Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

8000 pigs? What age/weight?
    That's some load considering an artic holds about 250 at factory weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Uhh, apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I have a somewhat farming related question, sorta.

I need to re-seed a large area of yard, and all the DIY shops are closed. However, farm supplies are open for business with farmers. I am not a farmer, but I have neighbors that are. Could my farmer neighbor acquire grass seed during the lockdown (for which I'd reimburse him) that I could use to seed my yard? Any particular seed to recommend? We stripped the wild covering over this area a couple months back - it was pretty much thistles, blackberries, willowherb, nettles, etc.. Now, it's (still) mostly bare but the thistles are popping up, and I'd rather get something more controllable in place. Like grass. Or even some sort of cover crop like clover that the birds would eat. But it has to grow faster than the weeds and I don't want to be dosing with Roundup or whatever.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and apologies if this is the wrong forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Uhh, apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I have a somewhat farming related question, sorta.

I need to re-seed a large area of yard, and all the DIY shops are closed. However, farm supplies are open for business with farmers. I am not a farmer, but I have neighbors that are. Could my farmer neighbor acquire grass seed during the lockdown (for which I'd reimburse him) that I could use to seed my yard? Any particular seed to recommend? We stripped the wild covering over this area a couple months back - it was pretty much thistles, blackberries, willowherb, nettles, etc.. Now, it's (still) mostly bare but the thistles are popping up, and I'd rather get something more controllable in place. Like grass. Or even some sort of cover crop like clover that the birds would eat. But it has to grow faster than the weeds and I don't want to be dosing with Roundup or whatever.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Your neighbour or yourself for that matter should have no issues getting a bag of seed in any co op. A bag roughly does an acre so you can work off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Reggie. wrote: »
    Your neighbour or yourself for that matter should have no issues getting a bag of seed in any co op. A bag roughly does an acre so you can work off that.

Rang a local farmstore last week enquiring about seed potatos and was told none available i asked about other branches (different type of store same company) she said they cant sell it so i asked her is it a case of ye having it but not selling it as its not essential and she said thsts it exactly.

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

_Brian wrote: »
    What are we doing importing 8000 pigs.
    Are we not continually risking our herds by importing more and more live animals. Surely we have enough breeding stock here.

I'm assuming those are high genetic merit, minimum disease breeding stock rather than fattening stock.

Lets face it, they wouldn't be chartering a plane to bring in a few fattening pigs for slaughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I thought garden centres (and Woodies) were allowed to open from today?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I thought garden centres (and Woodies) were allowed to open from today?
    Local garden centre will be open for deliveries or collections. No one allowed in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Rang a local farmstore last week enquiring about seed potatos and was told none available i asked about other branches (different type of store same company) she said they cant sell it so i asked her is it a case of ye having it but not selling it as its not essential and she said thsts it exactly.

Great. Another famine. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

MeTheMan wrote:
    Took a look a flightradar24 earlier to see how busy the air was noticed a plane doing this over south Donegal and atm there is another returning to shannon after doing the same. What would they be up to??

i live just west snn airport they often have their pilot training there this time of year or when planes are after getting maintenance they do a big circle over foynes back to tarbert and swing in over the clare side of the estuary

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Field grass and lawn grass are a bit different. Field grass tillers (thickens) and lawn seed doesn't. But if you don't mind it should do the job fine.
    Look for a mix with Timothy and Fescue in it, not tetraploid ryegrass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

gerry daly the gardener, always says when going at a lawn lef up the weeds twice or three times kill them each time and set your lawn in august as they will be no weeds the following year, ive told this to ppl and it always works the following year not 1 weed

That would be called a False or Stale seedbed. Google it. Trick the weed seedlings to germinate then rake and leave die. Often used in organic tillage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Maybe try on line seedsdirect.ie or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

orm0nd wrote: »
    Maybe try on line seedsdirect.ie or similar

Yes, I rang seedirect.ie last week and they said they are still delivering, just put in the order online as normal. They said there may be a slight delay with couriers being so busy but should be no more than a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

No hassle getting grass seed around here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Can anyone tell me what the very bright light is in the low western sky for the last few weeks? It looks like 2 lights very close together.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

The planet Venus.

Tonight is lookup at the sky night. And a very fine display it is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Can anyone tell me what the very bright light is in the low western sky for the last few weeks? It looks like 2 lights very close together.
    Venus - it's our brightest planet.

Base price wrote: »
    Venus - it's our brightest planet.

A woman would say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Water John wrote: »
    A woman would say that.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The turf is cut.sad face.
    That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Thanks patsy. You saved me having to ask! Was wondering what it was myself for the last couple of weeks.

Try for these again or get someone with an account to try. They are for food production. Local garden centre never seemed to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

_Brian wrote: »
    My daughter has more than two years full stamps from work but is two months shy of 18 so can’t claim it, her peers at work are all receiving it.

Brian. Your daughter should appeal this.

There are some tweaks to eligibility being announced later on today, according to Richard Bruton

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Brian. Your daughter should appeal this.

There are some tweaks to eligibility being announced later on today, according to Richard Bruton

I must look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'd love a pint of Heineken in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

whelan2 wrote: »
    I'd love a pint of Heineken in a pub.

I have a pint of Guinness here the odd night. Very important to put the glass in the fridge for a while beforehand. Pouring has to be right too. Hhmmm !

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    8000 pigs? What age/weight?
    That's some load considering an artic holds about 250 at factory weight...

That I don’t know but there were 3 levels of them. My guess is they were coming in for a breeding program. It’s the only way you could justify the cost

3 levels of them all individually crated and had to be loaded then into standard artics loose so there was hours of work to unload them.

I would have thought that embryo or semen imports would be cheaper and safer. Especially with the rapid breeding turnaround attainable in pigs.

Hope they are vastly genetically superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I would have thought that embryo or semen imports would be cheaper and safer. Especially with the rapid breeding turnaround attainable in pigs.

Hope they are vastly genetically superior.

Ah shur with all the checks on ports and airports now and normal transport disrupted. The Kinahans had to bring their drugs in some other way!.. :D

That plane full of pigs makes zero sense to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement