Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

These glorious sunsets are the result of the mountains being set ablaze this past week.
    If there was no smoke in the air you wouldn't get these red sunsets. It's the particles in the air that the light bounces off and shows up.

Mt Leinster has been ablaze the last five days on and off. Wicklow I think it's everyday.

Even further afield Krakatoa erupted but I doubt that's any effect here yet.
    The wildfires in the U.S. last year gave us some great sunsets that everyone noticed. Same with the fires in Portugal the smoke came up here too.
    I don't think so. We had stunning sunsets last month and there wasn't any mountains on fire.

Actually Siobhan Ryan (Met Eireann) gives an excellent explanation here - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/why-are-we-having-such-spectacular-sunsets-it-s-all-down-to-the-light-1.4209069

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »
    I don't think so. We had stunning sunsets last month and there wasn't any mountains on fire.

Actually Siobhan Ryan (Met Eireann) gives an excellent explanation here - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/why-are-we-having-such-spectacular-sunsets-it-s-all-down-to-the-light-1.4209069

Apologies. You're completely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Water John wrote: »
    Yippee, clear TB test. Was a little concerned as all are bought in animals from 9 different herds.

Great. Always a relief.
    As for the horns, my brother asked for them- he is into being self reliant etc so will see what he does with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Oh used 2 horns off a bully cow that we skilled last week

whelan2 wrote: »

Did ye boil out the core? My vet was saying some people locally use them as holy water fonts.

Brother wants them for gun powder horns- he doesn’t have muskets.

• Advertisement

Did ye boil out the core? My vet was saying some people locally use them as holy water fonts.

Brother wants them for gun powder horns- he doesn’t have muskets.

He washed them out with boiling water and put meat detail in them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

In times past, large cow horns with the tip cut off, were used for dosing cattle. I have one belonging to an ancestor, it has the Landlord's initials imprinted on it.

The run of bulls is truly over- a red limo heifer this evening. Still happy out. Have one black limo cow, one red and then two speckle parks left to calf.

In times past, large cow horns with the tip cut off, were used for dosing cattle. I have one belonging to an ancestor, it has the Landlord's initials imprinted on it.

What did they dose cattle with and what for in times past?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Around here I saw them used at the end of a handle on a slean. Finished it off nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

What did they dose cattle with and what for in times past?

No idea, but I have seen a similar one on display in a Palatine museum.

No idea, but I have seen a similar one on display in a Palatine museum.

Maybe paraffin oil for bloat or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

whelan2 wrote: »

I'm always reminded of boss Hogg's Cadillac in the Duke's of Hazard when I see something like the above. You'd see some fine specimens going through the mart on occasion. I've already taken to wearing a cowboy hat as protection against the midday sun lately so I suppose a pair of horns mounted on the bonnet of the jeep could only finish off the look.

Maybe paraffin oil for bloat or something.
    + Bluestone (copper sulphate), treacle and epsom salts.

+ Bluestone (copper sulphate), treacle and epsom salts.

And tea, forge water, waste water from poitin still.

And tea, forge water, waste water from poitin still.
    Waste water form a still is distilled water - the clue is in the name. What is forge water?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Waste water form a still is distilled water - the clue is in the name. What is forge water?.

The water used for dousing during forging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Presumably put the horn in the mouth and then pour the dose into the big end?

ganmo wrote: »
    The water used for dousing during forging
    Doh :o

How long after castrating bullocks can they mix with heifers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

We never seperated them when they were strong after using a Burdizzo but we moved to the ring in the last few years i would highly reccomend that for youre own safety and just the handiness of it.

Better living everyone

We never seperated them when they were strong after using a Burdizzo but we moved to the ring in the last few years i would highly reccomend that for youre own safety and just the handiness of it.

Thanks very much,

Well while tb testing, I got the vet to do them- he used the burdizzo this time. He normally cut them. I usually have them sold before needing to castrate but they can graze for a while more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Thanks very much,

Well while tb testing, I got the vet to do them- he used the burdizzo this time. He normally cut them. I usually have them sold before needing to castrate but they can graze for a while more.

If there fairly strong keep a watch for pmeumonia on them as the stress can bring it on in them.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

a vet told me he has known in very rare cases of they getting heifers incalf at up to 3 weeks after squeezing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

A basic question-would ye run suckler cows and their calves with yearling bullocks and heifers? Cows won’t be going to the bull and it would be handier to only have the one grazing group? Or would cows bulking drive the yearlings mad causing loss of thrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

A basic question-would ye run suckler cows and their calves with yearling bullocks and heifers? Cows won’t be going to the bull and it would be handier to only have the one grazing group? Or would cows bulking drive the yearlings mad causing loss of thrive?
    I do this every year with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I have some to castrate. Will have to get it done surgically as organic. The american cowboys call them prairie oysters, not to be confused with the drink cocktail.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=prairie%20oyster

My vet and I agree that banding is actually is the least discomforting on the animal, but the rules.

Water John wrote: »
    I have some to castrate. Will have to get it done surgically as organic. The american cowboys call them prairie oysters, not to be confused with the drink cocktail.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=prairie%20oyster

My vet and I agree that banding is actually is the least discomforting on the animal, but the rules.
    Actually banding is considered to have the most prolonged period of pain. We considered it here but we decided against it on those grounds.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/the-pros-and-cons-of-the-different-castration-methods-for-bulls/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Did it two years and quite happy with it.

• Advertisement

I was in tesco tonight. Massive queue to get in. Noticeably alot of keelings products left on the shelves

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement