Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Weed licking is allowed though under LIPP
    Nope it's not. Please be aware of the terms and conditions of the scheme - weed wiping/licking is only allowed if rushes are present in LIPP pastures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Never have much issues with docks here - I wonder do they not do well with sheep?

The seaweed you’re putting out is purchased is it, it’s not a homemade job?

I've relations and then a neighbour with sheep. No docks on their farms.

That seaweed is purchased. I've a feeling it could be the molasses. Whatever it is it's working this year.
    If only itd work on nettles and thistles..
    I've notions of chopping them and putting them in the slurry tank and getting value from them that way.
    Anyone with a free ride on lawnmower?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Weed licking is allowed though under LIPP

I mean licking of all weeds, not just for rushes. The wording is in such a way that it appears only rushes can be treated with a licker. There's one field of ours a sorrowful state with thistles at the moment & I'd not like to try explaining why the thistles are suddenly all dead if we had an inspection.
    Pesticides are not permitted, except for spot treatment of noxious and invasive weeds and rushes. Where present, rushes must be controlled either mechanically, by weed wiping and/or by spot spraying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭visatorro

Mobile internet with Vodafone here. Clear line of sight of their mast. Coverage with last month comes and goes at all hrs. Its only just back after being out for last hr. Swapped over to another phone but made no difference. I think the speed slowed since the lockdown.

Phone is with eir. Never had good 4g until lockdown then it just magically appeared.
    Eir broadband through the phone line in the house has gotten slower though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I mean licking of all weeds, not just for rushes. The wording is in such a way that it appears only rushes can be treated with a licker. There's one field of ours a sorrowful state with thistles at the moment & I'd not like to try explaining why the thistles are suddenly all dead if we had an inspection.

You're right the wording is ambiguous but the spec also says this: "All spraying or broadcast application of herbicides must be avoided, but spot application and wipe
    on treatment to eradicate docks, thistles and similar noxious weeds can be used."

In any case, spot treatment spraying is allowed.

And thistles - if the only weed problem - will rarely ever set seed before July so if you top them the first of July there should be no seed spread.
    They will flower alright but not form seed heads before July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

That seaweed is purchased. I've a feeling it could be the molasses. Whatever it is it's working this year

Is it any good with rushes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You're right the wording is ambiguous but the spec also says this: "All spraying or broadcast application of herbicides must be avoided, but spot application and wipe
    on treatment to eradicate docks, thistles and similar noxious weeds can be used."

In any case, spot treatment spraying is allowed.

And thistles - if the only weed problem - will rarely ever set seed before July so if you top them the first of July there should be no seed spread.
    They will flower alright but not form seed heads before July.
    The GLAS t&c's are quite clear about weed licking/wiping in LIPP pastures - see page 35 - https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche1/GLASTranche1Spec161015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is it any good with rushes?

I don't know. Don't have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Base price wrote: »
    The GLAS t&c's are quite clear about weed licking/wiping in LIPP pastures - see page 35 - https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche1/GLASTranche1Spec161015.pdf

I know your interpretation of it. You posted the same last June.
    The ambiguity is that - it says you can weed wipe rushes - it doesn't say you can't weed wipe other noxious weeds.
    I think it was Brian who said last year; if there's ambiguity there and it works to your advantage then you should use it, if you feel you need to.

Personally, I understood people wanting to have fields nice and tidy looking, but nice and tidy does not not equal biodiverse.
    Sure I'd love to have my own LIPP thistles topped and looking tidy now, but 1st July is only three weeks away and it's worth the wait.
    Plus, waiting is saving me diesel - as the old thistle saying goes "cut in June - grow again soon, cut in July - sure to die"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

visatorro wrote: »
    Phone is with eir. Never had good 4g until lockdown then it just magically appeared.
    Eir broadband through the phone line in the house has gotten slower though!

We had 3 mobile broadband for a long time but it went to **** over the last while. I got a speed logger to keep a log of how many hours a day it was online...6 hours a day, usually overnight

Loggger.com was the logger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The EU appear to have allowed another farm retirement scheme for the next round of CAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Base price wrote: »

"Pesticides are not permitted, except for spot treatment of noxious and invasive weeds
    and rushes.
    "

Surely docks are considered an invasive weed if let get out of control and take over a field?? By that understanding there should be no problem hitting them with the knapsack before they become too plentiful on lipp ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The EU appear to have allowed another farm retirement scheme for the next round of CAP.

Any info on it?

ganmo wrote: »
    Any info on it?

There’s a bit on Agriland
    Possibly €10000/year

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If memory serves me the last retirement scheme didn't work out too well for participants. Payments frozen at a set rate and eroded by inflation.
    Maybe tied in with leasing land it would make an attractive package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Water John wrote: »
    If memory serves me the last retirement scheme didn't work out too well for participants. Payments frozen at a set rate and eroded by inflation.
    Maybe tied in with leasing land it would make an attractive package.

Was it true that the reciepients couldnt even help out on farms whike in reciept of it or was that a spin put on it by the older crowd here?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Can you retire at 46?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

whelan2 wrote: »
    Can you retire at 46?

Would you be allowed to keep butterflies or moths

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

148multi wrote: »
    Would you be allowed to keep butterflies or moths

Yes, but not snails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Was it true that the reciepients couldnt even help out on farms whike in reciept of it or was that a spin put on it by the older crowd here?

It was a bit stupid
    They could work on other people's but not on their own
    There were also overpayments where lads drew the oap but forgot to tell the department so ended up with years of a claw back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, you couldn't help out on the farm. Great fodder for troublesome nosey neighbours.
    Joe Walsh's BIL was at the receiving end of that.

Yes, you couldn't help out on the farm. Great fodder for troublesome nosey neighbours.

Just remember rhe grandfather saying he met a lad he went to school with when he was around the 80 mark and he was saying he couldnt even keep a few calves to occupy himself even.
    Definitly saw the difference between my grandfather and another man ten years younger who retired, no stress still able to be the gopher on the farm, do odd jobs om his prude and joy of a tractoe and tip away wirh a few horses and enjoy his later years and the son got to drive on the farm to a serious operation whereas here it was held onto until his last breath depopulated and rundown leaving a headache for the next lads so in my view its a great idea.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Just remember rhe grandfather saying he met a lad he went to school with when he was around the 80 mark and he was saying he couldnt even keep a few calves to occupy himself even.
    Definitly saw the difference between my grandfather and another man ten years younger who retired, no stress still able to be the gopher on the farm, do odd jobs om his prude and joy of a tractoe and tip away wirh a few horses and enjoy his later years and the son got to drive on the farm to a serious operation whereas here it was held onto until his last breath depopulated and rundown leaving a headache for the next lads so in my view its a great idea.

Same happening here with the in laws place. 100 acres with 30 cattle on it. Even asked if I could rent some off him but was told he was finished farming and was denied.

Better living everyone

Reggie. wrote: »
    Same happening here with the in laws place. 100 acres with 30 cattle on it. Even asked if I could rent some off him but was told he was finished farming and was denied.

Cant make head nor tails of it myself like this lad used to go on about hard work and having good stock around the place but in the finishing of it all the place was nearly like the places he used to rave about where lads were wasters, alcoholics and no good. On a side note most farmers fond of a drop around here have lovely setups my thinking behind it is they have to work so they can enjoy themselves and the last thing they want on a saturday evening (myself included) is to have to delay heading out due to cattle going through fences, water problems or poorly maintsined machinery letting them down :)

Better living everyone

Cant make head nor tails of it myself like this lad used to go on about hard work and having good stock around the place but in the finishing of it all the place was nearly like the places he used to rave about where lads were wasters, alcoholics and no good. On a side note most farmers fond of a drop around here have lovely setups my thinking behind it is they have to work so they can enjoy themselves and the last thing they want on a saturday evening (myself included) is to have to delay heading out due to cattle going through fences, water problems or poorly maintsined machinery letting them down :)

Is it pride? (Don’t want to accept help - Regis point)
    Or lose the heart as they’re not able to do as much as they once did?
    It’s a sad finale

Is it pride? (Don’t want to accept help - Regis point)
    Or lose the heart as they’re not able to do as much as they once did?
    It’s a sad finale

Oh no well able to accept help from myself and the father i think he just didnt want to see us make a go of it in his lifetime.

Better living everyone

Oh no well able to accept help from myself and the father i think he just didnt want to see us make a go of it in his lifetime.

Hopefully I don’t get like that
    Be nice to sit back and take pride of all your hard work and how it’s progressing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Done the Bord Bia virtual remote audit today.

Handy enough affair. I'd about a week up upload pics of the various items ( 3 pics of cattle, some blue cards, the blue book, medicines etc) to a link provided.
    Straightforward enough.
    The audit is finalised over the phone with a call of about 30 mins or so.
    I'd take it over an actual audit any day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The country is full of those sort of setups and it's strangling the bit of interest out of a lot of the younger generation. A work colleague of mine often tells me how his father transferred the bit of land and herd number into his name as a present on his 23rd birthday. It was his to do as he wished but the only stipulation was that if he stayed farming he was to do the same with his own son or daughter when the time came. Our man added to the farm and done the same with his son when he turned 23 and the latest successor has improved the place yet again.

On the other side of it I've a relation who waited until he was nearly 60 before his 90 year old uncle passed away and left him the place. It had sat for 20 year's growing whins and rushes because the old man refused to let anyone do anything with it. What good is becoming the boss at 60 year's old? It's time to be thinking long and hard about your own successor at that point not finally sitting into the driving seat. Yes you can have an input and tip about but you should have made your mark at that stage and be ready to let the next generation have there turn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement