Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Neighbors can be hard.

Going back when we had cows neighbor one side would take our bull out to his cows when they came round and then leave him. My father got fed up and rather than a row we fenced down the boundary with 4 strands of barb wire and electric fence. Two weeks later the bull seemed to figure out how to snip the wire and make his way out when the cow was round. It took a row to stop it happening.

Other side had sheep with no fencing and we were plagued over about 10 years with sheep in all the time. We went up to the house one day, his mother came out and said the was in bed drunk and couldn’t be talked to. That ended in a row too. He straightened himself out and got cows. I’ve fenced down with mains wire and 20 years went by. I had an animal get loose and into his fields over at his shed. I called, apologies and all that and said I’d come back with the trailer and load her in his yard - he said me and her could fucck off across the fields the way she came !! I was stunned. I just left. Five of us struggled to get her back and it was pure torture. If he was lying sick on the ground I’d step across him.

Both bachelors, both alcoholics. We’re landlocked with bachelors not one of them i could call on. Another had a horse running the road one night last year. I stopped and turned it into his field but there was no gate, drove down to his yard, it was 11pm, he was feeding cattle and all he said was did you not see the ****ing string that ties across the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

straight wrote: »
    Don't burn bridges. Just tell a couple of neighbours. Word went be long spreading about the greedy so and so.

I shouldn't even be posting here.

By the looks of it it was there years but covered over in soil with an old time spring tee piece joiner in before the water charges and in before I had a well.

It's just this evening I had to wonder why the trough was empty and thus I stopped my water and electricity being used for next door.

I check his stock and he checks mine. Likewise we share and borrow things off each other.
    We have to live with each other as there's just a wall between us.

He'll get the message. There's no point falling out either over a pipe and becoming the typical Irish neighbour looking over the hedge at each other with a notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

I shouldn't even be posting here.

By the looks of it it was there years but covered over in soil with an old time spring tee piece joiner in before the water charges and in before I had a well.

It's just this evening I had to wonder why the trough was empty and thus I stopped my water and electricity being used for next door.

I check his stock and he checks mine. Likewise we share and borrow things off each other.
    We have to live with each other as there's just a wall between us.

He'll get the message. There's no point falling out either over a pipe and becoming the typical Irish neighbour looking over the hedge at each other with a notebook.

Fcuk him the cheeky twat. Let the neighbours know what type of mean tight fisted sleeveen their dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He knows, you know, that's enough. Great leverage in your locker.
    Know of a lad who used to throw in an extra bag when loading at a Co-op store. When the store manager copped it, he put five extra bags on you man's bill, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Ah sh1te I was gonna go power washing today but I’ve no water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/mother-and-daughter-die-in-crash-involving-quad-bike-and-tractor-in-co-antrim-39202338.html

Terrible tragedy indeed.

Local man here got a quad recently and is constantly speeding through hilly field beside us with two kids on quad with him, one about 7 on the back and the other maybe 4 between his legs on front, no helmets or anything. Then up and down the road the same to his house. Maybe if he reads about that tragedy he will change his ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

_Brian wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/mother-and-daughter-die-in-crash-involving-quad-bike-and-tractor-in-co-antrim-39202338.html

Terrible tragedy indeed.

Local man here got a quad recently and is constantly speeding through hilly field beside us with two kids on quad with him, one about 7 on the back and the other maybe 4 between his legs on front, no helmets or anything. Then up and down the road the same to his house. Maybe if he reads about that tragedy he will change his ways.

I remember when I was young(guessing 8) I was sitting on the back of the quad holding onto the back rack as my dad drove it out a field gate uphill onto the lane, I got bumped off the back and landed on my head. Luckily I was wearing a bike helmet and I was grand but I learned a lot from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The amount of kids out on pushbikes with no helmet is crazy. Young lad had a bad fall off his bike last year and he cracked his helmet. Some wake up call.

Next Tuesday was supposed to confirmation day around here. There was an envelope in my post box from my sister with 35 euro in it today for my young lad which said happy non confirmation day :eek: now how do I respond to this throw 35 euro in an envelope for her lad or just ignore it? My lad is none the wiser and it doesn't really care that it's not going ahead . My nephew would be very money orientated and had probably planned on getting confirmation money next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Springer that calved yesterday tried to jump over the calving gate last night and caught her front leg up near the top latch. Must have been dangling from it all night. Leg doesn't seem to be broken but she won't get up for me, was on her last legs when I got her this morning. Hopefully she hasn't too much damage done to herself, must have done some dragging trying to get herself free. Never a dull moment with them. Only put her in to feed the calf yesterday and was going letting her off this morning if she had sucked herself :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Springer that calved yesterday tried to jump over the calving gate last night and caught her front leg up near the top latch. Must have been dangling from it all night. Leg doesn't seem to be broken but she won't get up for me, was on her last legs when I got her this morning. Hopefully she hasn't too much damage done to herself, must have done some dragging trying to get herself free. Never a dull moment with them. Only put her in to feed the calf yesterday and was going letting her off this morning if she had sucked herself :(

Nothing would surprise me with the feckers.
    A neighbour of mine went out to check his cattle yesterday evening, one if his cows had got her head stuck between two trees reaching for ivy, still alive luckily. He had to cut one of the trees down to free her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

whelan2 wrote: »
    Next Tuesday was supposed to confirmation day around here. There was an envelope in my post box from my sister with 35 euro in it today for my young lad which said happy non confirmation day :eek: now how do I respond to this throw 35 euro in an envelope for her lad or just ignore it? My lad is none the wiser and it doesn't really care that it's not going ahead . My nephew would be very money orientated and had probably planned on getting confirmation money next week

Maybe they should apply for Covid19 payment due to loss of earnings :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Minister launches app for calf registrations.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/creed-launches-mobile-calf-registration-app-545820

You must be on Agfood to avail of the app but no details of the app name or when it will be generally available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/creed-launches-mobile-calf-registration-app-545820

You must be on Agfood to avail of the app but no details of the app name or when it will be generally available.

is agfood free?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    is agfood free?
    Yes. It is operated by the Dept of Agri.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

unfortunately another child died after being struck by a tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

whelan2 wrote: »

Throw 50 in it altogether ... :D

orm0nd wrote: »

Very sad.

Throw 50 in it altogether ... :D

I'm going to give him 35 and when she texts to say thanks I'll tell her we gave her 35 euro to pieta house. Young lad wanted to give some of his birthday money to charity anyway. Pieta house were good last year when she was ill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

How is she now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

orm0nd wrote: »

Very sad news.

I know the family and child involved.
    Can't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »
    How is she now?

Middling. Won't eat or drink. Say she's in awful pain, had vet out. Nothing broken and shoulder isn't dislocated. Said she could have nerve damage, torn muscles and ligaments. Her leg is very swollen from the knuckle right up to the shoulder. He gave a shot of anti inflammatory and said not much else we can do only give her a bit of time. Still can't understand how she managed to catch her leg the way she did. Pure freak of a thing.

Calf-reg is the name of the app, more details in the link below.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/department-launches-calf-registration-app-for-farmers-39203632.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    Nothing would surprise me with the feckers.
    A neighbour of mine went out to check his cattle yesterday evening, one if his cows had got her head stuck between two trees reaching for ivy, still alive luckily. He had to cut one of the trees down to free her.

I had a cow do just that a few years back. A whitethorn bush and her head stuck in a 'V' between 2 branches. She was the maddest cow I had at the time. The bush was up high on an earth bank, so I had to get in and cut under her with a chainsaw a couple on inches from her neck. Dropped the saw and legged it when she was free.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Middling. Won't eat or drink. Say she's in awful pain, had vet out. Nothing broken and shoulder isn't dislocated. Said she could have nerve damage, torn muscles and ligaments. Her leg is very swollen from the knuckle right up to the shoulder. He gave a shot of anti inflammatory and said not much else we can do only give her a bit of time. Still can't understand how she managed to catch her leg the way she did. Pure freak of a thing.

You’d be surprised the small corner they will get caught in, last year I was rushing home so the OH could go to work and had about 5 minutes to check cattle, a bullock hanging upside down, his front huff caught in the small chain I tie gages with. In past the knuckle where I wouldn’t be able get my hand. He was calm so I cut chai. With hacksaw.
    There was not a bother on him at all. But you’d be amazed.
    I hope the heifer makes a recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Had a mad bitch of a ewe in for a few days here with a bad foot so i could inject her etc. i was using a haynet to give her hay rather than put on ground. She got caught in it and just stood there bleating till i found her after work. Let me take it off without fuss and for some reason has been quite ever since. I no longer have to chase her around the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I had a cow do just that a few years back. A whitethorn bush and her head stuck in a 'V' between 2 branches. She was the maddest cow I had at the time. The bush was up high on an earth bank, so I had to get in and cut under her with a chainsaw a couple on inches from her neck. Dropped the saw and legged it when she was free.

Jaysus. What did you do with her after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Once had a stock bull manage to trap himself, by the nose ring, on a whitethorn bush with an upturned broken branch. He wasn’t discovered until mid-day Monday. With the amount of dung and wee on the ground behind him, he could have been there since the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Jaysus. What did you do with her after.

She wasn't caught there that long, I'd say. I found her in the morning just before work. She was perfect after but I culled her years later as she was so mad.
    It was crazy though, as I was working the chainsaw right beside her neck.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Once had a stock bull manage to trap himself, by the nose ring, on a whitethorn bush with an upturned broken branch. He wasn’t discovered until mid-day Monday. With the amount of dung and wee on the ground behind him, he could have been there since the Saturday.

That's the reason I don't put a chain on a bull anymore. I had a very tricky sunday morning trying to unwrap a chain from around a branch of a tree and there's no way I'm going through that again.

Any cross bull gets sold but thankfully I've only had to do that once. Once I don't have to be watching the bull all the time while I'm checking the cattle, I don't mind.

Won't suit some but works here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement