Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Biggest load of **** ever, what happens when all these progressive :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: young farmers start farming all these big places with to their potential, everyone makes money but the farmer, how many do u see on here crying about the weather prices etc and then more, why in the name of fu,ck dyu think more land more cattle :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: is an improvement, jesus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is it pride? (Don’t want to accept help - Regis point)
    Or lose the heart as they’re not able to do as much as they once did?
    It’s a sad finale

Dont think so. Well able to look for me to mow or spread slurry with the machines but wouldnt give ya turn of renting you a few acres. Think it's a control thing. I'd say he would hate to see me do better than he could. Non stop giving out about farming and complaining that no one helps him but if you arrived into the yard he wouldnt want you there. Still wouldnt rent it out after all that. Rather see it go downhill. Barely gets any fert through the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Done the Bord Bia virtual remote audit today.

Handy enough affair. I'd about a week up upload pics of the various items ( 3 pics of cattle, some blue cards, the blue book, medicines etc) to a link provided.
    Straightforward enough.
    The audit is finalised over the phone with a call of about 30 mins or so.
    I'd take it over an actual audit any day!

I had mine yesterday too. Phone call was well over an hour. Had to go to outfarm to take the call as no coverage on phone at home. Ye was handy enough . Apparently glanbia suppliers get extra questions :rolleyes: 24 sections to upload photos to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

just passed tb test , clear for another year (dont know are cattle wilder or am i getting older but it seems to take alittle more effort
    every year !!! ) next up bord bia remote audit , then crvt on jeep ( plenty people our parents managed to live without all pulling a wage
    .. rant over )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Was it true that the reciepients couldnt even help out on farms whike in reciept of it or was that a spin put on it by the older crowd here?

The recipients weren't suppose to work on farm. However most continued as before, while the young farmer continued in their job , thus defeating the purpose of the scheme. A total waste of taxpayers money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

When you're partaking in some mindfulness lying out on the lawn looking up at the clouds passing by and then a flying mouse passes over..
    And you wonder then how these flying mice have no tails like birds do to control flight.

When you're partaking in some mindfulness lying out on the lawn looking up at the clouds passing by and then a flying mouse passes over..
    And you wonder then how these flying mice have no tails like birds do to control flight.

Have you been drinking the seaweed water again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »

Nope. :p

I had to Google it up there now.

The Common Pipistrelle does have a tail of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I presume he means bats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was right - bats. People used to think they were flying mice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Dont think so. Well able to look for me to mow or spread slurry with the machines but wouldnt give ya turn of renting you a few acres. Think it's a control thing. I'd say he would hate to see me do better than he could. Non stop giving out about farming and complaining that no one helps him but if you arrived into the yard he wouldnt want you there. Still wouldnt rent it out after all that. Rather see it go downhill. Barely gets any fert through the year.

Most fertiliser doesn't improve the land, so no harm done there.

Kids football starting back. Hopefully we can get back to some sort of normality now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

whelan2 wrote: »
    Kids football starting back. Hopefully we can get back to some sort of normality now.

Jeez I don't know, I don't think we're at the right stage yet of gangs of kids being together and then all going home to their individual houses, I was reading there there's a second stage of covid after breaking out in China, we're far from finished with this yet unfortunately.

GoneHome wrote: »
    Jeez I don't know, I don't think we're at the right stage yet of gangs of kids being together and then all going home to their individual houses, I was reading there there's a second stage of covid after breaking out in China, we're far from finished with this yet unfortunately.

Unfortunately I'd say your right

But what do you do? We can't stay in lockdown forever. We have had zoom football training , challenges, etc. The kids are now meeting back up with their friends anyway.

But what do you do? We can't stay in lockdown forever. We have had zoom football training , challenges, etc. The kids are now meeting back up with their friends anyway.

It really is at the stage of watching your own back, I know my own brother with two kids hasn't left them meet any of their friends since mid March, we have elderly parents so it's safer not having any contact with people from our own circle, no way would I be leaving them into a gang of other kids for GAA training

What age are the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Strange how a "second wave" occurs after people have, by and large, isolated for 10 weeks.
    For a virus which we were told passes in about 2 weeks.
    Either the infectious period is far longer than 2 weeks, or the period between infection and symptoms appearing is far longer than thought.

Anyway, testing was extremely limited, and numbers seeking tests are decreasing.
    Local test centre only open every second day now, and I know folk who sought a test and were refused...

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Strange how a "second wave" occurs after people have, by and large, isolated for 10 weeks.
    For a virus which we were told passes in about 2 weeks.
    Either the infectious period is far longer than 2 weeks, or the period between infection and symptoms appearing is far longer than thought.

Anyway, testing was extremely limited, and numbers seeking tests are decreasing.
    Local test centre only open every second day now, and I know folk who sought a test and were refused...

I'm not an expert but I'm just telling you what I heard on the radio this morning that there's the start of a second wave starting in China, so we're far from out of the woods here

I can't see what harm training outdoors can be. Temperature taken before training, sanitizer used , own water bottle etc. Kids need to get back to it at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Would cattle eat Foxgloves??

As above....

Checked a batch of heifers this morning @ 7.30. Heifer panting, a bit unsteady on her feet. Put her into pen on the land. Phoned vet, he arrived @ 9.15.Heifer already dead. He examined her and reckoned some kind of poisoning or bacterial blood poisoning.. Purple colour around her mouth & tongue.

Absolutely no ragworth or anything like that in the field, no occurrence of blackleg on the farm for years. No digging or bare ground in the field..... Heifer was 100% yesterday.

However this eve I noticed a few foxgloves in the ditch this eve?. I wonder if she might have ate one, they are poisonous to cattle I think, but never heard of cattle eating them.

I can't see what harm training outdoors can be. Temperature taken before training, sanitizer used , own water bottle etc. Kids need to get back to it at this stage

I don't know, I feel people are being far too complacent, one of us goes to the supermarket once a week and that's the only contact we have with the outside world, we're both working from home on our laptops and abiding by all rules if we do go out i.e. wearing a mask and gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You're right, it's unsustainable the way it is, country is going to have to be opened up now..
    It's mickey mouse now, some isolating, some not, it'll never be sorted, those making the rules have risked nothing yet. Theres people that'll lose their businesses even at this stage

wrangler wrote: »
    You're right, it's unsustainable the way it is, country is going to have to be opened up now..
    It's mickey mouse now, some isolating, some not, it'll never be sorted, those making the rules have risked nothing yet. Theres people that'll lose their businesses even at this stage

But do they not see that staying alive and not getting the virus is a better option than any financial concerns, I really don't know where peoples priorities are like seriously leaving the kids out to football training in close contact with other kids and then back home Christ what are people thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

But do they not see that staying alive and not getting the virus is a better option than any financial concerns, I really don't know where peoples priorities are like seriously leaving the kids out to football training in close contact with other kids and then back home Christ what are people thinking.

So how long before we go back....what if there is no cure. Continue cocooning forever. Who will pay for all this?

As posted previously, take reasonable precautions eg kids training. My father is 75, my mother is 74, both of them are happy to move on with precautions.

We live next door to my parents, we havent stepped foot in their house since March 12th. How long do you want people to isolate? look at the stupid queues yesterday for penneys. Given the choice of being ina queue for a shop or having the kids back out on a field I know what I'd choose

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Would cattle eat Foxgloves??

As above....

Checked a batch of heifers this morning @ 7.30. Heifer panting, a bit unsteady on her feet. Put her into pen on the land. Phoned vet, he arrived @ 9.15.Heifer already dead. He examined her and reckoned some kind of poisoning or bacterial blood poisoning.. Purple colour around her mouth & tongue.

Absolutely no ragworth or anything like that in the field, no occurrence of blackleg on the farm for years. No digging or bare ground in the field..... Heifer was 100% yesterday.

However this eve I noticed a few foxgloves in the ditch this eve?. I wonder if she might have ate one, they are poisonous to cattle I think, but never heard of cattle eating them.
    Will you get a post mortem done on her?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    So how long before we go back....what if there is no cure. Continue cocooning forever. Who will pay for all this?

As posted previously, take reasonable precautions eg kids training. My father is 75, my mother is 74, both of them are happy to move on with precautions.

Young families are paying dearly now to protect older and high risk people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Will you get a post mortem done on her?

No, was in two minds but with the weekend and warm weather and cost and disgust I dont think I will. ..

• Advertisement

We live next door to my parents, we havent stepped foot in their house since March 12th. How long do you want people to isolate? look at the stupid queues yesterday for penneys. Given the choice of being ina queue for a shop or having the kids back out on a field I know what I'd choose

But do you not see that it's all very arbitary, I'm the same my parents are in their 70s we haven't seen them physically since mid-March, that's my point why would you then think it's ok for your kids to mix with other kids in close proximity and then come home to your house and likewise with all the other kids that are there at the training, madness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement