Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Who the feck do they think, picks their satsumas in Spain? Keelings and the Dept that issued permits didn't get it quite right but I don't see a rush of applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was in tesco tonight. Massive queue to get in. Noticeably alot of keelings products left on the shelves

That’s just terrible.

The general public really have no clue. They’d rather the fruit rot and a company go bankrupt. Amd then give out about lazy farmers producing nothing and everything needing to be imported.

If we paid the wager Irish people wanted to do fruit picking work a punnet of strawberries would be about €15 !

Not really, probably a few cent per punnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s just terrible.

The general public really have no clue. They’d rather the fruit rot and a company go bankrupt. Amd then give out about lazy farmers producing nothing and everything needing to be imported.

If we paid the wager Irish people wanted to do fruit picking work a punnet of strawberries would be about €15 !
    Keelings are my neighbours (at home) and over the years they have found it nearly impossible to get local people to work for them picking fruit. There was a time when people living in Swords and the surrounding areas would work during the Summer months picking soft fruit, veg and apples for them and other producers. That day is long gone.

I heard on the radio yesterday that Latvian and Polish people used to come to work for the Summer in Ireland but now that their economies have flourished they now get Bulgarian and Romanian workers in to pick their soft fruit and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Just pricing a fencing job for at home at the minute i came back at €0.73/m before labour and post driver hire with rough figures just wondering does it sound anyway right to ye guys?
    Thanks in advance, workings shown in the photo.

Edit: price per post could be wrong as i couldnt find out how much stakes per pallet but from a rough count of the picture on the glanbia website it looks to be 225 stakes/pallet
    510172.jpg

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Never had much success with gripples, I prefer straining with a ratchet type, that way if a wire is loose a vice grip or even a Leatherman can be used to re-tighten it in future.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Most of the Sunday newspapers have it that FF and FG have now agreed to hold a referendum ASAP to take away your property rights capping the value of your land at 25% above current market value

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Last day of the kids Easter holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Are they looking forward to going back?

Are they looking forward to going back?

Tbh youngest lad just wants to get back to his friends, back to some sort of normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    Tbh youngest lad just wants to get back to his friends, back to some sort of normality.

Is there talk of school reopening 1 day a week

Is there talk of school reopening 1 day a week
    Ye I dont know how that will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Most of the Sunday newspapers have it that FF and FG have now agreed to hold a referendum ASAP to take away your property rights capping the value of your land at 25% above current market value

Current market value?

And if land prices rise it the future, is there going to be a change in market value?

And who decides what the market value is if the market isn't allowed to decide the market value?

Lawyers are going to have a few pension plans paid for out of this, I reckon:(

I presume they are referring to, farming market value. That land wouldn't multiply in value by being rezoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Water John wrote: »
    I presume they are referring to, farming market value. That land wouldn't multiply in value by being rezoned.

You know yourself, John, market values of farmland rises and falls depending on demand and projected prices of produce. If meat, crops and milk were to rise or fall in value in the future, the value of the land they are produced on will rise and fall to reflect that.

If that land is bordering a growing urban area and the farmer wants to sell and buy elsewhere, are his choices going to be limited by the cap they have placed on current values?

If the Government decides to build a new motorway or a new town, this going to limit their exposure to proper compensation to affected farmers for forced purchases, isn't it?

Current market value?

And if land prices rise it the future, is there going to be a change in market value?

And who decides what the market value is if the market isn't allowed to decide the market value?

Lawyers are going to have a few pension plans paid for out of this, I reckon:(

Tied to the agricultural value of the area at the time of the sale
    I mean is it a toss of a coin then if 2 or 3 farmers bid to the cap?
    The referendum would be to make that carry on constitutional
    But surely EU competition laws also come into play
    A lawyer's bonanza

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This is what the Greens meant by negotiations haven't finished yet but we're nearly there.

Mortelaro got there with the question I was going to ask about what happens when a few farmers or business people bid to the cap.
    Will the farmer or business person be prioritised or will it be adjoining land owners prioritised.
    Ha! ..we've become France..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What is the reason for the 25% - is it only in the event of a compulsory purchase?

If so, what’s the idea behind it?

Is there a lot of farmland bought by CPO at present?
    I thought the greens were against any new motorways, and were all about public transport, so not sure where CPOs come into play there?

Greens would be delighted as no farmer would sell a site for 5 or 10k
    Apart from sons or daughters it will end ribbon development

Indeed, may be chasing the wrong issue. It seems there's plenty land zoned and controlled by the LA and private developers to solve the housing issue.
    We know a semi D or terrace house can be built for €210K, excl site and services.

IWT there would also have to be a differentiation between CPO for infrastructure and housing. One is a forced sale. But maybe their considering CPO for housing?
    A better Minister for Housing might be a simpler option. Murphy's poor.

• Advertisement

What is the reason for the 25% - is it only in the event of a compulsory purchase?

If so, what’s the idea behind it?

Is there a lot of farmland bought by CPO at present?
    I thought the greens were against any new motorways, and were all about public transport, so not sure where CPOs come into play there?

The 1973 kenny report
    That's where the 25% figure comes from...

files.nesc.ie › nesc_reportsPDF
    Housing Supply and Land - National Economic & Social Council

Copy and paste that into your browser

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

This is what the Greens meant by negotiations haven't finished yet but we're nearly there.

Mortelaro got there with the question I was going to ask about what happens when a few farmers or business people bid to the cap.
    Will the farmer or business person be prioritised or will it be adjoining land owners prioritised.
    Ha! ..we've become France..

I don't agree with it but it would make farmland more affordable for the genuine farmer. All the nice places are snapped up by the guys with the windfall money.

Long long time since the price of farmland reflected the profit of what it could produce.

straight wrote: »
    I don't agree with it but it would make farmland more affordable for the genuine farmer. All the nice places are snapped up by the guys with the windfall money.

If it fell that way like France I'd be in favour.

You only have to look to New Zealand where it was unregulated free market where the model was to build up the holding and then sell it for your retirement. Grand if everyone does the same. Not grand when Chinese investors are the highest bidder with no intentions of selling in the future.

Bit like here and Coolmore.

straight wrote: »

Guess what Round my area land is 14k to 20k an acre...
    Only justifiable if the plan is the grand children finish off the loan

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

My uncle was onto me today to look at an issue in his area. A neighbour of his who was reclaiming land he had bought about 5 or 6 years ago, knocked a ditch and make a roadway of about 60 meters to the public road through what he thinks is about a half acre of commaonage! He they proceeded to reclaim the half acre.
    Now my uncle cant 100% gaurentee it is commonage, but he and his other neighbour always had it in their heads that it was.
    How can i find this out? And if it is /was commonage, can it be bought by an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The first step would be land direct.ie to buy the folio and maps

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

ganmo wrote: »
    The first step would be land direct.ie to buy the folio and maps

I'll investigate that tomorrow. Any idea how much the maps cost?

I'll investigate that tomorrow. Any idea how much the maps cost?

€25 I think. It's around that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Mortelaro wrote: »

Why in God's name are FF/FG proposing that? It's more like a SF/PBP policy.

Would be pretty sure a referendum like that would be lost.

The free market is the best judge of what market value is for land - and most other things for that matter. If buyer and seller agree on a price as happens in every transaction that should determine the matter. Otherwise the cap is only transferring value from the seller to the buyer and why should the State favour one over the other?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement