for my area doesn’t seem too bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Clear test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I see the greens want to devalue our land
    With a referendum if necessary in their government formation talks

You'll pay a levy on anything more than 25% above local agricultural value
    So if you sell a site for say 50k
    You'll pay the levy on 40k of that

Outrageous in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I see the greens want to devalue our land
    With a referendum if necessary in their government formation talks

You'll pay a levy on anything more than 25% above local agricultural value
    So if you sell a site for say 50k
    You'll pay the levy on 40k of that

Outrageous in my opinion

Methinks they want to stay in opposition....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,488 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Methinks they want to stay in opposition....

It's all part of negotiation.
    Fly the proposal that you know will be highly opposed by the other two parties in one hand and get the lesser proposal that is just below that proposal in opposition passed by fg and ff on the other hand.
    Fg and ff then can claim a moral victory to the world in that the first proposal was shot down and the greens can claim victory in that the real lessor proposals they wanted to get through get accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Landed in New Zealand tonight, Coronavirus mentioned on the flight in and how wed be subject to a probe upon entry however there was none of that from what i could see anyway and there was more interest in preventing pork products entering to keep out tbe African Swine Fever.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭straight

Landed in New Zealand tonight, Coronavirus mentioned on the flight in and how wed be subject to a probe upon entry however there was none of that from what i could see anyway and there was more interest in preventing pork products entering to keep out tbe African Swine Fever.

Where were they going to put the probe...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

straight wrote: »
    Where were they going to put the probe...

Probe is supposed to be very painful, apparently it goes 2-3 inches up your nose.
    Claire Byrne wouldn't agree to demonstrate it on telly during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone pop into the Gort Limousin sale yesterday evening? Some prices up on twitter. Not great, by the look of it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Anyone pop into the Gort Limousin sale yesterday evening? Some prices up on twitter. Not great, by the look of it.

I was there, 9 of the 16 turned up, 3 sold.
    No buyers really and not a lot of interest, roscrea entry is low aswell, it really just costs too much to sell at these sales, €500 to €6oo minimum less in the yard and you’d still be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I'm not sure if many of ye follow horse racing but a well known figure of racing world was laid to rest today.

https://kilkennynow.ie/renowned-kilkenny-horse-trainer-joe-crowley-passes-away-aged-91/

Waiting for the Vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I was there, 9 of the 16 turned up, 3 sold.
    No buyers really and not a lot of interest, roscrea entry is low aswell, it really just costs too much to sell at these sales, €500 to €6oo minimum less in the yard and you’d still be better off.

Ya, a few lads have said that to me. Costing way too much. Especially those that have to travel long distances and pay for accomodation.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

There are now 4 confirmed corona virus patients who I know personally within 2 miles of me and a 5th possible this evening
    All back from Italy

I'd boil the eejits in oil for going and redden their backsides with a black thorn bush
    They had to have known what they were flying into

One of them told the HSE that he was too busy and wouldn't self isolate or go to hospital
    A garda car and an ambulance turned up at his door and he was bundled off to the Mater and rightly so
    You won't have heard that on the news
    In my family, there's 2 with underlying serious health conditions at the moment and I myself have a compromised immune system

To cap it all off, the local active retirement group went to Rome last week.... They're back and acting normal, no 2 week self isolation
    Corona is serious for a lot of us
    Yet there are people out there who are selfishly acting the maggot with other people's lives :mad:
    The active retirement one is mind boggling

I think alot of it is down to not getting your money back if you dont travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

You won’t get your money back if you go either, just the chance of getting and or spreading covid.

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    There are now 4 confirmed corona virus patients who I know personally within 2 miles of me and a 5th possible this evening
    All back from Italy

I'd boil the eejits in oil for going and redden their backsides with a black thorn bush
    They had to have known what they were flying into

One of them told the HSE that he was too busy and wouldn't self isolate or go to hospital
    A garda car and an ambulance turned up at his door and he was bundled off to the Mater and rightly so
    You won't have heard that on the news
    In my family, there's 2 with underlying serious health conditions at the moment and I myself have a compromised immune system

To cap it all off, the local active retirement group went to Rome last week.... They're back and acting normal, no 2 week self isolation
    Corona is serious for a lot of us
    Yet there are people out there who are selfishly acting the maggot with other people's lives :mad:
    The active retirement one is mind boggling

The world wasn't going to stop for this virus, I'm older,asthmatic,and always get a bad time with the flu even with the vaccine. To be realistic Ireland was never going to avoid this virus.

This fella was waiting for me at the back door when I got back from the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

I saw on the news some airport in Asia and they had an app on the phone scanning the temperature of passengers.
    If they had even rigged it up here for Italian flights it would have slowed it down getting here.

Was down the local last night and it was dead. I'm sure a few were keeping their dough for Cheltenham but no doubt some were staying away due to Corona. I'd be raging if I owned a restaurant/ hotel etc over no scanning at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

My daughter lost an UK work contract this week, cancelled at the last minute by the client cos of the health risk . She had accommodation, flights and car hire paid for herself and a colleague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The middle two here are supposed to be going to Spain with the youth club, last 100 euro to be paid last night. One wants to go, the other wants to stay but there's no refunds possible until the whole sum is paid and only if the travel advise is to stay at home.

We had to pay the last of it and hope it's cancelled. I would be immuno-compromised as well and have stocked up on animal meds, lunch stuff for myself and my meds as well.

I wouldn't be very confident of avoiding it myself but I have herself and the eldest lad half trained to take over for a while if needed.

Base price wrote: »
    This fella was waiting for me at the back door when I got back from the yard.
    There was one in the milking parlour this morning too

The middle two here are supposed to be going to Spain with the youth club, last 100 euro to be paid last night. One wants to go, the other wants to stay but there's no refunds possible until the whole sum is paid and only if the travel advise is to stay at home.

We had to pay the last of it and hope it's cancelled. I would be immuno-compromised as well and have stocked up on animal meds, lunch stuff for myself and my meds as well.

I wouldn't be very confident of avoiding it myself but I have herself and the eldest lad half trained to take over for a while if needed.
    Glad we went to our liverpool games earlier in the season

Waiting for the Vet.

How did you get on?

How did you get on?
    Calf has a very bad cough. Vet gave her a couple of intravenous injections, a bottle to inject her every day and some powders that I never heard of "bisolvon"

• Advertisement

Calf has a very bad cough. Vet gave her a couple of intravenous injections, a bottle to inject her every day and some powders that I never heard of "bisolvon"

Humans take it too, to break up mucus /phlegm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement