Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The only way it makes sense is if the breeding centre was depopulated for some reason.
    8000 pigs is a lot of pigs for Irish farms

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Doesn't make much sense to me either. I would guess that you could get a much lower price now for air freight transport but with quarantine procedures there was a lead in time of months in that pig shipment, unless with the nature of pig housing and segregation that quarantine was applied retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

There was a time we were supposed to be world leaders in pig genetics. Maybe we are falling behind.

With the big rise in pig prices to supply China and trade embargoes between USA and China, maybe the economics became attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I posted it in the Glas thread but in case people miss it.

DAFM is issuing the balancing 15% payment (a month early) at the end of this week.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/26m-in-glas-payments-brought-forward-540580

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Have noticed an awful lot of black droppings on the back lawn here over the last week. Would it be from badgers ?
    If it is, is it safe for the kids to be playing out there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Is everyone else having issues loading the page on the touch site today?

It’s doing that thing of loading the old threads for me, but even reloading the page doesn’t sort it... Takes a good few goes to load properly... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Have noticed an awful lot of black droppings on the back lawn here over the last week. Would it be from badgers ?
    If it is, is it safe for the kids to be playing out there ?

Rabbits??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I had holes in the lawn this time last year. Wondering what was doing it until early one morning I see hares having fun. Lovely animal.
    Wouldn't like if it was badgers, but they would only be there to eat slugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is everyone else having issues loading the page on the touch site today?

It’s doing that thing of loading the old threads for me, but even reloading the page doesn’t sort it... Takes a good few goes to load properly... :(

Yeah, servers under pressure with the Coronavirus forum getting tonnes of views in the last few weeks.

Sorry about that but we'll have to put up with it for a while yet while the IT guys try to find out where the glitches are happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Rabbits??

Haven't seen any around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Who is the name of Christ is mentioning turf at this time of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Glorious sunsets the past few evenings - I am surprised how far north they are on the horizon for April, usually see sunset in the south west sky not the north west at this time of the year.

You must have moved. Used you live on the Faroe Islands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Water John wrote: »
    You must have moved. Used you live on the Faroe Islands?

Maybe I am being transported back in time to "The Thirteen Towers solar observatory of Chankillo in Peru."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQnSqJ7jGmI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but whats the story with the old threads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Not sure if it has been mentioned in farming and forestry but the outcry over feelings bringing in the fruit pickers. Fruit picking is below alot of Irish people.

davidk1394 wrote: »

It's the gremlins in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Not sure if it has been mentioned in farming and forestry but the outcry over feelings bringing in the fruit pickers. Fruit picking is below alot of Irish people.

Saw a keelings statement online that these are workers who they have been working with for years.

These are likely minimum wage jobs with accommodation charged for meaning they are less than minimum wage jobs. Nobody in Ireland is going to do this work. I saw lots of comments about students being off etc but they have no transport where these workers will likely live onsite and work long hours when the crop is ready.

_Brian wrote: »
    Saw a keelings statement online that these are workers who they have been working with for years.

These are likely minimum wage jobs with accommodation charged for meaning they are less than minimum wage jobs. Nobody in Ireland is going to do this work. I saw lots of comments about students being off etc but they have no transport where these workers will likely live onsite and work long hours when the crop is ready.
    I dont think Irish students would do the work either tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    I dont think Irish students would do the work either tbh

Not many would to be honest.
    Lots of people up on their high horse over this but truth is irish people don’t want to do jobs that they see as beneath them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

davidk1394 wrote: »

There's a lot of pressure on the servers with the amount of people online at the one time so the site protection software kicks into action to prevent the site going down.

And there appears to be some small glitch in the software that's causing a few issues as well but the IT guys are flat out keeping the site online atm and haven't had a chance to try to find it and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Typical Twitter and Facebook "pile on" by the easily outraged.
    350 a week to sit on the sofa, verses 380 a week to do 8 hours a day in a poly tunnel on your knees? (minus deductions for food and lodgings)?
    Most of those faceless warriors would be gone by 11am on the first day.
    Probably call into Lidl and buy German jam ( picked by Romanians) at 99 cent a jar instead of buying Irish anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Glorious sunsets the past few evenings - I am surprised how far north they are on the horizon for April, usually see sunset in the south west sky not the north west at this time of the year.
    I noticed that too especially on Tuesday and Wednesday night. I presume that it's down to the atmosphere been a little clearer with less pollution?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »
    I noticed that too especially on Tuesday and Wednesday night. I presume that it's down to the atmosphere been a little clearer with less pollution?

These glorious sunsets are the result of the mountains being set ablaze this past week.
    If there was no smoke in the air you wouldn't get these red sunsets. It's the particles in the air that the light bounces off and shows up.

Mt Leinster has been ablaze the last five days on and off. Wicklow I think it's everyday.

Even further afield Krakatoa erupted but I doubt that's any effect here yet.
    The wildfires in the U.S. last year gave us some great sunsets that everyone noticed. Same with the fires in Portugal the smoke came up here too.

Gents and maybe Ladies too, hair and beard trimmer on sale in Lidl on Monday for €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Typical Twitter and Facebook "pile on" by the easily outraged.
    350 a week to sit on the sofa, verses 380 a week to do 8 hours a day in a poly tunnel on your knees? (minus deductions for food and lodgings)?
    Most of those faceless warriors would be gone by 11am on the first day.
    Probably call into Lidl and buy German jam ( picked by Romanians) at 99 cent a jar instead of buying Irish anyway.

This exactly!! people that wouldnt work in the good times arent going to work now. Fair play to them lads at it. Im working from home at the moment thank god but id have no problem going doing that to keep food on the table. I did worse jobs in the past when in college etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Clear herd test. Had a cow with massive horns skulled. Big enough to make pint glasses out of. Glad to have that job done.

Good to pass, will be reading myself later. Those horns might be handy to those doing biodynamic farming. Don't they fill them with something and bury them in the field for the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    Good to pass, will be reading myself later. Those horns might be handy to those doing biodynamic farming. Don't they fill them with something and bury them in the field for the winter?

Special dates according to the moon.
    Dung and clay and the microbes from the pit for the winter.
    Crushed silica rock and something else for the summer.
    I mightnt be 100% on that.
    Horns have to be from a milking cow.

• Advertisement

Yippee, clear TB test. Was a little concerned as all are bought in animals from 9 different herds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement