Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'm listening to language lessons every morning milking, I'm 38 now and its bloody hard to take it in

I think learning language is either hard wired into your brain to make it easy or it isn’t. You’ll still learn it but it will take much more effort if your brain isn’t that way inclined.

Good on ya.

The barrier of language stopped me emigrating to France years ago, wife is near fluent and kids we’re pre school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Finished first cut here yesterday. Some of it was fine and a good crop, but one big field was shocking and only yielded 5 bales/acre. All land got same slurry and fertiliser. Just this field was very poor. Any thoughts on what could have gone wrong this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Finished first cut here yesterday. Some of it was fine and a good crop, but one big field was shocking and only yielded 5 bales/acre. All land got same slurry and fertiliser. Just this field was very poor. Any thoughts on what could have gone wrong this year?

Does it need lime?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Does it need lime?

Honestly, don't know. It went through a lime program along with the rest of the place a few years ago. Gonna test again later in the year and have fresh info. Just very strange to have one field so far back on the rest. A test will shed some light for sure

Honestly, don't know. It went through a lime program along with the rest of the place a few years ago. Gonna test again later in the year and have fresh info. Just very strange to have one field so far back on the rest. A test will shed some light for sure

I had one field under performing. I put loads of slurry on it etc. Didn't make any difference. Soil tested it last year and out out lime last October. It's like a different field this year

• Advertisement

Thanks. Will get it tested later in the year after the 2nd cut. The father isn't a fan of slurry or fert! He says he'll cut whatever is on it and it be grand, but then gives out when it yields low :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

How would i go about soil testing?.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thanks. Will get it tested later in the year after the 2nd cut. The father isn't a fan of slurry or fert! He says he'll cut whatever is on it and it be grand, but then gives out when it yields low :D

I've a neighbour like that, lovely land grows nothing now apart from big daisies and buttercups ....... all newly reseeded 15 yrs ago before he bought the land

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

Teagasc is the best place to get it tested if you've never done it before, it's important to get a proper sample.
    Don't sample until 3+ months after spreading fertiliser or farmyard manure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You'd be wondering if they were walking a dog at the time and it was omitted in the article or unknown by the journalist..

You'd be wondering if they were walking a dog at the time and it was omitted in the article or unknown by the journalist..

Ye I read another article and they had a dog with them. Seems to be a free for all over there with people thinking the countryside is theirs to roam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ye I read another article and they had a dog with them. Seems to be a free for all over there with people thinking the countryside is theirs to roam

Every weekend for the past month we've had to put multiple walkers and cyclists out of our place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Had it any shelter?
    Noticed fields with shelter had better growth

Not a nice record to have but it's a great honour at the same time to do.

I carried my fourth coffin today.

Today's was a close relation, a hard worker, a jovial sort with everyone, a fault was he'd never say No, a history buff, a sort that never needed a calculator, a marksman, an expert on farming, a family man, a friend always at the end of the phone.

He died after a short illness on Sunday.

I was bringing in silage on Saturday with a neighbour to speed me up. Get the job done.
    In all my years at silage bales. This was the first year I've never seen a crow in the field or flying over in two different bits of land. I was going to say it to my neighbour but he remarked first.
    I asked him had someone poisoned them or what. No he says they're still there. He was drawing two miles away a few days before and the place was covered in crows.

Thank you D for the one last hand at silage..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If you take 20 cores from a field and send to FBA labs in Waterford.
    Generally take the sample in November - February when there’s 8 weeks from fertilizer/ slurry / FYM application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It sort of is. Where our rural areas remained populated, theirs was depopulated and moved to cities, town and villages and their old right of ways remained opened to anyone.

Ours remained as well but ours were paved for traffic whereas theirs remained in open fields as ditches were knocked for machinery.

I came across a twitter thread a while back on it, I'll see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

They pretty well do over there due to the public footpaths through farmland.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anyone else see the video of Luke Ming addressing the EU by video in his underpants.

• Advertisement

They pretty well do over there due to the public footpaths through farmland.

The bridlepaths and right to roam pretty much allow people to go as they please. Excellent when used right but sadly it never is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

_Brian wrote: »
    Anyone else see the video of Luke Ming addressing the EU by video in his underpants.

Showing his green side 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Was it a stunt on purpose by Ming to bring attention to the issues or ...normal Ming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Dozer1

My condolences say my name...I'm sure you all did as responsible send off as allowed.

Unfortunately in my own town yesterday we'd a funeral that must sicken anyone who lost a loved one during this time. The bravado and 2 fingered salute to us all from the downtrodden minority of our country. I'm sure the videos are making their way through WhatsApp

Dozer1 wrote: »
    My condolences say my name...I'm sure you all did as responsible send off as allowed.

A lovely gesture today was people standing outside their houses, farms, crossroads and the hearse slowing down for everyone to pay respects as it passed by.

If there is a positive act that may be continued after the lockdown ends. This would be a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Not a nice record to have but it's a great honour at the same time to do.

I carried my fourth coffin today.

Today's was a close relation, a hard worker, a jovial sort with everyone, a fault was he'd never say No, a history buff, a sort that never needed a calculator, a marksman, an expert on farming, a family man, a friend always at the end of the phone.

He died after a short illness on Sunday.

I was bringing in silage on Saturday with a neighbour to speed me up. Get the job done.
    In all my years at silage bales. This was the first year I've never seen a crow in the field or flying over in two different bits of land. I was going to say it to my neighbour but he remarked first.
    I asked him had someone poisoned them or what. No he says they're still there. He was drawing two miles away a few days before and the place was covered in crows.

Thank you D for the one last hand at silage..
    Condolences Say.
    Dad would have been in with him weekly for a good few years there.

A lovely gesture today was people standing outside their houses, farms, crossroads and the hearse slowing down for everyone to pay respects as it passed by.

If there is a positive act that may be continued after the lockdown ends. This would be a nice one.

Very sorry for your loss. I hope they continue traditions like that also. We had a neighbour pass away a few months ago who was very active with our little residents association and everyone lined the entrance to the village when the hearse came back. After living in England for a few years i have to say i appreciate the sense of community here far more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Very sorry for your loss. I hope they continue traditions like that also. We had a neighbour pass away a few months ago who was very active with our little residents association and everyone lined the entrance to the village when the hearse came back. After living in England for a few years i have to say i appreciate the sense of community here far more.

My mam is from collon and there the shops pull down the shutters when funerals are coming out of the church. It's a lovely gesture

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    My mam is from collon and there the shops pull down the shutters when funerals are coming out of the church. It's a lovely gesture

Do not all shops do that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement