Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Got into a tight spot myself today, I knew a quiet cow was due to calf (no such thing as a quiet cow at calving I know) so checked her after dinner, had calved into a drain, she was grand so I popped in to get the calf. She threw a few digs into me, more warnings than anything. So i jumped into some gorse bushes for cover, next thing all the cattle land over including the bull looking down at me. Lucky I had my phone, called the bro but he was a long time coming so broke a stick and got out with it. Bro came with Bag of nuts to get the cattle away and got calf out. Last calf of the year thank god. The joys of working

You were very lucky. Same thing happened me last year. I was down in the drain trying to get calf up the bank and the cow trying to kill me. Anyways gave up and went to neighbour to come and help. Didnt have my phone with me. He chased the cows away while I quickly got the calf out. Cow was quiet as a mouse after that. motherhood took over and tried to defend the calf from harm.
    Lesson learned always bring phone with me. No matter what I'm at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Vaccinating a share of calves yday and one of them got me in the knee when we were at it. Sore at the time but kept going milked away the cows it wasn't too bad finishing up yday. This morning a different story. I'd swear tis the medial ligament in the fecking thing. Pain in the arse, well knee, hobbling around the place. Busy weeks coming with silage slurry and breeding and still a share of young calves about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mooooo wrote: »
    Vaccinating a share of calves yday and one of them got me in the knee when we were at it. Sore at the time but kept going milked away the cows it wasn't too bad finishing up yday. This morning a different story. I'd swear tis the medial ligament in the fecking thing. Pain in the arse, well knee, hobbling around the place. Busy weeks coming with silage slurry and breeding and still a share of young calves about the place

I got similar years ago, a kick from a yearling, I hobbled around for the whole summer,
    When it was operated on it was a tiny little chip off the knee cap lodged in the knee itself.
    A support bandage is often a help, I'm wearing one of these even at the moment,

https://www.mcdaidpharmacy.ie/product/medicare-knee-brace-knee-braces-knee-support-brace-medicare-ireland/

it has straps on it so it can be good and tight, not like the elasticated, great for pain relief

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Rosahane wrote: »
    The only Irish broadcaster I had any time for was the late Ciarán Mac Mathúna who had a programme on RTE on a Sunday morning called Mo Cheol Thú which he presented in a combination of Irish and English.

He had a lovely way of combining Irish and english, folklore, history and music with a total absence of the stridence and fanatacism of most Irish language presenters. I often thought that it was the way to present and garner a love for the language that is otherwise sadly lacking.
    I always enjoyed waking up on a Sunday morning - dropping the hen/duck eggs into the saucespan, cutting the soda bread so it could fit into the toaster and listening to Ciarán Mac Mathúna on RTE1 radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I says wrote: »
    Irish is thought all wrong in schools I fcuking hated it with a passion, I still do. This scutter of using Donegal Irish in aural exams and trying to be to technical teaching it.
    If they were serious about reviving it make every school an Irish speaking one and be done with it.

So true - because of this I now have more French then Irish:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Any of ye good folks recommend me a coffee machine? I'm sick and tired of the instant stuff now

Bought a delongi bean to cup about 18 months ago. Can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I says wrote: »
    Irish is thought all wrong in schools I fcuking hated it with a passion, I still do. This scutter of using Donegal Irish in aural exams and trying to be to technical teaching it.
    If they were serious about reviving it make every school an Irish speaking one and be done with it.
    +1

Although I always loved listening to Ciarian Mac Mathuna on RTE1 every Sunday morning - https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/681-history-of-rte/708-rte-2000s/326986-ciaran-mac-mathuna-dies/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

Base price wrote: »
    +1

Although I always loved listening to Ciarian Mac Mathuna on RTE1 every Sunday morning - https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/681-history-of-rte/708-rte-2000s/326986-ciaran-mac-mathuna-dies/

Any time I heard his voice, it brought me back to those Sunday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Fook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

emaherx wrote: »

Think they were cornered in a shop and had to be shot in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Hi all. Just wondering is it safe to plant horse chestnut saplings in a field? I googled it and they say the conkers can be poisonous if eaten but are they appealing to sheep and cattle or only if they are hungry?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cleaned out my freezer today and found a chicken with a best before date of 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Cleaned out my freezer today and found a chicken with a best before date of 2012

Cook it and give it to the dog ?

Hi all. Just wondering is it safe to plant horse chestnut saplings in a field? I googled it and they say the conkers can be poisonous if eaten but are they appealing to sheep and cattle or only if they are hungry?

They would probably only eat dangerous quantities if very hungry - you could go with Sweet Chestnut which is edible

PS: Near my parents place in North Kildare there are a few specimens of the very rare Red Horse Chestnut - a much smaller tree then its commoner cousin so more suiteable for smaller sites like gardens etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Anyone here ever leave straw out in a field in late summer early autumn on a forage crop? Just wondering is there much wastage etc? Auld lad reckons thered be 6 inches of waste around the circumference but i have my doubts about it.
    Agronomist reckons cattle wouldnt get the full benefit of the crop if fed silage in the paddock as the fresh feed intake is reduced. I can get bales for s tenner ex yard atm but i know the lad selling it and he makes lighter bales where possible, so id be looking to buy by the tonne. Avg weight of 4x4 bales is 150kg so twenty bales is three tonne at €200 so €66/T would that be about right?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Birdnuts wrote: »
    They would probably only eat dangerous quantities if very hungry - you could go with Sweet Chestnut which is edible

PS: Near my parents place in North Kildare there are a few specimens of the very rare Red Horse Chestnut - a much smaller tree then its commoner cousin so more suiteable for smaller sites like gardens etc.

That’s what I was thinking. I got potted saplings of an inlaw so will use them. They are a lovely tree

greysides wrote: »
    Like many here I spent 14 years learning Irish. I spent 7 learning French and 3 learning Spanish. I would rate my ability to speak either of them over Irish. I prefer to try to speak them too.
    For me, Irish is a dead language, kept alive by nationalist sentiment. The other two have utility and I've used them on holiday.
    I passed my Leaving Cert with the Irish I learnt in national school. The emphasis in Secondary school on complicated prose and poetry sickened me..... Peig ... what's THAT about...? What use is that to me in normal day to day interaction, if it was needed.
    The whole nationalist bent of teaching the technical points of a language without any emphasis on speach is idiotic and sucks any interest out of it.
    A language first and foremost is about speaking it, prose and poetry only come later. Successive Irish government policies have killed it and I'm not shedding any tears.

I've settled with a gaeilgeoir, there are entire communities where Irish is the first language. Plenty of evidence bilingual kids achieve higher results. It's far from dead. I do wholeheartedly agree that it's taught all wrong in school. I had good Irish in school, and none now because of two similar coming of age revelations, the first was losing the fear of my parents and giving mass the two fingers, the second was leaving school and ditching Irish. I can now easily feel like a foreigner around herselfs homeplace, or attending any family functions. I deeply regret not maintaining my knowledge of our language, and it's nothing got to do with nationalist sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Birdnuts wrote: »

Im in north kildare too. What part re your parents?

I've settled with a gaeilgeoir, there are entire communities where Irish is the first language. Plenty of evidence bilingual kids achieve higher results. It's far from dead. I do wholeheartedly agree that it's taught all wrong in school. I had good Irish in school, and none now because of two similar coming of age revelations, the first was losing the fear of my parents and giving mass the two fingers, the second was leaving school and ditching Irish. I can now easily feel like a foreigner around herselfs homeplace, or attending any family functions. I deeply regret not maintaining my knowledge of our language, and it's nothing got to do with nationalist sentiment.

My missus is from a gaeltacht in north mayo. shes not fluent by any means but comes out with a load of words ive never heard of. I had a teacher in school who read us a book called a thig na thit orm for the LC that i loved. gave me a bit of a liking for the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    My missus is from a gaeltacht in north mayo. shes not fluent by any means but comes out with a load of words ive never heard of. I had a teacher in school who read us a book called a thig na thit orm for the LC that i loved. gave me a bit of a liking for the subject.

The author of that book is Maidhc Dainín ó Sé - Dáithí ó Sés father. I believe he used to drive a milk lorry

The author of that book is Maidhc Dainín ó Sé - Dáithí ó Sés father. I believe he used to drive a milk lorry

yeah thats him. id love to find it in english if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

yeah thats him. id love to find it in english if possible.

Great book as gaeilge but i dont think its in english yet.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Great book as gaeilge but i dont think its in english yet.

https://www.bookdepository.com/House-Dont-Fall-on-Me-Maidhc-Dainin-O-Se/9781856355506?ref=grid-view&qid=1589282468037&sr=1-1

World wide free delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We read that for second year. It was a great book.

Im in north kildare too. What part re your parents?

Near Kill village

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

When you're in two minds whether to post or not..

When your cows have an empty water trough.

When your neighbour has been power washing all day.

When the evening's milking is well back.

When the penny drops about the empty trough and the neighbour power washing during milking.

When you go looking and find a tee piece jutting off that you never knew about. And you putting in a well to cope with water charges and they still on the meter.

When you cut off that pipe and put on a stop joiner instead.

When you say nothing because ye live in each other's ears already and hope they get the message that it's a fair cop.

Well all that..:rolleyes:

When the penny drops about the empty trough and the neighbour power washing during milking.

When you go looking and find a tee piece jutting off that you never knew about. And you putting in a well to cope with water charges and they still on the meter.

When you say nothing because ye live in each other's ears already and hope they get the message that it's a fair cop.

I'd send him a bill, a large one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'd send him a bill, a large one.

Big Bill and his big fists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭straight

Don't burn bridges. Just tell a couple of neighbours. Word went be long spreading about the greedy so and so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement