Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Must look for the bottle of Poitin in the sheds- it might be needed yet

Well seasoned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Reggie. wrote: »
    Well seasoned

Higher alcohol content now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Eamonn8448 wrote: »
    oh i meant that even when publicans are closing its not a good sign of whats coming towards us, theres talk of greed among pharmacies cashing in on this but hopefully that will be remembered , its time for good people to look after good people, this could get very rough

It's the supermarkets that are doing the ripping off, €5 for a box of tissues in Tesco now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Must look for the bottle of Poitin in the sheds- it might be needed yet

Are you going to drink it or use is as a hand sanatiser?

https://www.thoughtco.com/can-you-drink-hand-sanitizer-609277

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Off to lidl now. Have a list. I never bring a list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I live nearly an hour away from home. Afraid of my ****e to go home to help the auld lad around home (he's 73). Would normally spend every weekend there at whatever nonsense he'd thought of during the week

You should be able to help him with out coming too close to him , like many father/son relationship 🤕

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Yeah army is going to code yellow on monday which is the same as foot and mouth. Just troops ready to move if needed is all it is

Are ye going to shoot us if we're found wandering :D

Green cert called off for a month, so guess it'll be the quietest March/April ever around here. Have enough food here for 2 weeks, bought 100yoyos of catfood online, just waiting on delivery so if I can get away with only meeting Mum & Dad & perhaps my aunt, I'll be happy.
    Need some ration for the bull though, might get that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Had a neighbours funeral last evening. Bit surreal. Unreal quiet for what would have been a very big turnout in normal circumstances. Just a nod of the head. Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Go home and help him. Wouldn't it be worse if something happened and you weren't there?

Look this virus is guaranteed now that everyone is going to come into contact with it maybe not today but at some point in the near future and perhaps maybe already has.

If you're worried tell him to stock up on the selenium. People might laugh but phuck em. Do it anyways.( Look it up on previous viruses.) That's what I've got the folks here to do as well as myself and the father would be 83 come this Patrick's day. Maybe a multivitamin tablet as well. They get the selenium from brazil nuts that I bought in bulk online. Two or three a day. A few more either won't kill anyone.
    After that there's not much more you or I can do.

If it pleases yourself wear a mask when you're there. It'll stop you spreading it if you had it.

Don't be fretting. Easier said than done though.

Hard not to fret. He'd be in a high risk category.
    ganmo wrote: »
    This thing is gonna last for weeks if not months, can he operate by himself for that long?

No, afraid not.
    What is your contact with the public?
    Work in an office with heading for 2k others. Open plan one too! Full mix of nationalities, with people coming and going from all over the world, not to mention the many commuting from all over each day.
    1373 wrote: »
    You should be able to help him with out coming too close to him , like many father/son relationship 🤕

True that. The mother would be a problem there. She loves the cuddles! And the foddering around the table. I've suggested to the Mrs we relocate down there for a while but it was met with a stern NO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Are you going to drink it or use is as a hand sanatiser?

https://www.thoughtco.com/can-you-drink-hand-sanitizer-609277

Hand sanitiser.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Off to lidl now. Have a list. I never bring a list

Hope you have riot gear

Are ye going to shoot us if we're found wandering :D

Green cert called off for a month, so guess it'll be the quietest March/April ever around here. Have enough food here for 2 weeks, bought 100yoyos of catfood online, just waiting on delivery so if I can get away with only meeting Mum & Dad & perhaps my aunt, I'll be happy.
    Need some ration for the bull though, might get that tomorrow.

Only the people I dont like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Only the people I dont like ;)

Poor Rangler is too close for comfort. 😊

Lidl had security at the door only allowing a certain amount of people in at a time. It wasn't busy and apart from eggs it was well stocked. Got stuff for my mother, just left it at her door. We are not visiting for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Lidl had security at the door only allowing a certain amount of people in at a time. It wasn't busy and apart from eggs it was well stocked. Got stuff for my mother, just left it at her door. We are not visiting for a while

Not visiting my mam for a while now either.
    But my sister who was out drinking last night has been with her for last two hours having tea. There really is no talking to some people. Mam said earlier she knew people shouldn’t visit her and that was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Last 2 lines there would nearly bring tears to a stone. We're in an unreal situation however long it'll last.

I asked my mother yesterday, what did she think. It only registered with her last night. I set up mass online for her yesterday. These are little things but mean alot to her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Suckler

Last 2 lines there would nearly bring tears to a stone. We're in an unreal situation however long it'll last.

The local community have been phenomenal I have to say. Lot of old people living alone being looked after for shopping etc.

A lot of lads have told older farmers to stay in and they'd do what ever small bit of herding needed to be done.

George lee is keeping himself busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Staying away from parents aswell, mother rang me today saying she had the tea ready this morning....went as far as the door and explained the situation to them, they understand but doesn’t make it easier, my wife has a Auto immune condition and has suffered from asthma in the past, she’s worried but apart from taking precautions there ain’t much more we can do. I’m pissed over the pictures from the pubs but what can I do.......(I know what I would like to do)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Staying away from parents aswell, mother rang me today saying she had the tea ready this morning....went as far as the door and explained the situation to them, they understand but doesn’t make it easier, my wife has a Auto immune condition and has suffered from asthma in the past, she’s worried but apart from taking precautions there ain’t much more we can do. I’m pissed over the pictures from the pubs but what can I do.......(I know what I would like to do)

It's difficult not to wish the virus on them but it's the likes of em that'd infect those oldies belonging to them and escape themselves ........ thoughtless b......ds.
    We've two nieces that'll be on the frontlines ,God help em

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Guy who came back from a stag party in U.K. was in for isolation in the hospital giving everyone guff.
    Had to be put back into the isolation room a few time’s.
    His food was outside and a nurse was gowning up to bring it in and care for him and he opened with a tirade of abuse saying he was being treated like an animal and having his human rights broken.

In the end he was told he would be discharged and receive no treatment and he calmed down a bit.

I hate him and people like him, self entitled pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Don't forget the shopkeepers who have to stay open. Especially the sole traders who face ruin if they close.
    If they close anyway there'll be anarchy as people will have nowhere for food supplies.
    These people have to deal with hundreds of people everyday in close contact.

It's ok for us farmers. We can self isolate all we want is deliveries and departures which can be dealt without contact.

That option is not available for shopkeepers who have to stay open and deal with the public throughout this pandemic.

If there's prayers going. Say one for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

It's impossible for me to avoid the parents as their house is literally between mine & the slatted shed. I'll just try & minimise my travel anywhere else & hope that visitors avoid them too.
    Elderly bachelor neighbour of mine also passed away this evening, years ago he taught me a lot about fishing/shooting & was extremely knowledgeable about all forms of wildlife. In the event of the funeral being private (likely) I'll just have to break out the fishing rod some evening in his memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_Brian wrote: »
    Not visiting my mam for a while now either.
    But my sister who was out drinking last night has been with her for last two hours having tea. There really is no talking to some people. Mam said earlier she knew people shouldn’t visit her and that was ok.

Jesus, I called into the mother today, but didn’t bring the kids - thinking I was doing the right thing... :(
    I‘ve been mostly at home with a week or so, but at the same time, I’ve been to the shops in the last few days. And the kids are only home from school since Thursday...

So is the right thing to do not to call to parents? I thought if you kept your distance, and washed hands as soon as you went in you were ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Jesus, I called into the mother today, but didn’t bring the kids - thinking I was doing the right thing... :(
    I‘ve been mostly at home with a week or so, but at the same time, I’ve been to the shops in the last few days. And the kids are only home from school since Thursday...

So is the right thing to do not to call to parents? I thought if you kept your distance, and washed hands as soon as you went in you were ok?

Washing hands will reduce the risk but any surface can have the virus on it so anything you touch after washing your hands can result in you picking it up again. It doesn't seem to show up for about 5 days after infection but a person can be shedding virus for those days without knowing it.

When they say isolation, they mean isolation, absolutely minimal contact with the minimum number of people for the minimal amount of time.

And it looks like this will be needed for a long time ahead of us:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's people showing up now that have confirmed covid 19 that have never left the house only had contact with carers and family of which none were abroad. So community spreading is definitely happening.

And before anyone looks for links or proof. I'm not giving it out of respect but it has been shared already on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I think it would be helpful if the government would published a heat map of where the cases are.
    This thing of x number of cases in the east means nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They simply don't want a situation where there are a number in Drogheda and none in Dundalk, thus people in Dundalk not feeling under any threat. Also can lead to people being identified.

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    I think it would be helpful if the government would published a heat map of where the cases are.
    This thing of x number of cases in the east means nothing

Now that would be the sensible thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement