Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Tileman wrote: »
    I can’t find the glas thread. Last week it was announced by minister creed that the glas payment were to be paid last week. Any one get paid? Haven’t received any yet and it’s not coming up on amounts due .

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057581994&page=43

We got paid our remainder on the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Paid here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Water John wrote: »
    Paid here too.

May ring in the morning so or else I’m held for an inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I haven't got anything yet either and no sign on Agfood, so you are not alone!
    Hope to God there will be no inspection - had one of those last autumn. There wasn't much wrong but I expect to be docked a few euro, my planner didn't think it would be a lot. It was a misunderstanding on my part that the riverside had to have the fence along it not just have the river fenced off (I'd cut a corner of a few metres because the ground was impossible to sink posts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Anyone ever hear of quads with sprayers being hired out on a weekly basis? Would like to hire one out and do the whole farm in obe shot if i could. Akso whats the kegalities of quads on roads here?

Afaik they're not allowed on the roads unless their "road legal" ie registered, taxed, and have indicators.

You'd want to be mad to be spraying with one, you're very exposed to the spray, I know a lad who was very sick lately after doing some knapsack work with Grazon.
    Never heard of hiring them, too dangerous znd there's would be insurance issues I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Many on here sell cattle on donedeal? Is there genuine buyers on donedeal or mainly messers??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

straight wrote: »
    Wouldn't you just love one now though

Had the odd one here and there over the year and have no real desire for one ever and generally regret having them, i definitly will never go back on them full time ever, i used the allen carr method and the few things constantly in the back of my mind are:
    1. Dirty rotten bastards of things
    2. Nearly suffocating each morning from.coughing
    3. Money and time wasted while smoking

Did ye know it takes more effort to smoke a fag than not smoke one? Think about it that way too.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Had the odd one here and there over the year and have no real desire for one ever and generally regret having them, i definitly will never go back on them full time ever, i used the allen carr method and the few things constantly in the back of my mind are:
    1. Dirty rotten bastards of things
    2. Nearly suffocating each morning from.coughing
    3. Money and time wasted while smoking

Did ye know it takes more effort to smoke a fag than not smoke one? Think about it that way too.

Yea I have them up 4 years now when my child was born . Feel great and don’t miss then at all. Do a 5 km run a few times a week.

Still think of then the odd time in a pub though but would never go back now.

• Advertisement

Afaik they're not allowed on the roads unless their "road legal" ie registered, taxed, and have indicators.

You'd want to be mad to be spraying with one, you're very exposed to the spray, I know a lad who was very sick lately after doing some knapsack work with Grazon.
    Never heard of hiring them, too dangerous znd there's would be insurance issues I'd imagine.

It would be similar to spraying with a knapsack i would imagine? Id try be fairly H+S conscious at mist things but definitly spraying id be on the ball at that.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

I'm spot spraying grazon with the quad all week. Feeling fine so far.

Tileman wrote: »
    Yea I have them up 4 years now when my child was born . Feel great and don’t miss then at all. Do a 5 km run a few times a week.

Still think of then the odd time in a pub though but would never go back now.

I went to the seminar on a saturday was sitting in a smoking area the monday evening, was rooting for a work shirt tuesday morning the smell a the shirt after being in the smoking area i nearly threw it out.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Odelay wrote: »
    I remember someone (on F&F) posting a video a couple of years ago about this lady. The video was in the Winter and it was wet pissy weather. I didn't realise that they made more videos. She's a breath of fresh air although I'd like to kick the son (who makes the videos) around the place.

Anyone ever hear of quads with sprayers being hired out on a weekly basis? Would like to hire one out and do the whole farm in obe shot if i could. Akso whats the kegalities of quads on roads here?
    Technically you need a ticket to operate sprayers be them commercial or hand held. I paid €350 a few years ago to do a 3 day course to get a hand held sprayer ticket. At the time we were told that it was compulsory :(

To date I've never been asked to show the ticket nor my herd number when purchasing herbicides. I buy a 20ltr drum of Roundup/Gallup etc every other year to do a bit of spot spraying around the yard and docks/thistles/creeping nettles on the LIPP. Since the legislation is still in place I wonder how it would impact on the person leasing out the quad if the lessee became ill? TBH your better off getting in a contractor to spray and it's up to them to ensure that they have complied with the rules and regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

600 litres of kerosene for 235 euro. Some drop in price

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Damn that’s cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

whelan2 wrote: »
    600 litres of kerosene for 235 euro. Some drop in price

Got 1000 liters for 360 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Topped up the parents last week. 700 litres for 270

Whelan, did you get scallion seeds? I just got a text off the guy in Mohill Homeland, they got seed in today (no seed potatoes before anyone asks) and if you're still looking I can send some to you.
    Same goes for anyone looking for seed, can tell him to put buy stuff for me tomorrow, just send me a message if you're looking for veg seed & I'll see if they have it.

• Advertisement

Whelan, did you get scallion seeds? I just got a text off the guy in Mohill Homeland, they got seed in today (no seed potatoes before anyone asks) and if you're still looking I can send some to you.
    Same goes for anyone looking for seed, can tell him to put buy stuff for me tomorrow, just send me a message if you're looking for veg seed & I'll see if they have it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

emaherx wrote: »
    Got 1000 liters for 360 yesterday.

At that price it takes a lot of the enthusiasm out of sawing up sticks for the stove, very easy to flick a switch rather than days cutting splitting and dragging sticks and I've a heap of them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm after pulling muscles in my neck and shoulder. It involved a sprong and raking through hot char in the kiln. But anyway turning my head to the right is painful atm. So I tried turning my head to the left when on the tractor reversing and looking behind. I can't do that either it's not painful it's just stiff must be from lack of use.
    I must have always never ever turned to the left. I never do it in the car either just look in the mirrors.
    I'm right handed. Do left handed people turn to the left to look around on a tractor or are we as a species incapable of turning to the left and reversing a tractor at the same time?

:confused:

Just did the vat reclaim for my new shed online. It was very pain free.

I'm after pulling muscles in my neck and shoulder. It involved a sprong and raking through hot char in the kiln. But anyway turning my head to the right is painful atm. So I tried turning my head to the left when on the tractor reversing and looking behind. I can't do that either it's not painful it's just stiff must be from lack of use.
    I must have always never ever turned to the left. I never do it in the car either just look in the mirrors.
    I'm right handed. Do left handed people turn to the left to look around on a tractor or are we as a species incapable of turning to the left and reversing a tractor at the same time?

I think turning to the right was probably due to the location of hydraulic leavers on older tractors. Think of a 135/165 etc i.e on the right hand side beside the seat so it was easier to turn to the right when adjusting the lift so you could look out the back. Also when ploughing the handling for adjusting the lift arm was on the right hand side of the tractor, iykwim. I find it nearly impossible to use the hedge cutter for any longer than a half an hour as my neck/back gets awfully stiff looking over my left shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

At that price it takes a lot of the enthusiasm out of sawing up sticks for the stove, very easy to flick a switch rather than days cutting splitting and dragging sticks and I've a heap of them to do.

I didn't even need the kero and hopefully won't till October but at that price I couldn't not order it. Actually only went in to fill Jeep and get tractor Diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Ah shir if you were using a pike it would have been fine :p but yeah even scraping the yard or any job where you use one particular side doing it with the other seems out of sorts

Mooooo wrote: »
    Ah shir if you were using a pike it would have been fine :p but yeah even scraping the yard or any job where you use one particular side doing it with the other seems out of sorts

I nearly always lead with my left hand for farm work with forks/scraper etc. Comes from watching a left handed Daddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    I think turning to the right was probably due to the location of hydraulic leavers on older tractors. Think of a 135/165 etc i.e on the right hand side beside the seat so it was easier to turn to the right when adjusting the lift so you could look out the back. Also when ploughing the handling for adjusting the lift arm was on the right hand side of the tractor, iykwim. I find it nearly impossible to use the hedge cutter for any longer than a half an hour as my neck/back gets awfully stiff looking over my left shoulder.

I'm very awkward with the quad for that reason. I can't look over my right shoulder because of having to keep my right hand on the throttle, and too stiff to look over the left shoulder. I don't drive it much anyway, it's OH's toy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

When using a machine like hedge cutter which is at one side, try sitting sideways in the seat. Face the workplace directly and use your peripheral vision for the steering. Get used to moving your eyes to check the straight ahead position without moving your head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement