Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Is there anywhere you can find out information on the cures, not the cure itself but cures in general? Only realised last night i had a cure done on me before unknownst to myself a few years back.

Theres a facebook group called cures and methods

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think all kids should go back to school hopefully in September were they left off in March. Might not be popular but I think it's the fairest. Leaving cert could be sat maybe in November and college start in January. Communion and confirmation could be done in the autumn too. Then kids move on to new class or year after Christmas

There are lots of ideas like that to work around our current examination system.

But trying to rush through a whole new system of predicting grades is opening up a whole new can of worms and in itself will cause significant stress to students and teachers.
    Many many kids, myself included back on the day cram for exams. These kids will be caught short now, not to mention the kids not on 100% terms with some of their teachers.

What they are suggesting or replacing one stressful situation with an alternative equally stressful situation.

And I don’t accept any rubbish about social distancing concerns. It’s scheduled to be well through the lockdown, if the state can’t organise sufficient systems in place with their essentially endless resources then the notion of society functioning with social distancing is a total farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just so you know, she probably did it anyway when you were out :P

I just find them very interesting, how our ancestors had such faith in these things & the roots of where they came into being.

Truth of it is wrangler has the cure of orf himself:pac:

_Brian wrote: »
    Decision on leaving cert seems to be heading towards predicted grades rather than exams.

By end of July we should be in phase 4 of the lockdown so the logistics of having kids milking about should be well understood.

I wonder what is the factor pushing this change ??

We have a ratio of about 1:1 teachers and leaving certificate students with ample schools across the country to host small groups of students.

Seems an odd decision to me.

I think it’s another example that areas of the crisis response managed under the professional team of Tony Holohan have been strong, but where the FG government make decisions without guidance it’s business as usual and it’s sub par decision making.
    Same way they are pushing to allow airlines refund with vouchers rather than cash - that’s putting airlines above citizens needs.

It's a choice between leaving airlines the money now or giving them that and a whole lot more in the near future to keep them from going bankrupt. There's a lot of airlines not going to recover from this unless they get a few skiploads of money from the taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Ploughing match of more specifically ploughing trade show exhibition is cancelled.

Not surprising. Are they keeping the door open for the actual ploughing behind closed doors?

• Advertisement

Would anyone know where to find the specs for water troughs in the Dept website where they have the recommended dimensions to minimise badger access to the troughs?

I had it bookmarked but can't find the link now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Would anyone know where to find the specs for water troughs in the Dept website where they have the recommended dimensions to minimise badger access to the troughs?

Would do a search history search work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Someone locally made covers for his troughs also keeps the sunlight out so stay cleaner he reckons. Regularly empties them as well has a small valve 2 inch made for the tanker to do em all in winter I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

This one?

Raising drinking and feeding troughs to over 84 cm (32 inches) in height and locating them away from walls/ditches to prevent access;

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I think all kids should go back to school hopefully in September were they left off in March. Might not be popular but I think it's the fairest. Leaving cert could be sat maybe in November and college start in January. Communion and confirmation could be done in the autumn too. Then kids move on to new class or year after Christmas

I agree.
    Children seem to be largely immune to the effects.
    "Social Distancing" as it currently is, cannot go on indefinitely.
    Likewise, this vague hope of "social distancing until a vaccine is found" is equally unrealistic.
    A vaccine may never be found, the virus could mutate and render a vaccine ineffective, it could take years to develop, or the companies might sell it all to Donald Trump first...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Children seem to be largely immune to the effects.

Leaving certs aren't that young to be immune to the effects. Plus they can be asymptomatic and spread the virus to those in their homes even though they may not suffer themselves.

Agree with everyone here about the grading idea. To me, it's crap. Plenty of space in schools now to put a few students in classrooms and a teacher too to supervise. I see no reason that can't be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Youngest lad just had a zoom chat with all his 6th class classmates and teachers. It was great for them to catch up with each other

This one?

Raising drinking and feeding troughs to over 84 cm (32 inches) in height and locating them away from walls/ditches to prevent access;

Spot on, thanks.

I don't care what they say about you:D

Spot on, thanks.

I don't care what they say about you:D

A good way to scare the badgers away too is to put up that picture of you with the beard next to the drinkers. Been working well here :D

A good way to scare the badgers away too is to put up that picture of you with the beard next to the drinkers. Been working well here :D

No hair left at all now, it was too hot out for the mountany man look:(

On the plus side, though, I did manage to fill a cushion with whatever was cut off:pac:

No hair left at all now, it was too hot out for the mountany man look:(

On the plus side, though, I did manage to fill a cushion with whatever was cut off:pac:

A mattress:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

What chainsaw would you recommend for light work like fencing and cutting some firewood? I wouldn't be knocking big tree's or using it every day. Most of it's use would be clearing brash out of the way during fencing so a nice handy light saw is a must, I don't want a heavy dog of a thing that I'll be killed carrying.

I have a cheap knock off brand saw that I bought new maybe 3 year's ago and it's done a fair bit of work and got lots of abuse. However the fuel tank has developed a leak and I'd say it's day is nearly done but it doesn't owe me much at this stage. It's a bit heavy and under powered so I'd be interested in spending a few hundred if I got a nice handy saw with a bit more power.

A neighbor has a Tanaka saw with a 14" bar (think the model number is 335 or similar) that I used for awhile recently and I was very impressed. It's a nice light saw with lots of power, we were clearing along a boundary fence and it flew threw everything we encountered. I wouldn't mind spending €300-400 if I got something that would last a few years and done the work outlined above.
    Oeleomac are very good quality at a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Ploughing match of more specifically ploughing trade show exhibition is cancelled.

Not surprising.

Realistically it was never going to happen, surprising thing was leaving it so long to make a call on it when all other large events in the country (GAA matches, concerts, music festivals, etc) were cancelled weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

5 cows gone down here this morning. Gutted. Things was just going to plan nicely with them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

GoneHome wrote: »
    Realistically it was never going to happen, surprising thing was leaving it so long to make a call on it when all other large events in the country (GAA matches, concerts, music festivals, etc) were cancelled weeks ago

I assume deposits have been paid on stands etc, if not full cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

390kid wrote: »
    5 cows gone down here this morning. Gutted. Things was just going to plan nicely with them

TB?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That’s tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I assume deposits have been paid on stands etc, if not full cost.

I'd imagine they'll surely have to refund everyone, if not Liveline will be busy next week

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    TB?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Yep

Sorry to hear that. It's an awful kick in the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Yep

Sorry to hear that. I heard there is a load of TB in Clare now. Where are you?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

What chainsaw would you recommend for light work like fencing and cutting some firewood? I wouldn't be knocking big tree's or using it every day. Most of it's use would be clearing brash out of the way during fencing so a nice handy light saw is a must, I don't want a heavy dog of a thing that I'll be killed carrying.

I have a cheap knock off brand saw that I bought new maybe 3 year's ago and it's done a fair bit of work and got lots of abuse. However the fuel tank has developed a leak and I'd say it's day is nearly done but it doesn't owe me much at this stage. It's a bit heavy and under powered so I'd be interested in spending a few hundred if I got a nice handy saw with a bit more power.

A neighbor has a Tanaka saw with a 14" bar (think the model number is 335 or similar) that I used for awhile recently and I was very impressed. It's a nice light saw with lots of power, we were clearing along a boundary fence and it flew threw everything we encountered. I wouldn't mind spending €300-400 if I got something that would last a few years and done the work outlined above.
    I got a wee husqvarna 236 saw 2 years ago to clean ground covered in whins and cutting back hedges. I can't fault the saw for light work it was handy money £120,vert easy to run and I have a lot of cutting done and never had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

This is the saw on todays cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There are lots of ideas like that to work around our current examination system.

But trying to rush through a whole new system of predicting grades is opening up a whole new can of worms and in itself will cause significant stress to students and teachers.
    Many many kids, myself included back on the day cram for exams. These kids will be caught short now, not to mention the kids not on 100% terms with some of their teachers.

What they are suggesting or replacing one stressful situation with an alternative equally stressful situation.

And I don’t accept any rubbish about social distancing concerns. It’s scheduled to be well through the lockdown, if the state can’t organise sufficient systems in place with their essentially endless resources then the notion of society functioning with social distancing is a total farce.

And those parents that think their little dotes are wonderful, god help any teacher that dares to grade them down , especially in a rural area.
    The solicitors are lining up already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Neighbour here, his lad is repeating the leaving, wants to do something with top points...
    Not sure what'll happen now... Needless to say he is a bit annoyed about the whole thing... :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement