Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Best song I've heard in these times was Ronan Collins playing, The Police, Don't stand, don't stand, so close to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Reggie. wrote: »
    Going to get the rake rotor tyres put tubeless and put that stuff into it. Serious pain when they go them go soft. Holds everything up while getting it fixed

Instead of changing the tyres, could you not put the OKO into the existing tubes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Instead of changing the tyres, could you not put the OKO into the existing tubes?

Would that work? Thought they wouldn't work un tubes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭straight

They will fit some smaller JCB dumpers as well.

Do you find the Jcb good? I'm on the look out for a black or grey cab myself for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm in self isolation :(
    As the day went on my throat started to feel a bit different. I'm gonna see how things are later or in the morning. No other symptoms that I can see but better be safe I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

As the day went on my throat started to feel a bit different. I'm gonna see how things are later or in the morning. No other symptoms that I can see but better be safe I suppose

Peace of mind at least
    There’s colds going
    Take a Hot whiskey going to bed

It worked perfectly in the back wheel of a tractor I have.
    Took 3 bottles, but put it into the tube and so far, so good. 2 years ago now.
    Was a plague of a thing, some times go down overnight, sometimes took a week.

straight wrote: »
    Do you find the Jcb good? I'm on the look out for a black or grey cab myself for a while...

Yeah, I like it.
    If you are filling feeder wagons they aren't really able to lift high enough.
    A telescopic of some kind will run rings around them.
    If you need to do any digging or grading they are very versatile.
    No good if you have low sheds, back arm is about 12 feet high.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

One thing in all this cv business is that more pensioners will be going direct with their state pensions into their bank account.
    There's some poor folks used to like going to the post office and getting the cash in hand. Now with this cv business they're looking to get a bank card for the first time in their lives.
    The social fabric of society is being changed fast away from the remaining post offices.
    With all these extra cards in circulation it's imperative that broadband is finally rolled out to everyone to get the real value from a card. But that brings it's own change to possibly harm local business or maybe not but it's all talk for another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

_Brian wrote: »
    Remember Amazon have said they aren’t shipping normal goods but focusing on medical supplies only.
    Not sure about that. The news I saw said they were only accepting deliveries of medical-related products *into* their warehouses - nothing about not shipping other goods.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Water John wrote: »
    Best song I've heard in these times was Ronan Collins playing, The Police, Don't stand, don't stand, so close to me.
    I was driving home last night listening to John Creedon on radio 1 and he played some brilliant Irish songs for St. Patrick's day. Worth a listen for us elder lemons.
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11168208

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

After you brush your teeth at bedtime, gargle your throat for a minute with either Listerene or Oraldene. If you don't have either of these, use salty water. Works everytime for me.

It worked perfectly in the back wheel of a tractor I have.
    Took 3 bottles, but put it into the tube and so far, so good. 2 years ago now.
    Was a plague of a thing, some times go down overnight, sometimes took a week.

Right. It's mainly thorns that do it being pulled out from the ditch. Only small wheels tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Every calving season I suffer from aches and pains. Last year it was my right forearm and lower back, this year both forearms and my right hip. None of the Pain meds gave relief.

I had a packet of Kombu seaweed I bought some time back. For the past 2 weeks I have been chewing on a leaf or two every day, nice and salty. One thing I have noticed the aches and pains have all but disappeared. Coincidence or what, could seaweed have anti inflammatory properties.

Could it be the salt?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Most of us have too much salt in our diet. Certainly it would have a wide selection of minerals. Don't know about the antinflammatories.
    Ha Lime Tree might also need precalver minerals.

Possibly other electrolytes then? I'm just speculating here...

Edit: from Wikipedia

Nutrition and health effects

Kombu is a good source of glutamic acid, an amino acid responsible for umami (the Japanese word used for a basic taste identified in 1908). Several foodstuffs in addition to kombu provide glutamic acid or glutamates.

Kombu contains extremely high levels of iodine. While this mineral is essential for normal growth and development, the levels in kombu can cause overdoses; it has been blamed for thyroid problems after drinking large amounts of soy milk in which kombu was an additive.[15]

It is also a source of dietary fiber. Algae including kombu also contain entire families[16] of obscure enzymes that break down complex sugars that are normally indigestible to the human gut (thus gas-causing), including the well-studied alpha-galactosidase and beta-galactosidase.[17]

Apparently, Kombu is a kelp, so an Irish kelp might be as good, and possibly a fair bit cheaper?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Esel wrote: »
    Could it be the salt?

Possibly magnesium, that’s what gives achy muscles in recovery from exercise. Stops cramps etc.

Possibly magnesium, that’s what gives achy muscles in recovery from exercise. Stops cramps etc.

12% magnesium apparently.

It's probably the whole collection of major and minor elements that you get as well with marine food overall.

Next thing Lime tree farm will be posting about vivid dreams he's having on the stuff!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭straight

Every calving season I suffer from aches and pains. Last year it was my right forearm and lower back, this year both forearms and my right hip. None of the Pain meds gave relief.

I had a packet of Kombu seaweed I bought some time back. For the past 2 weeks I have been chewing on a leaf or two every day, nice and salty. One thing I have noticed the aches and pains have all but disappeared. Coincidence or what, could seaweed have anti inflammatory properties.

I'd increase the protein in my diet if I was you...

• Advertisement

Ha.
    I was recommended a supplement with magnesium and zinc to help me sleep, zma.

It did but after maybe two weeks of taking it, the vividness of the nightmares left me sitting up trying not to sleep. Mad stuff altogether, I take it an odd time now but no more than 4-5 nights in a row. It’s actually an exercise recovery supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

It's been 15yrs since I started dyeing my hair, lots of practice so you won't be seeing my roots just yet :P

The sisters highlights went green(Meant to be atomic blonde) last autumn after years of regular dying. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Ha.
    I was recommended a supplement with magnesium and zinc to help me sleep, zma.

It did but after maybe two weeks of taking it, the vividness of the nightmares left me sitting up trying not to sleep. Mad stuff altogether, I take it an odd time now but no more than 4-5 nights in a row. It’s actually an exercise recovery supplement.

I must chance it. At least 3 by the time I get to sleep. Last night it was after 5. Up a few hours later. At a time when my immune system needs to be near 100%, it's not good. Cut out all coffee and crappy food etc.

It's not night terrors you're getting? I'm expecting them nearly every night as I used get them a lot. They are a terrifying experience.

I take a few grains of sea salt everyday.
    I kinda started after I read it in a Korean natural farming book.

But the second week in jeez I started with these dreams. I'd wake up in the morning not knowing were they real or not. It was really bugging me. But I backed off the sea salt a little and it passed.

Now lime tree you've all that ahead of you. :p

* there's some alternative people who take ormus, a concentrated sea water product (one or two drops a day) and the way they convince themselves it's a positive thing is by saying it's their third eye opening and they have even greater powers of intuition.. so now!!

Gillespy wrote: »
    I must chance it. At least 3 by the time I get to sleep. Last night it was after 5. Up a few hours later. At a time when my immune system needs to be near 100%, it's not good. Cut out all coffee and crappy food etc.

It's not night terrors you're getting? I'm expecting them nearly every night as I used get them a lot. They are a terrifying experience.

I take it now if I’m on a bad streak, usually few doses helps.

If that doesn’t work I have a script filled by GP and that always works. I had to get a script as I was just falling to pieces with insomnia, with the related anxiety issues that it brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The sisters highlights went green(Meant to be atomic blonde) last autumn after years of regular dying. :pac:

Be grand, I'm red/black! Can't feck that up too much.

No outbreaks in Leitrim yet I see. Hope it doesn't cause an influx of strangers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Use it here on tube and tubeless tyres. Just pull out any nails you see sticking through tyres though as I'm sure they won't do tube any good if left in, hole will seal but you might want to drive around a bit.

Edit: found an add especially for you. I'm sure most Defender tyres fitted to the steal rims are tube type.

emaherx wrote: »
    Use it here on tube and tubeless tyres. Just pull out any nails you see sticking through tyres though as I'm sure they won't do tube any good if left in, hole will seal but you might want to drive around a bit.

Edit: found an add especially for you. I'm sure most Defender tyres fitted to the steal rims are tube type.

It's mainly throns so might be hard to get them buggers out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've discharged myself from the isolation unit upstairs! Woke this morning and feeling no worse. Temp is the finest (handy having a baby thermometer in the house), heart rate is as normal as ever so I'm back in the game, working from home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There's a place across the road from me listoke distillery making and selling hand sanitizer if anyone needs some

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement