Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    There's a place across the road from me listoke distillery making and selling hand sanitizer if anyone needs some

OH raided the sheep medicine for ours, we can't get sanitizer any anywhere.
    It's a mixture of
    830ml methylated spirit
    147m glycerine
    15ml diluted sorgene (diluted at 100 parts water to one of sorgene)
    Make it up to 1 litre with boiled water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Esel wrote: »
    Could it be the salt?

Pre-calver minerals, I like that comment.

Could be the salt, that is if it is magnesium chloride, which another poster said eases muscle ache.

I would normally rinse Carrigeen moss. It says on the packet to rinse before using, which I didn't, there is 4.4 g of salt for every 10 g of Kombu in the packet.

wrangler wrote: »
    It's a mixture of
    830ml methylated spirit
    147m glycerine

Same here, except, I poured Isopropyl alcohol, into the wet wipes along with a generous splash of scented Detol(fresh cotton breeze).

Gillespy wrote: »
    I must chance it. At least 3 by the time I get to sleep. Last night it was after 5. Up a few hours later. At a time when my immune system needs to be near 100%, it's not good. Cut out all coffee and crappy food etc.

It's not night terrors you're getting? I'm expecting them nearly every night as I used get them a lot. They are a terrifying experience.

I haven't read it, but Dr Michael Mosley said he also suffered from insomnia. Free postage with the Book Depository.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Fast-Asleep-Dr-Michael-Mosley/9781780724201?redirected=true&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Base1&utm_source=IE&utm_content=Fast-Asleep&selectCurrency=EUR&w=AFFPAU968FBS1YA8VCCM&pdg=pla-293946777986:cmp-9463711619:adg-98687126840:crv-420380901788:pos-:dev-c&gclid=CjwKCAjwsMzzBRACEiwAx4lLG8uufqbUqbuqEJNFVkpb4jWgw-y5qoJ6ubTDDQpb5cS4yB032TwtKRoCe4EQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Same here, except, I poured Isopropyl alcohol, into the wet wipes along with a generous splash of scented Detol(fresh cotton breeze).

Is anyone else's paws getting reddened from all these wipes and alcohol gel? I have sensitive skin and find them gels are harsh so I'm sticking with soap and water and disposal gloves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is anyone else's paws getting reddened from all these wipes and alcohol gel? I have sensitive skin and find them gels are harsh so I'm sticking with soap and water and disposal gloves

The HSE advice also says about the importance of moisturising.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

These stay at home dad days are strange.

3 days in and I’m onto vegetarian curry for dinner, it was nearly a vegan dish but I’m adding some cream just to keep my sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

wrangler wrote: »
    It's a mixture of
    830ml methylated spirit
    147m glycerine

Just reading up on this.
    Old fashioned meths has methanol in it which is very bad, poisonous to drink and even absorbed though skin, whereas some versions use other stuff to make the ethanol unpallatible.

How do you know which version you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

gk5000 wrote: »
    Just reading up on this.
    Old fashioned meths has methanol in it which is very bad, poisonous to drink and even absorbed though skin, whereas some versions use other stuff to make the ethanol unpallatible.

How do you know which version you got?

At the moment here it's all we have, I'm using soap and water at home and have sanitiser in jeep/car. Thanks for the info.
    Alcohol at that strenght isn't great for you either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Is it just in cities that everyone is gone completely loolah? Carrick on Shannon today had the market on (gloves & hand sanitiser mandatory at the gate & point to things on stalls instead of handing every single fcuking tomato on the tray) and LIDL pleasantly quiet, bar a lack of bottled water & bog roll :rolleyes: And security on the door, what's up with that??
    Free parking all over the town too, i'm guessing to prevent contagious infection from the buttons on the machine. Though it's only 20c for the first half hour so it's not exactly a fortune :pac:
    Popped into a Polska shop for some smoked meat & sausage & a bit low stocked & I was only customer so yay, social distancing!

• Advertisement

Was in Tesco today and it was kinda business as usual.

No limit on number of people in store. No security or anything.

People standing round chatting about the weather.

Lady behind me in the till practically climbing into my basket she was so close.

Checkout girl apologised for sanitising her hands between customers.

Stock looked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Daughter was saying people actually came into the shop and where handling bread rolls etc. Like wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

191 new cases today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Base price wrote: »
    191 new cases today.

Yikes that's a big rise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

191 new cases today.

And the article below has a breakdown by county as well, though Laois, Monaghan and Leitrim have 0 cases and are showing as less than 5.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/covid-19-claims-third-victim-as-191-new-cases-adds-to-youngish-profile-of-infected-in-ireland-988996.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

191 new cases today.

More testing being done. If you’re over 70 and have underlying health conditions it’s a very scary time.
    How many people have it and don’t even know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

And the article below has a breakdown by county as well, though Laois, Monaghan and Leitrim have 0 cases and are showing as less than 5.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/covid-19-claims-third-victim-as-191-new-cases-adds-to-youngish-profile-of-infected-in-ireland-988996.html

They said Monaghan is the only county that has no cases now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Anecdotal reports of pubs opening too on the quiet for "regulars".
    And there were loads of booze buses from Dublin that headed up beyond the border on Paddies day too

Anecdotal reports of pubs opening too on the quiet for "regulars".
    And there were loads of booze buses from Dublin that headed up beyond the border on Paddies day too

And the other side, farmers in Galway organising shopping for those unable to go to collect it themselves.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/galway-farmers-lead-covid-19-volunteers-helping-the-housebound-534166

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Cabin fever starting to set in here today, took half an hour to take two pics of the young lad's homework and email it to the teacher. Ripped a back tyre off the tractor today, good job I didn't get round to buying a new set this winter.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Good artical below about how issues like tropical deforestation and the illegal trade in wildlife play a big role in such outbreaks

http://www.birdlife.org/worldwide/news/conservation-time-coronavirus-message-ceo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

On a lighter note
    Is this you Patsy?
    Breakfast Bar stool attached to a bicycle rack with jerry can and funnel attached.
    Turn off for Bunratty today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

On a lighter note
    Is this you Patsy?
    Breakfast Bar stool attached to a bicycle rack with jerry can and funnel attached.
    Turn off for Bunratty today.

Ya, that's me off to self-isolate. Plan is to fill the jerry can with beer and funnel it into me. The breakfast stool was a mistake. I thought it was a regular bar stool.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The UK are listing farmers and farm workers as 'key workers' in the economy, during Covid 19. A step from unskilled, which is what they were listed.

Water John wrote: »
    The UK are listing farmers and farm workers as 'key workers' in the economy, during Covid 19. A step from unskilled, which is what they were listed.

It doesn’t mean they are skilled or unskilled.

In this current crisis highly skilled people can be of low importance and some unskilled workers will be the key to beating it.

Basic farm workers like fruit pickers are unskilled, the U.K. are crying out for them.
    Working machinery or milking cows would likely be classified as semi skilled.

Without looking up the definitions it’s worked out on the amount of qualification and training time required to perform the tasks at hand.

Key personnel in this crisis will include many shelf stackers, cleaners, drivers, farm workers etc. Unskilled isn’t a put down, it’s just an industry description of a position in relation to the cost of deploying a worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Where can I find gestation lengthy for bulls? Icbf seems to have changed. I'm looking for lm2010 and lm2014

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

jimini0 wrote: »
    Where can I find gestation lengthy for bulls? Icbf seems to have changed. I'm looking for lm2010 and lm2014
    Found that too sadly :-(
    Even for calves recorded in calving difficulty
    If you go to prev evaluation, down the bottom there’s some info

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Glanbia stores
    New procedures

Call and collect only from Monday

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/news/new-call-and-collect-service-at-branch-network

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement