Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do not all shops do that?

No, that’s not some locally any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Working on a government construction job for the last 2 weeks.... the waste is amazing. On a scale I could never have imagined. Everything is on days works and everyone knows it too.
    The day drags when I'm doing very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Working on a government construction job for the last 2 weeks.... the waste is amazing. On a scale I could never have imagined. Everything is on days works and everyone knows it too.

Nothing new there :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Nothing new there :D

The difference is I'm getting paid well on this job for doing very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If you’re low for fluke would you dose?
    Got Results telling low for fluke, was going to dose but now thinking of leaving till July
    Any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

There was a big controversial government job in Oz that finished up last year it was all a numbers game and money for jam i only got on it occasionally and it was the best wage i ever got. However i knew a few city boys who were on it full time looking busy and they had to head home when it finishsd up as they couldnt handle real work on other sites afterwards.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There was a big controversial government job in Oz that finished up last year it was all a numbers game and money for jam i only got on it occasionally and it was the best wage i ever got. However i knew a few city boys who were on it full time looking busy and they had to head home when it finishsd up as they couldnt handle real work on other sites afterwards.

It’s amazing how quickly ya get a bit soft.
    When I went back to work after my accident I had been off for 18months. Took a factory floor maintenance contract in an injection moulding plant. No lie the first two weeks back were hard going until I built up some stamina again.

Back pushing paper again now and it would be same if I went back on the tools now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

It makes you soft tbh. i had loads of that type of work when i was in the uk and used to only send the lazy lads to them. The other lads used to go mad hanging around and end up on the drink

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s amazing how quickly ya get a bit soft.
    When I went back to work after my accident I had been off for 18months. Took a factory floor maintenance contract in an injection moulding plant. No lie the first two weeks back were hard going until I built up some stamina again.

Back pushing paper again now and it would be same if I went back on the tools now.

Thats for sure, big difference between dairy farming and construction work anytime i switched betweem the two you wouldnt be long knowing about it.

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Remember how we were supposed to be planting trees on our grassland to stop global warming?
    Turns out it was all based on incorrect data all along.
    https://twitter.com/GHGGuru/status/1268180596934668289?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Got a few hens today. Last time we had them a pine marten killed most of them. The dog is very interested in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

The difference is I'm getting paid well on this job for doing very little.

Say nothing and keep sluicing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    Got a few hens today. Last time we had them a pine marten killed most of them. The dog is very interested in them.

Iv mink around here, id need a fort knox like coup for hens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have you much run for the hens

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Silly question, but is there any signs of pine martens other than seeing them?

Our yard is just beside a river. Local hunting lads have seen them. Apart from the massacre of the hens, I haven't seen them. Tbh I wouldn't be watching out for them

Have you much run for the hens

No they are in a makey up coop in the garden atm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

No they are in a makey up coop in the garden atm

The dogs not keep them away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Oliver Callan back on Radio 1 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Is it only my father that loves doing stuff the hard way?. I try to do things in a way thats as easy as possible even if it takes a few minutes longer but hes mad to just bull in but half kill both of us in the process. I got a small lorry of bales last night and i wanted to roll them off and move around with bale lifter but he wanted to move them completely by hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

visatorro wrote: »
    Iv mink around here, id need a fort knox like coup for hens.

Get a mink trap and trap hard for 6 months.youd have no bother with getting your hens then.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Is it only my father that loves doing stuff the hard way?. I try to do things in a way thats as easy as possible even if it takes a few minutes longer but hes mad to just bull in but half kill both of us in the process. I got a small lorry of bales last night and i wanted to roll them off and move around with bale lifter but he wanted to move them completely by hand.

Trying to convince the auld lad to fence around a field were putting a forage crop in, right beside a main road its like talking to a wall. Told him to try get the strainers driven whenever a contractor is passing by or working nearby and have it ready for when i get back to tip away at during tbe two week isolation im back two months now back working an hour away from home or so and hes thinking of making a start st it now.
    First it was too expensive, then too much work, then a waste of time and money together and now he wouldnt like asking a lad ro drive a few strainers wed nearly need to give them the full job. Its impossible to win with him at times i had to explain to him if they got on the road do ye really want to see me walking away and saying i told ye so in a situation like that? That kinda got him thinking a bit more about it.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Trying to convince the auld lad to fence around a field were putting a forage crop in, right beside a main road its like talking to a wall. Told him to try get the strainers driven whenever a contractor is passing by or working nearby and have it ready for when i get back to tip away at during tbe two week isolation im back two months now back working an hour away from home or so and hes thinking of making a start st it now.
    First it was too expensive, then too much work, then a waste of time and money together and now he wouldnt like asking a lad ro drive a few strainers wed nearly need to give them the full job. Its impossible to win with him at times i had to explain to him if they got on the road do ye really want to see me walking away and saying i told ye so in a situation like that? That kinda got him thinking a bit more about it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/stray-cattle-killed-after-causing-car-pile-up-on-m3-motorway-1.2927796

a few more newspaper cuttings like this should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭straight

Ya, that's what they're like. Give him a few more years and he won't be able to move them by hand so he'll do it the easier way then. I wonder will we all be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Oliver Callan back on Radio 1 this morning

The man is obsessed with Leo Varadkar. #notallheroeswearshirts

The man is obsessed with Leo Varadkar. #notallheroeswearshirts

Callan has been turning into a right plonker for the last 18 months. I don't know what's wrong with the fool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The jobs I think of are never as important as his jobs. Anything I price up can always be got cheaper. When I get a great deal he would prefer to buy off someone else.
    Feckin ould lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

We reclaimed a two acre field over the past couple of months and were waiting on rain to be forecast before sowing the grasseed. Last week I was about to hook on the sower and my father says I'll sow it. I says fair enough but do you want me to throw in a couple of bags of fertiliser with it. That would be a bit heavy to carry he says. My bemused and puzzled look obviously registered with him and he explained himself.

Despite being 75, needing a new knee and having a severely infected and swollen finger, with bad arthritis in both hands he took three bags of grass seed and a bucket and set off to sow the field broadcasting by hand. Sure what else would I be doing with myself he retorts.

At that I knew there is absolutely no point in the future of trying to stop him doing things that he wants to, his way. I may as well appreciate the hardship he wants to give himself and accept that he'll happily die doing something like that on his land.

He'll reap what he sows I suppose. :D

ganmo wrote: »
    The jobs I think of are never as important as his jobs. Anything I price up can always be got cheaper. When I get a great deal he would prefer to buy off someone else.
    Feckin ould lads

Priced it to €.79c/metre before own labour, use of our tractor and use of the post driver from fence post supplier.
    Wants to put in cheap timber stakes, mid steel wire, screw in insulators, leave it unstrained and pull it all up again next year then.
    For a lad who is conscious of what neighbours think he has no problem having fences lying on ditches by the road etc whereas i couldnt give a damn about neighbours talking about the state of the place but id just rather have a good fence to make life handier on myeelf.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Callan has been turning into a right plonker for the last 18 months. I don't know what's wrong with the fool

Pre marital problems. :pac:

Ah you wouldn't know what do be going on with people. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement