Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Anyone know if Dunnes stores open for clothes or is it just food? I need underpants and socks. Had a look online but all i can find when i search for underwear is victoria secret or the likes and that stuff wont do at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Odelay wrote: »
    Anyone know if Dunnes stores open for clothes or is it just food? I need underpants and socks. Had a look online but all i can find when i search for underwear is victoria secret or the likes and that stuff wont do at all.

Ideal for the bulling season though.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Odelay wrote: »

Ya, Dunnes clothes are open. Heard someone complaining that ordinary clothes shops couldn't open, but they could.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any plans for the bank holiday weekend? Btw this day 30 weeks is Christmas day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No worries, just wanted to see has anyone experienced similar before is all while I was waiting for a second opinion from a Vet. He came this morning and said it was Brown snout/Photosensitization. Inside of the bulls mouth was all sores and under his testicles was all inflamed too. We didn't notice his skin being red seeing as he's a Saler bull so his hair is that colour already! Vet said he could have got it from eating a St. Johnswort plant and it just so happened to affect him instead of the other cows/calves in the herd, the effects of it might only affect one animal but wouldn't affect others. Two weeks indoors and a anti inflammatory injections and he should be fine. Thanks all for the suggestions, I appreciate it.
    It’s not a nice illness.
    Think the lighter skin breeds are more prone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

It’s not a nice illness.
    Think the lighter skin breeds are more prone

Ya that's what the vet said too. Have never seen it before so at least now I'll know what the symptoms look like, every day is a school day in farming!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any plans for the bank holiday weekend? Btw this day 30 weeks is Christmas day :D

Putting in the 1st cut. Great weather for it.

straight wrote: »
    Putting in the 1st cut. Great weather for it.

I think you grazed yours too? Are you happy with the crop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭straight

I think you grazed yours too? Are you happy with the crop?

Ya, good crop and good quality. Got the fertiliser out on it fairly early and it grew well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

A girl at work tonight mentioned that in normal times the Cowboys and heroes country music weekend would be on in Drumcoura city this weekend. I wouldn't be a great one for night's out but the better half and myself would usually venture up the Saturday and Sunday night and always looked forward too it the last few years.

They'd have gotten great weather and no doubt serious crowds if it could have went ahead and the same for all other festivals and shows. I'd wonder if a lot of those types of event's will take place again with the way the world has gone over Covid. A lot of the smaller festivals and regional show's and fair's were barely surviving and I can't help but think this will be the final nail in the coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Ya, Dunnes clothes are open. Heard someone complaining that ordinary clothes shops couldn't open, but they could.

They are not all open.
    Drapery only stores are closed as are some drapery departments in the larger stores particularly if they have 2 separate floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

30 weeks, Jeez

BBQ will get fired up at some stage, other than that another quiet lockdown weekend.

Sent the girls off painting a few doors on the farm while I set up for 3hrs online training.
    Looking out the window regretting registering for the course.

There’s a bit of role reversal, they off with the radio on the farm and me sitting looking out the window “learning” wishing I was out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A girl at work tonight mentioned that in normal times the Cowboys and heroes country music weekend would be on in Drumcoura city this weekend. I wouldn't be a great one for night's out but the better half and myself would usually venture up the Saturday and Sunday night and always looked forward too it the last few years.

They'd have gotten great weather and no doubt serious crowds if it could have went ahead and the same for all other festivals and shows. I'd wonder if a lot of those types of event's will take place again with the way the world has gone over Covid. A lot of the smaller festivals and regional show's and fair's were barely surviving and I can't help but think this will be the final nail in the coffin.

Never been, but drove by
    It was quite impressive and a fantastic boost for the local villages
    Could be allot of pubs not reopening when restrictions are lifted

We were saying yesterday it'll be interesting to see how many kids go back to football etc

We were saying yesterday it'll be interesting to see how many kids go back to football etc

Yep.
    Had same conversation yesterday abkut swimming, plus reduced training capacity. Will take time to build club momentum up again.

_Brian wrote: »
    Yep.
    Had same conversation yesterday abkut swimming, plus reduced training capacity. Will take time to build club momentum up again.

Hasnt really stopped here. Youngest out every day playing football. Eldest lad never stopped the running. I feel sorry for youngest lad as he was on 4 teams and then nothing

Hasnt really stopped here. Youngest out every day playing football. Eldest lad never stopped the running. I feel sorry for youngest lad as he was on 4 teams and then nothing

Swimming is a bust at the moment. Eldest went from 10hrs swim training a week to nothing overnight. Serious withdrawal from the pool. Younger girl was 6 hrs a week.

Pool will run at very limited capacity when it returns so we don’t yet know how that will work or the additional cost per session, fewer swimmers per session may end up paying more.

Girls have been running here in the farm most day and doing land based exercises but it’s not the same. Eldest had qualified for an international competition this week and is very disappointed not to be attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Is the competition going ahead?

Is the competition going ahead?

No it’s cancelled.

I think the biggest disappointment is this would have signalled the end of her elite athlete competitions. For next season she will be training and competing less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Never been, but drove by
    It was quite impressive and a fantastic boost for the local villages
    Could be allot of pubs not reopening when restrictions are lifted

It's something I'd recommend even if your not that particularly into the country scene, there's always lot's happening and a great atmosphere of a good summers night.

I'm of the same opinion as regards pubs and other small businesses especially in rural Ireland. A lot of them were ran by older people who might not bother with the hassle of reopening and more won't be able to afford to ride out the economic storm that is to come.

Barbecue and bulmers. Kids put up their pool in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Barbecue and bulmers. Kids put up their pool in the garden

Ya never invited me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My OH and I are married 7 years on Tuesday so we went to the hotel where we had the reception for a take out meal. Ate it on a picnic bench. Lovely grub. Times definitely have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Space X ready to go this time. 8.22pm and passing 15 mins later and again at 10.15pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Water John wrote: »
    Space X ready to go this time. 8.22pm and passing 15 mins later and again at 10.15pm.

Any link to live video

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Good lift off. Too cloudy to the South here. Base's live feed was 30 sec ahead of the one I posted, strange difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Water John wrote: »
    Good lift off. Too cloudy to the South here. Base's live feed was 30 sec ahead of the one I posted, strange difference.

Hard to keep up to BP!

Will it be visible tonight? To the south? Low/high?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement