Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I nearly always lead with my left hand for farm work with forks/scraper etc. Comes from watching a left handed Daddy!

Led with my citog side with the sprong all along, had the grandfather tormented as a child with it as it wasnt the right way of doing things.....

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Led with my citog side with the sprong all along, had the grandfather tormented as a child with it as it wasnt the right way of doing things.....

Would lead with the left here as well, but am right handed.
    Was always told I was doing it the wrong way, but to put the right hand lower seemed more awkward for me somehow...

But I pose I’d be awkward enough both ways to be fair... :)

Was always told I was doing it the wrong way, but to put the right hand lower seemed more awkward for me somehow...

Left hand on the top and right hand at the bottom is the way i work now and i cant remember changing over at anytime in the past. Dont get me started on tbe amount of time wasted trying to get me to swing a hurl the "right" way too, had the breeding and thickness to be great but i was an absolute waster for not using it i was told in the past few years.... thank god for Football and Rugby.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Right handed. Left legged. Hold the fork in right hand and knife in left hand but switch the knife to right hand when buttering or cutting bread. And I have never drank tea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Left hand , right mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

If he had ever worked with someone doing .manual labour like piking or shovelling you would have learned to do it either way . Every load he would insist on swapping sides. His reasoning was that it would make my body develop more evenly. His right hip wore out prematurely, he blamed working on one side too much in his lifetime.

If he had ever worked with someone doing .manual labour like piking or shovelling you would have learned to do it either way . Every load he would insist on swapping sides. His reasoning was that it would make my body develop more evenly. His right hip wore out prematurely, he blamed working on one side too much in his lifetime.

I reckon one side being beat will be a big issue in years to come from all these rotary parlours going in.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Sports like road bowling and tossing the sheaf gave some fellows back problems as the muscles were much stronger on one side than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Great to see nutcases thriving among us.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1612798628867653/?ref=share

Probably made private now.

End the lockdown Facebook group is gas.

I’ve been flicking through posts and they really are a “special” bunch.

I’m not sure which is my favourite whacky idea:

1, by de registering of the voting register you are breaking your contract with the country and so “they” can not enforce the laws into you any more. If we can get 51% of people to de register then “the whole system collapses”

2. COVID19 stands for certification of vaccine identification, a process to force vaccines into people started by governments in 2019

3. Tesco, Lidl, Aldi amd all supermarket workers don’t get Covid19 because it’s not real

4. Yes, 5g causes Covid19!, “it breaks down your immune system causing the virus”

5. The vaccine won’t be a vaccine, it will be a subdermal chip implanted to track your movements and control your thoughts.

Man these are a special group of whack jobs.

Because it’s Facebook it shows you who is in the group from your local area and I know a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »
    Great to see nutcases thriving among us.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1612798628867653/?ref=share

Probably made private now.

End the lockdown Facebook group is gas.

I’ve been flicking through posts and they really are a “special” bunch.

I’m not sure which is my favourite whacky idea:

1, by de registering of the voting register you are breaking your contract with the country and so “they” can not enforce the laws into you any more. If we can get 51% of people to de register then “the whole system collapses”

2. COVID19 stands for certification of vaccine identification, a process to force vaccines into people started by governments in 2019

3. Tesco, Lidl, Aldi amd all supermarket workers don’t get Covid19 because it’s not real

4. Yes, 5g causes Covid19!, “it breaks down your immune system causing the virus”

5. The vaccine won’t be a vaccine, it will be a subdermal chip implanted to track your movements and control your thoughts.

Man these are a special group of whack jobs.

Because it’s Facebook it shows you who is in the group from your local area and I know a few of them.

Yes, total loons...... It's obvious they are making us stay home while they fix the glitch in the Matrix. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes, total loons...... It's obvious they are making us stay home while they fix the glitch in the Matrix. :D

Nonsense. While we're all inside they're replacing all the batteries in the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Nonsense. While we're all inside they're replacing all the batteries in the birds.

It's no crazier than the 5G claims. Especially since 5G here is using the same radio spectrum that our old analog TV did for nearly 70 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Finally raining here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I nearly always lead with my left hand for farm work with forks/scraper etc. Comes from watching a left handed Daddy!

I am also 'left handed' with brushes/forks/spades. Only worked out there was something wrong when I was using a spade that was missing one of the shoulders that you put your foot on to push it into the ground. Couldn't figure how my mother was able to use this particular spade and I couldn't. I had to twist my leg around the handle and was shocking awkward.
    My father had a left handed turf spade that no-one else (except me!) could use. I am right handed in everything else I do. Even down to feeding my goat kid with a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

KatyMac wrote: »
    I am also 'left handed' with brushes/forks/spades. Only worked out there was something wrong when I was using a spade that was missing one of the shoulders that you put your foot on to push it into the ground. Couldn't figure how my mother was able to use this particular spade and I couldn't. I had to twist my leg around the handle and was shocking awkward.
    My father had a left handed turf spade that no-one else (except me!) could use. I am right handed in everything else I do. Even down to feeding my goat kid with a bottle!

We've a left footed loy so that probably exacerbates my 'condition' :D I always thought it was normal to switch between left & right leading hands so it wasn't until someone was watching me much out a stable that I was questioned on it.

It's finally raining here now, my lime & fert can be washed in at last! Of course the battery fence wasn't carrying a shock on the outfarm this morning so I've to go walk that now and see where it's losing the spark. I've a fair idea where it might have been pushed into a barbed wire bit so hopefully easily rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Young lad took stones out of the river yesterday. Painted them and made his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

First time heifer, started calving today. I was watching but went away for 10 minutes. Came back and she looked like she calved with the cleaning sticking out. Brought her in to check and calf’s leg was back so I straightened it.

Just finished a section about 4 hours later. Beautiful heifer calf dead.... where you’ve livestock, you’ve dead stock.

She was one of the speckle parks I bought last year. Disappointed but life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

straight wrote: »
    I'm spot spraying grazon with the quad all week. Feeling fine so far.

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

First time heifer, started calving today. I was watching but went away for 10 minutes. Came back and she looked like she calved with the cleaning sticking out. Brought her in to check and calf’s leg was back so I straightened it.

Just finished a section about 4 hours later. Beautiful heifer calf dead.... where you’ve livestock, you’ve dead stock.

She was one of the speckle parks I bought last year. Disappointed but life.

As annoying as it is
    Remember, better outside than inside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

As annoying as it is
    Remember, better outside than inside

Fact. Came in the door and my 2yo boy gave me the biggest hug as he hadn’t seen me all day. And it’s my first section in about 6 years. Hopefully last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Fact. Came in the door and my 2yo boy gave me the biggest hug as he hadn’t seen me all day. And it’s my first section in about 6 years. Hopefully last.

I get the same coming home from duty. Young lad mad to see me. An hour later he doesn't want to know me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Reggie. wrote: »
    I get the same coming home from duty. Young lad mad to see me. An hour later he doesn't want to know me :rolleyes:

ive had my little lad full time since the start of the restrictions. Hard going when im working from home also but its great to spend so much time with him.

Anyone any ideas what to use to mark black buckets? Was thinking tipex but i dont reckon that would last and i dont really want dried tipex getting mixed through the milk replacee either.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone any ideas what to use to mark black buckets? Was thinking tipex but i dont reckon that would last and i dont really want dried tipex getting mixed through the milk replacee either.

There are white permanent markers
    Probably have to order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

On some new machines you would see them marked with white writing 540 box etc. What type of marker paint is this because it never seems to fade

cute geoge wrote: »
    On some new machines you would see them marked with white writing 540 box etc. What type of marker paint is this because it never seems to fade

Asked a parts store today none in stock will keep looking around and online for them.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

Tis May eve lads and ladies. Get out the holy water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This might interest some of you, a chance to win a David Brown tractor.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1255879084036558849?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭kk.man

Stick something on the handle....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement