Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sitting out on the decking there with glass of wine.
    Some amount of birds about, they’re in great song.
    Have heard what seems to be two separate cuckoos about and a pheasant, hadn’t had one of those for last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Doing our own darkness into light walk in the morning. Pieta house is a brilliant cause and hopefully people will still donate even though the main walk isnt going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

whelan2 wrote: »
    Doing our own darkness into light walk in the morning. Pieta house is a brilliant cause and hopefully people will still donate even though the main walk isnt going ahead.

Doin it here too. Goin to walk to to the highest hill in the area and watch the sun come up.

_Brian wrote: »
    There are lots of ideas like that to work around our current examination system.

But trying to rush through a whole new system of predicting grades is opening up a whole new can of worms and in itself will cause significant stress to students and teachers.
    Many many kids, myself included back on the day cram for exams. These kids will be caught short now, not to mention the kids not on 100% terms with some of their teachers.

What they are suggesting or replacing one stressful situation with an alternative equally stressful situation.

And I don’t accept any rubbish about social distancing concerns. It’s scheduled to be well through the lockdown, if the state can’t organise sufficient systems in place with their essentially endless resources then the notion of society functioning with social distancing is a total farce.

My partner is a secondary school teacher. I'm delighted the leaving has been axed, said it from day one either predict grades based on the mocks or offer repeat year. Colleges were even offering solutions. Time in school is preferable to time in the graveyard. I was incandescent that herself would be going back into school. Enough for me to contact the minister myself. There's no possibility of social distancing in a school. I resent that my family was to be treated like a science experiment. Teachers are not essential frontline staff. It's this bull**** "state exam" creed, here is an opportunity to change the system positively. "Exams" that might decide a young persons future are absurd. Advancement in anything is done showing merit over time, education should be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Sorry to hear that. I heard there is a load of TB in Clare now. Where are you?

I’m in cavan there saying there’s a bust of outbreaks in the are but we only heard of 2 and they wouldn’t be mareing us. Just hateful to see them going like that. 3 of them only calved the end of March

• Advertisement

Done. Was a good few out. Cup of tea now before milking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Beautiful photo. Looks like it will be a glorious day. I’m hoping to go at the veg patch today. And maybe make a strawberry planter. Depends on the gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Not like you to be up that early

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

blue5000 wrote: »
    This C19 cabin fever is getting to me. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a small apartment with 3 kids and 2 adults holed up for 6 weeks.

Mrs. blue is sorting through boxes of (her word) sh1te in the kitchen/on the patio/the landing/the office/the spare bedroom. I'm a bit of a hoarder so the whole thing is a bit stressful:o. Anyway we found a diesel delivery docket from only 20 years ago, 18p a litre INCL VAT.

Rant over, I'm off to continue a bit of ploughing and check if the cows broke out of the bird cover yet. Before the paint colour cards get pulled out. Thank God she's back to work tomorrow.

Another weekend of Mrs. b going through boxes in the sun. I found a foolscap pad from 1987:D thought I'd share this page for 16.9 14x30 tyre quotes. Lots of the places are no longer in business.

512262.jpg

I ended up driving to Borrisinossory for a pair of Goodyear cross ply tyres @ 210 punts each. Midland tyres are still going strong. But the tyres are a long time on the silage pit now:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

My partner is a secondary school teacher. I'm delighted the leaving has been axed, said it from day one either predict grades based on the mocks or offer repeat year. Colleges were even offering solutions. Time in school is preferable to time in the graveyard. I was incandescent that herself would be going back into school. Enough for me to contact the minister myself. There's no possibility of social distancing in a school. I resent that my family was to be treated like a science experiment. Teachers are not essential frontline staff. It's this bull**** "state exam" creed, here is an opportunity to change the system positively. "Exams" that might decide a young persons future are absurd. Advancement in anything is done showing merit over time, education should be no different.

In my mocks, i took extra sheets of paper in one test, looked up the tests online and brought in the essays or whatveer i wrote, the mocks are in no way representive of the real thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I did feck all for the mocks, knuckled down from then on & got just under 500. If I had applied myself I'd have been better off but if I was graded on what I did for mocks I'd be fcuked. Personally thing it's a very unfair outcome for some. Cramming works well for a large percentage of students, while others go the methodical route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Guys, a question. I see on a lot of the American FB groups the use of cattle panels in the gardens, I assume welded mesh panels. They normally bend them over to make an arch and seem to be 16'*4'.
    Can we get 16' ones over here? I've only seen 8'*4'.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Guys, a question. I see on a lot of the American FB groups the use of cattle panels in the gardens, I assume welded mesh panels. They normally bend them over to make an arch and seem to be 16'*4'.

Thanks.
    There's a company on Done deal (Samson fencing I think) selling rolls of 3mm galv weldmesh for making gabion baskets.
    I think the rolls are 25m x 900mm wide. Might suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I did feck all for the mocks, knuckled down from then on & got just under 500. If I had applied myself I'd have been better off but if I was graded on what I did for mocks I'd be fcuked. Personally thing it's a very unfair outcome for some. Cramming works well for a large percentage of students, while others go the methodical route.

Never got a great grade in Gaeilge the whole way along myself the teacher just marked me hard for some reason or other but i had a genuine interest in it and ended up with a B3 in higher level in tbe real thing. Im one of the few who did well in higher Gaeilge and average in ordinary level english for some reason.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

There was some talk of covering silage pits with the walls of lorry tyres but I can’t see them advert anywhere?

Never got a great grade in Gaeilge the whole way along myself the teacher just marked me hard for some reason or other but i had a genuine interest in it and ended up with a B3 in higher level in tbe real thing. Im one of the few who did well in higher Gaeilge and average in ordinary level english for some reason.

I was never an irish fan, learned off 5 A4 pages of a written essay instead of making one up on the spot. Think it put me off the language for life!
    Loved English though. Still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The only Irish memorised in my day was poetry. The idea of memorising an essay and regurgitating it is alien to me, although I know it is common nowadays. It reflects on the quality of teaching all through school imo, although there are exceptions obviously.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I was never an irish fan, learned off 5 A4 pages of a written essay instead of making one up on the spot. Think it put me off the language for life!

I hated Irish. I blame my Blueshirt father who hated Irish, the GAA and Fianna Fail in equal measures despite being from a family that had a long tradition in Irish politics and ancestors on both his parents side that were killed in '98.

Did the leaving in 1973 which was the first year you didn't have to pass it to get your Leaving Cert.

Often dodged the class in 6th. year

Made a bags of the oral - mixing up page 27 and 47.

Did about two thirds of a page in total in the actual exam and left after 30 minutes.

Got a D in Pass Irish in the end. Hmmm...

Did engineering so never needed it, and still have no time for the Irish Taliban crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Thanks.

I happened upon a guy selling 16x4 heavy weld mesh galvanised a few years ago, and bought the last dozen he had.

They were out of mushroom tunnels, and before most growers went to a shelving system, this mesh was laid down and the bags of compost placed upon them.

So if you tried Monaghan Mushroons, Harte Peat or Foxfield Mushrooms, you might get a lead to someone with an older tunnel who has ceased production.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

14 years studying it and hated it too. Maybe if they had a little less Peig and more of the likes of John Connolly's speech of 1980, people might get to love it more. Native speakers seem to speak a completely different language.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

14 years studying it and hated it too. Maybe if they had a little less Peig and more of the likes of John Connolly's speech of 1980, people might get to love it more. Native speakers seem to speak a completely different language.

The only Irish broadcaster I had any time for was the late Ciarán Mac Mathúna who had a programme on RTE on a Sunday morning called Mo Cheol Thú which he presented in a combination of Irish and English.

He had a lovely way of combining Irish and english, folklore, history and music with a total absence of the stridence and fanatacism of most Irish language presenters. I often thought that it was the way to present and garner a love for the language that is otherwise sadly lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I appreciate you’re biased with your partner being a teacher, but I think there has to be a point when they go back to work... they can’t stay at home forever...

I agree with Brian, that they could have put some system in place for just leaving cert classes.

And before you say it’s easy for me to talk, I am the only one of my family not a teacher. They were all willing to go back to school over the summer if needs be, and I agreed with them when we were talking about it...

Our primary school were always great for irish. I got a b in honours Irish in the leaving. It's still the same with my kids. The irish they are doing now is way easier than the peig stuff we had.

We never did Peig, did An Triail instead. Not exactly sunshine & lollipops either :pac: My problem was more a school issue than a specific one to do with Irish. Our class was so small we had foundation, Ord & higher in the one class so the teacher found it hard to cover us all in the class. And there were way more interesting things to do at home instead of study the modh coinníollach!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I happened upon a guy selling 16x4 heavy weld mesh galvanised a few years ago, and bought the last dozen he had.

They were out of mushroom tunnels, and before most growers went to a shelving system, this mesh was laid down and the bags of compost placed upon them.

So if you tried Monaghan Mushroons, Harte Peat or Foxfield Mushrooms, you might get a lead to someone with an older tunnel who has ceased production.

Thanks. That seems to be what I want
    I've got 8*4 in my local hardware store but haven't seen any bigger... Seems they do everything bigger in America :D

Youngest lad is 12 today. He was up at 5 and did the darkness into light walk this morning. Going like a Duracell bunny all day. No big party and none of his friends over. He got a tent as one of his presents and plans to sleep out tonight. Got a takeaway tea from his choice of place and got a takeaway from there for my parents too. The day he was born the weather was like today. Hospital was like a sauna.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Youngest lad is 12 today. He was up at 5 and did the darkness into light walk this morning. Going like a Duracell bunny all day. No big party and none of his friends over. He got a tent as one of his presents and plans to sleep out tonight. Got a takeaway tea from his choice of place and got a takeaway from there for my parents too. The day he was born the weather was like today. Hospital was like a sauna.

Tent is a class present.
    Will Have great fun with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Brilliant editorial in the Journal this week from Justin McCarthy.
    Brings all the threats to the sector together.
    They are many and prospects are perilous, with a no-deal Brexit getting likelier by the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

_Brian wrote: »
    Tent is a class present.
    Will Have great fun with that.

Whatever gets them outside. Our young lady got a metal detector as a present a while ago and has had so.e fun with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭Water John

At 12 a bit early to be dropping the hint that, he needs to find a place of his own. hope he's enjoying the extended break. Will be interesting to know how young people will remember this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement