Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

By your measure the UK is in recession too.
    It requires two successive quarters of negative growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Pipe going into shed is 1/2” HG with mains pressure
    Would that be good enough?
    Like to clean floor on livestock trailer, wash tools, weighing scales etc

It’d clean them once the dirt is wet if you get me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    I wish brexit would just fook off at this stage

Should we move the Brexit chat to the Brexit for farmers thread that was around a while back and people can post there if they want to discuss it and leave this thread free from Brexit?

Because we'll have nothing but Brexit for the next few weeks at least, I'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

One of those mornings here today. Some days you wonder why do you bother at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Same here...
    WpYy9Ae.jpg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭148multi

Its just a bad day, not a bad life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

1. for to put food on the table
    2. for the love of it

Looking at the dairy cattle section on done deal this last few weeks. More ads on it that are not dairy cattle than those that are. Easy fix stuff, Himalayan rock salt, concrete troughs, automatic farm gates, bord bia compliance ads ... .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Looking at the dairy cattle section on done deal this last few weeks. More ads on it that are not dairy cattle than those that are. Easy fix stuff, Himalayan rock salt, concrete troughs, automatic farm gates, bord bia compliance ads ... .
    If you look on the left hand side of the screen under seller type and click on private ads - you will cut out the majority of commercial advertisements.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/cX8szNPgrEs.

The manics sum it all up for me.

Went for the cows early this morning. I have a lad spreading lime today. Lorry load of lime arrived at 5.40 am. From about an hour away from here. He had brought 4 loads yesterday. He must have been up early

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Daddy dearest stood on a nail Monday morning & between the farm & house stuff I forgot to pay my internet bill & was cut off til this evening bar using the phone.
    So what have I missed :D

Had to practically force him into the doctors to get a tetanus jab. Only for I reminded him about the auld 15yr old cow which died of it a few years ago he'd probably not have gone either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Strange sign I seen on Sunday

2019-09-01-18-46-43.jpg

Something about the Japanese Knotweed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Daddy dearest stood on a nail Monday morning & between the farm & house stuff I forgot to pay my internet bill & was cut off til this evening bar using the phone.
    So what have I missed :D

Had to practically force him into the doctors to get a tetanus jab. Only for I reminded him about the auld 15yr old cow which died of it a few years ago he'd probably not have gone either!!

Get him a pair of safety boots. Was he wearing his boat shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Odelay wrote: »
    Get him a pair of safety boots. Was he wearing his boat shoes?

Wellies! Where he got stuck on it is muddy so wouldn't be terrain for boots.
    So.....recommendations for decent wellies also needed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

And a metal detector

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

2019-09-01-18-46-43.jpg

Yeah passed a Jeep locally with the same signage- it’s exactly that- Japanese knotweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

A new tv show on the history channel- the “butcher” where 4 contestants butcher various carcasses. They had an alligator for the final last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

2019-09-01-18-46-43.jpg

Kilbeggan, were you there for a protest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's some amount of 'large' blocks of farmland for sale in this country this year.

Just on the journal this week.
    180 acres Kildare.
    277 acres Kildare.
    184 acres Galway.

5 pages taken up with property in the journal this week.

216 acre farm near Bunclody sold a few days ago too.

If one had money. One could buy half the country in this last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

There's some amount of 'large' blocks of farmland for sale in this country this year.

180 acres Kildare.
    277 acres Kildare.
    184 acres Galway.

Dont tell larry

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No, his sons only get hold of it, the cheap way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    Dont tell larry

Them farms would be too small for Larry.
    Larry be looking for something like this.

30,000 acres of a farm.
    https://twitter.com/FarmersWeekly/status/1167469529347383296?s=20

The farm near to Bunclody was sold in lots I believe to the GAA, a hotelier and a tillage farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

180 acres Kildare.
    277 acres Kildare.
    184 acres Galway.

There was a sale in cork a few weeks back, same story add in the paper but it was 3 lads that were renting it for years bought it between them, elderly owners had passed so an executers sale. There will be land come up due to demographics of the farming community but a share I reckon may not change who is actually farming it
    Dropped the mother into the bus in cork there, was in for 6.45 no traffic, on the way out traffic was building away. If working in town you'd nearly want a job where you could start at that time, sitting in traffic to be in for 8 or 9 would drive you cracked, well me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

2019-09-06-07-45-56.jpg

What is this on the radiator? Never seen anything like it before and it's only on one side. I've tried turning the plastic bit and it turns, but appears to do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭148multi

2019-09-06-07-45-56.jpg

What is this on the radiator? Never seen anything like it before and it's only on one side. I've tried turning the plastic bit and it turns, but appears to do nothing

It's a bleeder for letting trapped air out, u turn the center bit with a flat screwdriver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

148multi wrote: »
    It's a bleeder for letting trapped air out, u turn the center bit with a flat screwdriver

Have a cloth and a basin underneath, turn the screw slowly until water start to flow. A lot of air escaping could be a sign of a leak in the heating system. Rusty coloured water could indicate that gun barrel pipes were used instead of copper.(in old systems).

Tie up the ball cock in the expansion tank in the attic, leave for a few days to see if the water level drops

You could expect air in the system if it had recently been drained down and refilled following repairs.

Then a bit of cillit bang should get rid of the rust stain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Reggie. wrote: »
    Dont tell larry

Them farms would be too small for Larry.
    Larry be looking for something like this.

30,000 acres of a farm.
    https://twitter.com/FarmersWeekly/status/1167469529347383296?s=20

The farm near to Bunclody was sold in lots I believe to the GAA, a hotelier and a tillage farmer.
    That was split across 4 or5 estates, bought cheap when death dues were on the go. Set up as a buisiness and as moved down through generations the kids/grandkids couldnt be paid off when some wanted to cash in.
    Frederic hiam would be another such example. Was for sale a few years and the money saved by exchange rates changes would pay to kit it out fairly well. The list of parrasites wanting their slice will cost a few years income though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement