Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Ya I bought it off whelans in barefield just outside Ennis, They are the main hyundai dealers found them the finest to deal with in fairness, couldn't fault them and they have a huge range of parts in stock. Saying that if I change it down the road I don't think I'll go for a hyundai ag
    ain.

Thanks for that. Hyundai here too , couldn't fault it but beginning to show its age.
    any particular reason you wouldn't go Hyundai again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

wrangler wrote: »
    Painting on didn't work here with roundup, I wait for a dry fore cast and go with the cordless drill and jug of roundup. I kill elders that way when sowing white thorns iin old rotten ditches

Epsom salts does the same trick, it just rots it by absorbing moisture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Local piggery is trying to charge €70 for a 6000gal (artic lorry) load. They were landing it free in the farmers tank up till the end of march.

€70 for 6000 gals! What's the point in that? Sh!t money in every way. Just give it away or keep it I'd tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Local piggery is trying to charge €70 for a 6000gal (artic lorry) load. They were landing it free in the farmers tank up till the end of march.

Are they looking for maps as well as the €70?
    Cheaper buying artificial.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Are they looking for maps as well as the €70?
    Cheaper buying artificial.

Yeah. Looking for paperwork too. They haven't had too many takers. The €70 is to cover haulage, I told them I'd pass.
    They send it out 25 miles in January and February for nothing and the paperwork get "lost"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I got the pig slurry last year too. Free to take, or €40 for 6000gal delivered. Covers the cost of the artic I suppose so not too bad. Better than €50 for 2000gal and have to collect it yerself!

I've to try source an alternative supply here now of the cattle stuff. Would prefer slurry to the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In a long wet winter, you'd get it delivered for free.
    With ground so dry and silage being cut, they think they can charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Skulled a bullock yesterday and bita blood coming out of his nose dis Eve? Anything to worry about? He seems fine is grazing away

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Think I might have been mixing the auld milk replacer a big strong! Bag gone in 9 days for 4 calves !!
    Even brought up the kitchen scales the first evening to get the weight of a scoop by a tin can so I'd be right or so I thought. They're not leaving any behind em anyway and they're happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Think I might have been mixing the auld milk replacer a big strong! Bag gone in 9 days for 4 calves !!
    Even brought up the kitchen scales the first evening to get the weight of a scoop by a tin can so I'd be right or so I thought. They're not leaving any behind em anyway and they're happy out.
    By my quick calculation feeding at a rate of 135g per litre x 2l per feed x tad = 540g/calf per day meaning a 20kg bag will feed 4 calves for 9.25 days.
    Edit - most cmr have a base feeding rate of either 125g or 135g per litre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

This is a handy guide I used

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lashing rain and wind down here in Cork. Put the cattle in for the night as they were near the shed and walk in and out anyway. Really cut up two paddocks on the last two wet nights.

Base price wrote: »
    By my quick calculation feeding at a rate of 135g per litre x 2l per feed x tad = 540g/calf per day meaning a 20kg bag will feed 4 calves for 9.25 days.
    Edit - most cmr have a base feeding rate of either 125g or 135g per litre.

Your on the ball. Just read the bag again and my mix is right just hadn't worked out how long it would last.
    How long would normally keep them on twice a day ? They are eating a sop of hay and eating bout .5 kg of crunch

Your on the ball. Just read the bag again and my mix is right just hadn't worked out how long it would last.
    How long would normally keep them on twice a day ? They are eating a sop of hay and eating bout .5 kg of crunch

Mine are 65 days old. They will be finished the milk tomorrow eve. They are happy outside eating grass during the day and in at night on hay and nuts. My 2 didn't like the crunch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

marathon wrote: »
    Skulled a bullock yesterday and bita blood coming out of his nose dis Eve? Anything to worry about? He seems fine is grazing away

Blood can travel from the horn cavity down through the sinuses and out the nose. Probably harmless but it's not a great time of year for skulling.
    I'd keep an eye on him and watch out for flies and infection setting in.
    Did you put some Stockholm tar on him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Water John wrote: »
    Lashing rain and wind down here in Cork. Put the cattle in for the night as they were near the shed and walk in and out anyway. Really cut up two paddocks on the last two wet nights.

There's some difference in a small country, no rain worth talking about here in Sligo the last week but promised to turn damp over the weekend. Spent the day spraying whins and briars on heavy ground. I got a much needed haircut last night and the head is burnt off me today with the sun, it'll be some change whenever the weather breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

advice needed- :-)
    I have some fields beside a town. ive cattle in the fields. problem is there is young 'scumbag' kids chasing the cattle(the cattle a lovely quiet ones who would try lick your hand)- chaising them getting the cattle into a state/sweat. the kids are going into a nearby forestry(guards know but do nothing). speaking to a lad ..he said i would need to be very careful, would love to catch 'em and give a serious crack of a stick. ..any advise? they have left gates open and have even cut wire to ease their access into the forestry(i dont own).
    anyone have any experience with this? options? many thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

MikeSoys wrote: »
    I have some fields beside a town. ive cattle in the fields. problem is there is young 'scumbag' kids chasing the cattle(the cattle a lovely quiet ones who would try lick your hand)- chaising them getting the cattle into a state/sweat. the kids are going into a nearby forestry(guards know but do nothing). speaking to a lad ..he said i would need to be very careful, would love to catch 'em and give a serious crack of a stick. ..any advise? they have left gates open and have even cut wire to ease their access into the forestry(i dont own).

I'd teach them some "respect" the old fashioned way - failing that, try and locate the parents and tell them they will be billed for any loss suffered via a solicitors letter if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

^^ Set it if you're thinking of development potential.
    Sell it now if you want a handier life.

Probably not the answers you want but sure someone had to get them out of the way.

Emaherx I believe has land adjacent to an urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I live not that far from Limerick city and a few of my neighbours have land right beside some rough housing estates. One neighbour has to take hay straight out of the field when baled or they will set fire to it. Another had sheep taken and he had to go into the estate and take them back.

What I noticed when I was on the land was, they keep the gates right up to the road edge, so that nobody can pull in to dump rubbish. The land is also surrounded with thick well kept whitethorn hedge. Kids won't get through it.

Better to become friends rather than enemies with them. They'll make your life hell othewise.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

What age are they.
    If they are eating .5kg each then they should be ok. Iv'e a few here that went on oad today. I fed them 3l just before lunch to see how they adjusted to the extra milk. They would have been getting up on 2.5l tad in the last week. They are settled tonight and not looking for a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Cutting the wire is criminal damage. Make sure you keep telling the guards of when that happens.
    Other than that, encourage nettles along the forest boundary, spread slurry when they are in the forest, put up a single strand poly wire along the forest fence...and hook up a battery fence everynow and then

I know a man that had a field next to a housing estate. The kids used to chase the cows around the place. He put in an electric fence. Had the unit well hidden so they couldn't see it. Had a sign up to say electric fence caution. He accidentally connected it to the gates

Base price wrote: »
    What age are they.
    If they are eating .5kg each then they should be ok. Iv'e a few here that went on oad today. I fed them 3l just before lunch to see how they adjusted to the extra milk. They would have been getting up on 2.5l tad in the last week. They are settled tonight and not looking for a feed.

Between 40 and 50 days. Going into work again this week but just for a few hours so the tad is ok to manage. Will probably start doing regular hours from Monday week so was thinking of going to oad then.

Cattle can be bsatards at times. First really bad evening since they went to grass. Mother rang about 8.45 to ask had I moved the cattle and given the full field of grass. She knew something was up as I always strip graze so they wouldn't have the full field. Had gone through an electric fence.Sorted anyway but got soaked.
    They couldn't do it on a fine evening of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

tanko wrote: »
    Blood can travel from the horn cavity down through the sinuses and out the nose. Probably harmless but it's not a great time of year for skulling.
    I'd keep an eye on him and watch out for flies and infection setting in.
    Did you put some Stockholm tar on him?

Never knew that bout blood travelling tru sinuses. He seems fine this evening eating grass and meal. Yes put tar on him and hopefully flies stay away. Cheers for info much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You'll be saying, feck him, with my tuppence worth after getting soaked. This year I use two lines and put up the forward line for the second next feed as I leave them forward. Even if the shock is gone, they'd usually don't break it if they've had a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

marathon wrote: »
    Never knew that bout blood travelling tru sinuses. He seems fine this evening eating grass and meal. Yes put tar on him and hopefully flies stay away. Cheers for info much appreciated

Flies are your enemy this time of year. Will Need right watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Thanks for that. Hyundai here too , couldn't fault it but beginning to show its age.
    any particular reason you wouldn't go Hyundai again?

Think they lacking a bit of power to be honest, you'd know when you catch something solid. I worked for a contractor for a good few years and he had a 312c cat that I was used to driving and it might be an unfair comparison. I'd have a volvo or a cat if I could justify it.

• Advertisement

Between 40 and 50 days. Going into work again this week but just for a few hours so the tad is ok to manage. Will probably start doing regular hours from Monday week so was thinking of going to oad then.
    They will be fine. Read the back of the bag and see what the recommendation is for once a day feeding as in how many grms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement