Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

See reports of gorse fires in a few places, cork, Kerry.

Is this farmers or what the hell is happening?? I’m presuming burning land is illegal or is it permitted at times ??

At this time there is very few other people about in these remote areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ruwithme wrote: »
    Jaysus you were up early for a Sunday morning with clocks sprung forward and nowhere to go.

Cows to be milked

That must have been one of the most painless time changes ever, maybe not for farmers but most other people had nowhere to go to. Wonder how many didn't even realise it happened and will be late tomorrow.

Was saying if kids had school today it would have been hard to get them up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_Brian wrote: »
    See reports of gorse fires in a few places, cork, Kerry.

Is this farmers or what the hell is happening?? I’m presuming burning land is illegal or is it permitted at times ??

At this time there is very few other people about in these remote areas.

I suppose bushes are finally dry enough to burn...

I have some bushes I’d love to burn, tried to before the 1st March and no way would they catch fire - too wet...

You’re not supposed to burn from 1st March on I think, due to birds nesting maybe?...

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was saying if kids had school today it would have been hard to get them up

How are they finding it ?
    Our eldest is seriously missing the pool. Between lost wages and missing training and just being swimming, 15hrs a week to nothing is a massive adjustment. She’s just a few months young to claim the SW payment for lost work, some of her friends are getting it which stings a bit.

Youngest misses her friends, she’s not allowed on Snapchat while near all her friends are. We spoke to some parents and she can regular text four of her friends.

• Advertisement

How are they finding it ?
    Our eldest is seriously missing the pool. Between lost wages and missing training and just being swimming, 15hrs a week to nothing is a massive adjustment. She’s just a few months young to claim the SW payment for lost work, some of her friends are getting it which stings a bit.

Youngest misses her friends, she’s not allowed on Snapchat while near all her friends are. We spoke to some parents and she can regular text four of her friends.

Eldest lad is grand , he runs locally most evenings and is here to help me now as his placement was suspended. Daughter is 16 is working in local shop most days, so has to be up for 9am. She is very good with the youngest lad and plays football etc with him when she gets home. Youngest lad is 11. He doesn't have a phone, he is football mad. I think the playstation has been one once since they got off school. He video calls 3 of his friends on my phone on WhatsApp each evening. He doesn't really like one of them as he's a bully :cool: . He comes up the fields with me and brings a ball and he goes for the cows with my dad. He sits in the back of the jeep to keep a distance .

whelan2 wrote: »
    Eldest lad is grand , he runs locally most evenings and is here to help me now as his placement was suspended. Daughter is 16 is working in local shop most days, so has to be up for 9am. She is very good with the youngest lad and plays football etc with him when she gets home. Youngest lad is 11. He doesn't have a phone, he is football mad. I think the playstation has been one once since they got off school. He video calls 3 of his friends on my phone on WhatsApp each evening. He doesn't really like one of them as he's a bully :cool: . He comes up the fields with me and brings a ball and he goes for the cows with my dad. He sits in the back of the jeep to keep a distance .

Fairness the schools are keeping work coming.
    Eldest does allot of online work with the odd online live class, but our broadband is pants so it’s hit and miss.
    Youngests school use an app and send us work regularly for her with an email address to return work to. Plus we give a bit extra stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Only the big assed queens make it through the winter;)

And that is why I am still around :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was at the local hardware store just now and talking to the owner. He was saying a good share of people walking in looking for a tin of paint and he has to serve them as he could lose their business if he doesn't.

Plenty of farmers too, all keeping about 3 or 4 m apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Local hardware shop closed here. Guards were out and about yesterday asking where people were going and why.

Slightly off topic but I'm fed up of farmers, particularly the younger generations thinking their great still working, storys up on Instagram with #stillfarming. Sure what else would you be doing, are they looking for a pat on the back? Thats my rant for the day.

• Advertisement

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Local hardware shop closed here. Guards were out and about yesterday asking where people were going and why.

Slightly off topic but I'm fed up of farmers, particularly the younger generations thinking their great still working, storys up on Instagram with #stillfarming. Sure what else would you be doing, are they looking for a pat on the back? Thats my rant for the day.

I posted this on another forum too. These lads going on as if they need a medal for being a farmer. We are just doing what we normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭straight

It probably helps them get through the hard long days while all their normal friends are on Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

straight wrote: »
    It probably helps them get through the hard long days while all their normal friends are on Netflix.

A good kick up the whole would do a lot of people good now i'll tell you - especially the younger crowd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

One thing in all this crises.

Is nobody can afford to price around groceries or essentials. If you have it. I want it. And that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Panch18 wrote: »
    A good kick up the whole would do a lot of people good now i'll tell you - especially the younger crowd!!

What a lot of them fail to grasp is we're all part of a bigger system. If we all do our bit we will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I was at the local hardware store just now and talking to the owner. He was saying a good share of people walking in looking for a tin of paint and he has to serve them as he could lose their business if he doesn't.

Plenty of farmers too, all keeping about 3 or 4 m apart.
    All the hardware's are closed around here.
    A lot of the smaller convenience stores are too.
    The footfall is well down and the money was on offer from the government. So no brainer.

The restaurants have been closed these past two weeks. It's those businesses will be hardest hit and will be hardest to get going and open again.
    The pubs will be fine as people get drunk and forget their problems and be on for the sesh. But the restaurants a lot will close for good and have it tough. People won't like sitting besides other people afraid of what not virus they'll pick up.
    But the same people will order takeaways with no fear and it handled numerous times before it reaches their door.

Same as the thank a farmer ****e. I'm bloody delighted I can get out of the house. My partner is stuck in the house with the young lad, or going for as she describes it "the enforced walk" - it isn't but that's cabin fever, or working remotely from the spare bedroom which incidentally is more frustrating than actually being at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

All the spuds planted today. Roughly two weeks later than normal but sure Rome wasn’t built in a day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

All the spuds planted today. Roughly two weeks later than normal but sure Rome wasn’t built in a day. :)

was a grand day for it , did ye plant much earlies or 2nd earlies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Ah let lads enjoy their moment! Last week I was just a gom. But this week I am “essential”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Work has gone mental due to a thick arrogant C U Next Tuesday who decided to come to work while waiting for the results of their covid-19 test which as it transpires was positive.
    People are gone in different directions self isolating.
    Now back to the coal face id love to be farming now for the next few weeks.

Some employers are being dicks over this. Fella had a cough for a few days, boss said it’s grand keep coming, developed a temperature over the weekend, contacted his boss Monday morning and boss said your grand you don’t have Covid come on ahead.
    Rang GP who ordered 14days isolation and said should have been done earlier. I was in contact with him a number of times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

I'm a dairy farmer #stillfarming.I don't care about peoples opinion,it's about caring for the animals.I know that my cows appreciate my efforts,one of them gave me a pat on the head this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Eamonn8448 wrote: »
    was a grand day for it , did ye plant much earlies or 2nd earlies ?

All Queens.

Just watching the news.

Why do we bother with Seanad elections at all.
    I think all 5 places filled so far are by failed TDs. Is it just a talking shop for failures??

The general public didn’t vote these people into government for a reason, but a tiny % of our population get to vote these losers into the Seanad. It seems wrong. My OH has a vote but I don’t, that doesn’t seem democratic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just watching the news.

I think all 5 places filled so far are by failed TDs. Is it just a talking shop for failures??

The general public didn’t vote these people into government for a reason, but a tiny % of our population get to vote these losers into the Seanad. It seems wrong. My OH has a vote but I don’t, that doesn’t seem democratic to me.

Absolutely. My sister has a vote as she went to Trinity. I went to University of Limerick so I don't. Both of us have equivalent qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Just watching the news.

It needs reforming but the referendum we had was for abolishing it.
    What it needs is for candidates to choose either the general election or the seanad. I voted in the nui panel and the amount of candidates that were either failed tds or part of a political family is stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Is it possible to get soil sampling/testing done at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

The Rabbi wrote: »
    I'm a dairy farmer #stillfarming.I don't care about peoples opinion,it's about caring for the animals.I know that my cows appreciate my efforts,one of them gave me a pat on the head this morning.

I hope she’s out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm stuck in a small terrace house with the wife and 20 month old. Both of us are working from home, and trying to entertain the young lad. It's a feckin nightmare. Luckily, both of us can duck and dive around the work stuff in turns, and then catch up and finish off things when he's in bed. It's a long day. On top of that, I've a heap of manure to spread and some land levelling to do down home before the weather breaks too. Getting there won't be simple either with the guards out stopping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement