Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

tanko wrote: »
    Hard to believe it's thirty years ago now.
    I brought my TV + rabbit ears into work so that we could watch it. There was 30 odd of us gathered around and not a bit of work was done that afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Auld lad reckons a longer chain is less likely to get caught.

That’s ok until you come across a clever Bull.
    We had a great breeding CH bull years ago that turned cross after 4 or 5 seasons,put a chain on him to slow him down.In end the fecker had figured out how to run at you while holding his head to one side to stop himself standing on the chain!

He had to get the road then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

That’s ok until you come across a clever Bull.
    We had a great breeding CH bull years ago that turned cross after 4 or 5 seasons,put a chain on him to slow him down.In end the fecker had figured out how to run at you while holding his head to one side to stop himself standing on the chain!

He had to get the road then.

Know what ye mean there too. Mainly have the chain in here regardless to get a better earth off the chain and get them used to the fence. I suppose having a fence around the bounds would keep him from heading in close to the ditches.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Are tractor tyre places open?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

ganmo wrote: »
    Are tractor tyre places open?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cut some whyns yesterday.
    What would you paint on stumps to stop regrowth??

Have GrazonPro here. Would that do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

_Brian wrote: »
    Cut some whyns yesterday.
    What would you paint on stumps to stop regrowth??

Have GrazonPro here. Would that do ?

Yes that’s ideal for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Going to re fence some fields that have hedges growing through them.
    What is the best thing to back onto the hedge to prevent this coming through again and running the fence?
    I like having hedges for the shelter they provide, but others here would prefer the place like the tundra because of how they wreck fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What is the best thing to back onto the hedge to prevent this coming through again and running the fence?
    I like having hedges for the shelter they provide, but others here would prefer the place like the tundra because of how they wreck fencing.

Leave the fence out far enough, that you can run a hedge cutter inside it. Say 2.5 feet.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Hedge will grow through every fence, you won't stop it.
    What are you fencing for, sheep or cattle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

wrangler wrote: »
    Hedge will grow through every fence, you won't stop it.
    What are you fencing for, sheep or cattle

Both.

Both.

You just have to accept that the hedge will grow through the wire, if you don't keep the hedge trimmed it'll be impossible to do maintenance, replace stakes, etc on the fence, if you allow the hedge push down the wire it'll be a mess.
    Alternatively some put the fence two ft out from the hedge to allow the hedge trimmer to work between them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Yes that’s ideal for them.
    Covering the stumps with the dead branches after been sprayed helps too

Covering the stumps with the dead branches after been sprayed helps too

They’ve been taken away, these were whyns growing along the lane. Let get too strong actually so I’m treating the stumps to avoid that happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

They’ve been taken away, these were whyns growing along the lane. Let get too strong actually so I’m treating the stumps to avoid that happening again.

Drill a hole in the stumps get a syringe of roundup or grazon squirt into hole. Cover over with a bit of plastic elastic band or string to hold it on. Have done this on Haynes before and it killed them alright.

jimini0 wrote: »
    Drill a hole in the stumps get a syringe of roundup or grazon squirt into hole. Cover over with a bit of plastic elastic band or string to hold it on. Have done this on Haynes before and it killed them alright.

Have done that with single tree but too many for that detail.

I’ll paint on the grazon and hopefully that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Good programme on the Riordan's just finishing up now on RTE. It's a pity there's so few episodes left to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Anyone buy or price rollers for a McHale bale handler lately, the ones that slide over the tines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

€1 one month subscription to the Farmers Journal offer online today, for those interested.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/oneeurosubscribeform.php

Have done that with single tree but too many for that detail.

I’ll paint on the grazon and hopefully that works.

Painting on didn't work here with roundup, I wait for a dry fore cast and go with the cordless drill and jug of roundup. I kill elders that way when sowing white thorns iin old rotten ditches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭jfh

Cut silage last week, usually spread slurry as soon as possible after but contractor busy, plus there's a lot of grass around headland so going to leave it a few weeks.
    Wonder would there much difference on regrowth, there's not a whole lot going on for 10 after a cut anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

€1 one month subscription to the Farmers Journal offer online today, for those interested.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/oneeurosubscribeform.php

and 15 euro every month thereafter. I rarely buy it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    and 15 euro every month thereafter. I rarely buy it tbh

Actually that's dearer than buying it in the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Did you ever have one of those days where you start one job & in the middle of that you start something else as you spot it when in the barn. And next thing you know you've the topper hooked up and while topping you spot a bit of fencing knocked and you top to go fix that, on the way for a post you see the peas need stakes so get the snips to cut some and you've forgotten the fencing.....etc :pac:
    Have to go wash a calf's navel now as it broke, been washing it in the field for a while. No idea where he picked up an infection as he got iodined.
    Better tell him he's a disgrace to the limo name too, he's supposed to be a nutcase, not standing in the field for a wash:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well organised, very disciplined, would be my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Wolf attack on two calves in Germany on a 70 cow organic dairy farm.

https://www.hna.de/lokales/witzenhausen/wolf-hessen-kaelber-bio-hof-gerissen-zr-13752236.html

*Seemingly they came on holiday from Donegal to sample the local cuisine in Germany.
    **(No they didn't really).

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Have over 100 bales left over. Was thinking of giving my neighbour the silage off a 6 acre field that is just closed for silage in july. He is looking for a bit of ground to take silage off and is finding it hard to source some ground. Hes 100% dont want to flece him just the going rate. ... any idea what i should be looking for it? I put 2bags to the acre of fertiliser on it at the weekend. Didnt go to mad with the fert.... price per bale taken off or just a lump sum ? He has his own machinery to make the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

€100 + the fertiliser standing/acre?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

So €5 a bale is very cheap if he gets 60 bale off it? €300 + 150 for fert

• Advertisement

So €5 a bale is very cheap if he gets 60 bale off it? €300 + 150 for fert

Ridiculously cheap.
    But if he’s a really good neighbor and you want to do him a big favour then it’s fine.

If he’s not the sort of fella that will return the favour I’d be saying €10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement