Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Tamp finish we did for a fella a few weeks ago.

That’s a mighty job

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

those "Hands" programmes are exceptional. could watch them all day. There's one on hurley making with a young Brian Cody

I couldn't agree more and the only pity is that there weren't more programs made. I've long given up watching Rte and television in general but I've watched the "Hands" episodes on YouTube numerous times. The likes of the Shannon boat builder and Power's of the metal episodes give an insight into a totally different way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grueller wrote: »
    Have the full box set here. The one on carriage making was unreal.

Was that the enniscorthy crew?
    Breens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's a bit late now asking for advice but I took the plunge today and bought a Stihl MS211? What's people's opinions on the saw? I only tried it out for a few minutes tonight but it's miles ahead of my previous saw in the power department.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Breens.

Ya. Seriously talented men

• Advertisement

Breens.

Ya. Seriously talented men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Is it only my father that loves doing stuff the hard way?. I try to do things in a way thats as easy as possible even if it takes a few minutes longer but hes mad to just bull in but half kill both of us in the process. I got a small lorry of bales last night and i wanted to roll them off and move around with bale lifter but he wanted to move them completely by hand.

No they’re all like that. There’s a lad beside me always out rooting and bolloxing with a shovel/spade or pick putting in shores into a drain wouldn’t use a digger. Loves hardship . One of these days I’ll stop the car get out and give him a boot up the hole, for being an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Grueller wrote: »
    Have the full box set here. The one on carriage making was unreal.
    Does the box set include the earlier b&w videos. Reason I ask is because a neighbour (Longford) was filmed by Hands sometime in the late '60's/early 70's hand weaving. I think he wove a turf basket/creel.

Base price wrote: »
    Does the box set include the earlier b&w videos. Reason I ask is because a neighbour (Longford) was filmed by Hands sometime in the late '60's/early 70's hand weaving. I think he wove a turf basket/creel.

There is one in there on basket weaving Base. I am not sure if it is black and white or not though. I haven't watched them in a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

It's a bit late now asking for advice but I took the plunge today and bought a Stihl MS211? What's people's opinions on the saw? I only tried it out for a few minutes tonight but it's miles ahead of my previous saw in the power department.

There a grand saw, Tbh tho I'd recommend any fella who does abit of saw work to buy a professional saw, allot less problems down the road aswell as increased performance. Obviously there more money first day but if you look after um, they easily pay for themselves over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

That’s a mighty job

Its ok, a pity he made us reuse the old rusty pillars and sculling gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Bless him. I hope you followed him into the field so you learned to broadcast seed by hand :)

Oh Base, I learnt that skill a long time ago, thus why i was putting on the sower... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Its ok, a pity he made us reuse the old rusty pillars and sculling gate.

I saw that, takes the shine off the effort of putting up such a good unit. Is that gate just held by two welds and a bolt? Surely he could have bought a head gate and have it concreted in, giving himself peace of mind. I'd be feared every time I ran an animal into that race that it would continue on through with the gate over its head.

I saw that, takes the shine off the effort of putting up such a good unit. Is that gate just held by two welds and a bolt? Surely he could have bought a head gate and have it concreted in, giving himself peace of mind. I'd be feared every time I ran an animal into that race that it would continue on through with the gate over its head.

Ya that's all. Can buy a new semi auto for 270 and get the vat back aswell on it. Another €700 would have made a great job out of it, no telling him though and it wasn't for a lack of trying. Only put a 5ft wall in it too, no way would he put a 6ft one in, would have been an extra 2m of concrete and the pans were high enough. It's a miracle it turned out as well as it did. Didn't want to put steel in the wall either but we put the foot down with that. A job you'd be delighted to be finished in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ya can go anywhere within 20km of home, plus now you can go anywhere in Kildare too. It's to give bit more freedom within the county for people. You're restricted to 20k from home once you leave the county border

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Ya can go anywhere within 20km of home, plus now you can go anywhere in Kildare too. It's to give bit more freedom within the county for people. You're restricted to 20k from home once you leave the county border

I cycle with the 905's from edenderry. They are able to small group cycle now anywhere in offaly but i cant join them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I cycle with the 905's from edenderry. They are able to small group cycle now anywhere in offaly but i cant join them :p

Be grateful for small wins ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see the CCPC (Competition and Consumer Protection Commission) have come out and stated that there is no cartel or breaches of competition law within the beef industry after their extensive research. Unfortunately the article is subscriber only. It makes my blood boil reading it - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/no-cartel-in-the-beef-industry-competition-watchdog-550294

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/no-evidence-of-pricing-cartel-in-beef-industry-competition-authority-39263201.html

It's good that there's such cutthroat competition between factories for beef. I'll sleep soundly knowing all is well in our industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Ya that's all. Can buy a new semi auto for 270 and get the vat back aswell on it. Another €700 would have made a great job out of it, no telling him though and it wasn't for a lack of trying. Only put a 5ft wall in it too, no way would he put a 6ft one in, would have been an extra 2m of concrete and the pans were high enough. It's a miracle it turned out as well as it did. Didn't want to put steel in the wall either but we put the foot down with that. A job you'd be delighted to be finished in.
    Putting in a crush with 37” 4 bar gates between posts
    How much should we leave from concrete to bottom of gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I see the CCPC (Competition and Consumer Protection Commission) have come out and stated that there is no cartel or breaches of competition law within the beef industry after their extensive research. Unfortunately the article is subscriber only. It makes my blood boil reading it - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/no-cartel-in-the-beef-industry-competition-watchdog-550294

These new farm organisations are just going over the same ground as we did ten to twenty years ago with the same results.
    It's hilarious, 200 complaints to CPPC ,each complaint a copy of the previous one, complaining about collusion.
    Unless they show some initiative now they might as well give up.

Putting in a crush with 37” 4 bar gates between posts
    How much should we leave from concrete to bottom of gate?

Are you putting a step in it? I like to have the top bar around 4'6". 12-14" gap I'd say, I wouldn't like to be going any bigger with calves. 4" step would close it up enough, I know some fellas don't like a step on the chute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

wrangler wrote: »
    These new farm organisations are just going over the same ground as we did ten to twenty years ago with the same results.
    It's hilarious, 200 complaints to CPPC ,each complaint a copy of the previous one, complaining about collusion.

Next clusterf**k will be meat & bonemeal.
    We export 1000 tons a week to the uk.
    If they actually leave the EU, we can no longer do so.
    That's about 40 artic loads a week..
    Factories will surely use it as a way to cut prices further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Next clusterf**k will be meat & bonemeal.
    We export 1000 tons a week to the uk.
    If they actually leave the EU, we can no longer do so.
    That's about 40 artic loads a week..
    Factories will surely use it as a way to cut prices further.

What do they do with it

wrangler wrote: »
    kevthegaff wrote: »
    What do they do with it

Burn it.
    It's considered dangerous waste, and seemingly you can't export dangerous waste out of the EU.

This evenings messing.
    Hopefully be concreted in by this time tomorrow.

PDPxn98.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bunker?

Yeah, chemical warfare ... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Bunker?

Sheep dipping tank, great job if you can have it under the race,
    with a dummy sheep up front and a spring loaded trapdoor they just fall in

This discussion has been closed.