Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I took a chance and bought a BA heifer calf off a local dairy man to foster to the heifer. She is letting her suck in the gate with little effort. No pucking. So fingers crossed.
    Look after her, that should be a great suckler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I see some tourist today driving on the road with a self propelled sprayer with a yellow reg.

How in the name of Jehovah are the authorities letting these yokes off the boat into the country?:confused:

There's a few yellow reg sprayers driving around here for years, along with combines they wouldn't be high on the priority list as regards reg numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a few yellow reg sprayers driving around here for years, along with combines they wouldn't be high on the priority list as regards reg numbers

It's the same all over the country.
    Now if they were at Courtown atm there'd be a Joe Duffy show about it.

You'd nearly feel sorry for the honest to goodness Irishman driving a yellow reg passat or toureg in these uncertain times..
    The amount of abuse they must be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Just heard a neighbour had an arm taken off in turf machine accident today, I'm sure there are more horrific injuries too as it was supposed to be a PTO accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

whelan2 wrote: »
    Coronation street was tough viewing tonight

Take a hour out of your day during the week round 3 o'clock on itv 3 and watch classic coronation Street. doublebill. will do you good.

go on , you are your own boss aren't you !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Patsy, she was probably a write off on the front and or the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

ruwithme wrote: »
    Take a hour out of your day during the week round 3 o'clock on itv 3 and watch classic coronation Street. doublebill. will do you good.

go on , you are your own boss aren't you !

Sky 119 - 2:45 pm
    Sky 219 - 3:45 pm

The current series is sadly lacking in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »
    Just heard a neighbour had an arm taken off in turf machine accident today, I'm sure there are more horrific injuries too as it was supposed to be a PTO accident.

God bless him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

God bless him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Grueller wrote: »
    God bless him

It'll be a long recovery if he survives, a PTO takes off an arm very different to the tidy way a surgeon takes it off.
    He did any digger work that was done here since 1980 so he's nearly as old as I am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

It'll be a long recovery if he survives, a PTO takes off an arm very different to the tidy way a surgeon takes it off.
    He did any digger work that was done here since 1980 so he's nearly as old as I am

Horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

So important to keep your mobile with you at all times. I'll keep saying it.............

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Clear herd test....the relief:D

Also sold my three purebred bulls...if only the pubs were open.

So important to keep your mobile with you at all times. I'll keep saying it.............

And a functioning pto cover!!

These swipe screens wouldn't be the easiest work when in an accident. The buttons were a lot faster and surer.

I had a health and safety inspector call here unannounced for an inspection. They were calling to every farm for input to their database.
    As well as the inspection the accounts he gave of all the cases he had to deal with. From the ridiculous to the ones you'd never think of happening and then the aftermath.
    We don't like talking about other people in this country but if everyone got that talk from their inspection it'd crown a lot of farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Water John wrote: »
    I'd say much of the Dark Side around May Day disappeared in the 1950s. Before that their was a real fear of certain phiseogs. Stealing the cream of the milk or preventing the cream from churning to butter, would be the lesser ones. Some real evil stuff, putting bad luck on families etc.
    I wonder did the RC church instigate the dedication of the Month of May to the Virgin Mary to counteract the pagan customs, esp around fertility, as in the Buford link.
    I never heard of the May bush in Cork.

Seems to an east coast thing, probably came from the Sassanach...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

These swipe screens wouldn't be the easiest work when in an accident. The buttons were a lot faster and surer.

I had a health and safety inspector call here unannounced for an inspection. They were calling to every farm for input to their database.
    As well as the inspection the accounts he gave of all the cases he had to deal with. From the ridiculous to the ones you'd never think of happening and then the aftermath.
    We don't like talking about other people in this country but if everyone got that talk from their inspection it'd crown a lot of farmers.

I have a shortcut to 3 family members numbers on my home screen, also my sons number shows as an ice number on the lock screen.

Only takes a minute or two to set up.

orm0nd wrote: »
    I have a shortcut to 3 family members numbers on my home screen, also my sons number shows as an ice number on the lock screen.

Only takes a minute or two to set up.

I can't set that up on my phone. There's room for apps and whatnot on the homescreen but no ph numbers.

The ole boy here has a flip phone with buttons and speed dial on the buttons.

Edit: Scrap that I went a different route instead of the wallpapers on the home screen. I swiped over to widgets. And I'm able to have 3 phone numbers on one of those for speed dialling.
    Thank you. Ormond.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

I can't set that up on my phone. There's room for apps and whatnot on the homescreen but no ph numbers.

The ole boy here has a flip phone with buttons and speed dial on the buttons.

Edit: Scrap that I went a different route instead of the wallpapers on the home screen. I swiped over to widgets. And I'm able to have 3 phone numbers on one of those for speed dialling.
    Thank you. Ormond.

There is an app called ICE That puts your emergency contact on the home screen.

Seems to an east coast thing, probably came from the Sassanach...

The Normans landed here in Ireland on the 1st May 1169. Bannow Bay, south Wexford.
    Could be a commemoration or custom brought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

emaherx wrote: »
    There is an app called ICE That puts your emergency contact on the home screen.

if you're using a screen lock you need to have an ice number on your lock screen

not much good having on home screen if you are found unconscious and your phone locked.

orm0nd wrote: »
    if you're using a screen lock you need to have an ice number on your lock screen

not much good having on home screen if you are found unconscious and your phone locked.

Sorry meant lock screen :D

emaherx wrote: »
    Sorry meant lock screen :D

49846680007_8c1208a61a_c.jpgScreenshot_20200502-171849 by Emaherx, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

It sounds harsh at at time like that when some one has suffered a life changing injury but you're spot on.

I remember this coming up on a forum (posibly here); some one wrote that some farmers can't afford new covers etc: Ask any of them that have lost a limb or have had to take a year off over an accident to put a price on it then.

Teagasc made a few "Survivor Stories", they'd make your teeth itch thinking about them. Fair play to the ones that contributed, couldn't have been easy to relive it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LB2e_tZriE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6HeGlk7Qjk&t=8s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7JjINN1NQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5l1hzWO--o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Suckler wrote: »
    It sounds harsh at at time like that when some one has suffered a life changing injury but you're spot on.

I remember this coming up on a forum (posibly here); some one wrote that some farmers can't afford new covers etc: Ask any of them that have lost a limb or have had to take a year off over an accident to put a price on it then.

Teagasc made a few "Survivor Stories", they'd make your teeth itch thinking about them. Fair play to the ones that contributed, couldn't have been easy to relive it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LB2e_tZriE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6HeGlk7Qjk&t=8s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7JjINN1NQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5l1hzWO--o
    It was here alright, penny wise and pound foolish:(

Suckler wrote: »

The safety inspector here was hounding me on pto shafts and covers to look at. And then handbrakes on tractors.
    The first thing he looked at was the electricity breaker box in the parlour though.

His job was that the guards called him when there's a farm accident in the southeast and he'd be there straight away as soon as the emergency responders.
    He'd make an assessment and what caused the accident and how modifications could be made if any. On his recommendations machinery makers have had to change the design of machines.
    It was the most interesting if not a bit gruesome talk I've had with anyone.
    He has common sense too and knows that not all accidents are accidents and deaths can be self intentional on farms but they still are classed as accidents.
    He's never welcomed on a farm but he was the soundest man I've talked to in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do ICE numbers work if you have no coverage. Had a safety inspection last year. His main job is to point out things you mightnt see. A pto cover or u guard is a major fault and requires a photo of it fixed it a revisit. They are not going to fine you and the lad that was here was sound out.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do ICE numbers work if you have no coverage. Had a safety inspection last year. His main job is to point out things you mightnt see. A pto cover or u guard is a major fault and requires a photo of it fixed it a revisit. They are not going to fine you and the lad that was here was sound out.

Your own ICE numbers? No they require coverage from your network. But 112 and 999 numbers should work on any available network even if you are out of contract.

One thing that annoyed me about the safety inspection was he came in February, I put him off. I had enough going on surely February and March should be months when they don't inspect.

• Advertisement

Got a takeaway for my parents from their favourite restaurant this evening. When I dropped it off they had dressed up to have it. God it's the little things like them being able to go out for their tea etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement