Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, big changes in temperature can cause Pnuemonia alrite. What age are they?
    I see weather forecasters are predicting very cold northerly winds for this weekend after very warm weather on Thursday. They're talking about wintery showers, possibly some snow. Strange weather at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, big changes in temperature can cause Pnuemonia alrite. What age are they?
    I see weather forecasters are predicting very cold northerly winds for this weekend after very warm weather on Thursday. They're talking about wintery showers, possibly some snow. Strange weather at the moment.

They are Feb and March born so they are strong enough but obviously got a chill. They seem to be doing okay now though. Both up and sucking this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thinking of mixing white and black silage wrap to try deter crows. Has anyone any experience? Have heard stories that it might effect the quality but not sure. Or should I just paint them?

We used green wrap first time here this year and think it’s not as good quality as black wrap.
    Wouldn’t be using anything but black wrap here going forward.

Paint on top of bales seems very successful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Boards seems to have speeded up again thank fook. Was pretty much unusable for me over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »
    We used green wrap first time here this year and think it’s not as good quality as black wrap.

I've never painted the bales and have no issues. Think I'd do more damage climbing all over them to paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

emaherx wrote: »
    I've never painted the bales and have no issues. Think I'd do more damage climbing all over them to paint.

We paint left over bales so we know which ones to use up first
    Teagasc did look into green vs black for crow damage and found no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Boards seems to have speeded up again thank fook. Was pretty much unusable for me over the weekend.

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

_Brian wrote: »

Always paint eyes on the bales it does work

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Parishlad wrote: »
    Have had two calves with pneumonia over the weekend. Vet reckons it’s the weather. Very warm days and chilly nights. Both seem to be responding to whatever the vet gave them so fingers crossed.

Lost one yesterday. Was a bad fr bull calf I left on a cow that hurt her leg at calving. He was going fine until yesterday. He went downhill very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

emaherx wrote: »

Depends where you are. On the home farm here I never look at the bales. They are never painted or even covered. On the out farm when I am drawing the bales home I have to bring the gun in the cab of the tractor to shoot a couple of crows and hang them. If not the bales will be destroyed by the time I get back for the second load. I have actually gone back to wrapping in the yard for that very reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are there tress around the outside yard?
    Neighbour here was fed up of the crows cawing in the tree as he was mending something. Went down to the shed, brought up the chainsaw and knocked the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Water John wrote: »
    Neighbour here was fed up of the crows cawing in the tree as he was mending something. Went down to the shed, brought up the chainsaw and knocked the tree.

Somebody was having a bad day... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭straight

Crows would drive you to it alright. I like my trees though. I intend planting a few old irish oak, horse chestnut and sycamore around the place. Give the place some character.

Great to see Dave McBryan winning Mastermind. One of the family friendly with him, very nice guy.
    Anyone who likes a quiz, good fun for a family. Pat and Colm stream a quiz every Tuesday night for a charity. 50 or 60 questions with four answer options. One can watch and see how good you do without signing up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=469y9JQnybc

A few here might get irritated at the Cork accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Get some grease and a glove. Rub a small bit over the top of the bales. Once a bird gets grease on there feet they won't land on a bale again. We done this years and years ago and have no problems with birds since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Get some grease and a glove. Rub a small bit over the top of the bales. Once a bird gets grease on there feet they won't land on a bale again. We done this years and years ago and have no problems with birds since.

Has anyone ever rubbed grease on calf throughs for the same reason?

Better living everyone

Calves would probably end up covered in it! ^^

Top service as usual from Rathcormac Gun club for the GLAS WBC seeds, ordered their special mix yesterday and it's just arrived!!
    Also went for an extra wildflower mix to put through it & to spread around a bit of my 'garden'* here.

I do not have a garden, I have a wilderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Has anyone ever rubbed grease on calf throughs for the same reason?

Use calf nuts instead of coarse ration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Top service as usual from Rathcormac Gun club for the GLAS WBC seeds, ordered their special mix yesterday and it's just arrived!!
    Also went for an extra wildflower mix to put through it & to spread around a bit of my 'garden'* here.

Yea john is a lovely fella. Always a great service.

I love the wild flower spread through out the crop. I normally add a bag or 2 of it aswell. Didn’t this year though and will miss the colours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Gettin a lad to spray silage field. Plenty of docks and other weeds. He is goin to spray his own fields with a mixture of doxstar and Mortone.
    I didn't think you could mix them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

jimini0 wrote: »
    Gettin a lad to spray silage field. Plenty of docks and other weeds. He is goin to spray his own fields with a mixture of doxstar and Mortone.
    I didn't think you could mix them?

Don't know if you can of not but I would sooner get rid of the rushes first with the mortone. Around here if they are in a field they usually dominate over the other weeds. I think mortone will hit the docks a bit aswell but mightn't be a great spray to kill well.
    Maybe a sticking agent might be the better thing if you were going to mix anything with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Bullocks wrote: »
    Don't know if you can of not but I would sooner get rid of the rushes first with the mortone. Around here if they are in a field they usually dominate over the other weeds. I think mortone will hit the docks a bit aswell but mightn't be a great spray to kill well.
    Maybe a sticking agent might be the better thing if you were going to mix anything with it

This is the one and only field I don't have rushes in. So won't have to target those.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I do not have a garden, I have a wilderness.

If all those folks living in new built one offs in the countryside with vast sterile lawns did the same, it would make a huge contribution to stemming the decline in our native pollinators!!

LAs are looking at going more that way in relation to their public spaces and parks. Dublin is looking a only mowing once a year and planting and encouraging wider diversity of plants and flowers. The trend over time will be away from manicured lawns.
    Threw a bag of those annual flowers into the WBC mix last year, really lovely.
    Including more this year, about one kg per acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

LAs are looking at going more that way in relation to their public spaces and parks. Dublin is looking a only mowing once a year and planting and encouraging wider diversity of plants and flowers. The trend over time will be away from manicured lawns.
    Threw a bag of those annual flowers into the WBC mix last year, really lovely.
    Including more this year, about one kg per acre.

Yeah, Dublin CC is well ahead of the pack on this. I have a friend I visit out near Dun Laoghire and the local parks are a riot of natural colour, bumble bees etc. Wish the NRA would adopt a similar approach alone main roads/motorways as theres a signficant potential acerage of good habitat for wild flowers 1 meter back from the verges

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Birdnuts wrote: »
    If all those folks living in new built one offs in the countryside with vast sterile lawns did the same, it would make a huge contribution to stemming the decline in our native pollinators!!

For some reason Euro Giant store in Cavan town has remained open during the "lock down".
    I suppose it's too much to expect people do go without pubs AND cheap tat at the same time..
    But, they do sell large boxes of "bee friendly" wild flower mixture for 3.99.
    Bought two, because the Council remodelled the road verges along our land, and sowed grass seed on them, I'm going to get a bit of colour and variety going. :D

Nekar, you'll start a whole underground rewilding movement, like the graffitti artists.

Nekar, you'll start a whole underground rewilding movement, like the graffitti artists.

YARN BOMBING! But with flowers :D

cc28d37e8127b2b5470d360008fdd21c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I saw something about lads going around planting here there and everywhere in cities.
    Guerrilla gardening they were calling it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

YARN BOMBING! But with flowers :D

cc28d37e8127b2b5470d360008fdd21c.jpg

How did they get the knitting around the tree trunks? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement